Neil Young - The Visitor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree. Does everything have to be political? I realize that we live in a political world, but c'mon.

warewolf95 and DrJ like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I like Nils and his work with Neil Young. And while I wouldn't call Nils a "sycophant", the man has been effusive in his praise of Neil right down to recording an entire album of Neil Young songs! I seriously doubt Lofgren would ever question Young's musical direction.

davers, JoeRockhead and DTK like this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope it's his sci-fi album about martians. The full story of "Ride My Llama." It's going to be a looong walk not around the block.

shakti, polchik, bob chabot and 3 others like this.
  4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I heard it's old, but it's good.

5. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

So Neil has another studio record in the can with Promise of the Real. He spent a relatively long time in the studio, by his standards. This was his intent as stated late last year. Recently Lukas called this effort "The best Neil Young record in 20 years", citing "subtle lyrics". We also know that Neil has been working on a fiction book over the last few years. And there were rumors that he was working on some sort of a "western" film this year as well. So, one can speculate some synergy here. I have assumed that "The Visitor" was a project that he was getting ready to unveil and he seems to hold it in high esteem. Perhaps his recent pouring over the 70s archival material has provided him some sort of a reminder of who he is. The last time he did that, Freedom was the result.

And related to another thread, I think Poncho is the only comrade Neil has that can tell him exactly what is on his mind without fear.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nicely said.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

As long as it's not in that Jack White phone booth Neil used last time..

..."Look out mamma mia there's a white boat comin up the river..."

8. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

This sounds great. I think that he announced it in a small town in Ontario means something too.

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks VERY much for that grisly image; made me run for MY bathroom... :laugh:

10. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Not to mention "When you take a chance on me I can really love"

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Neil promising stuff to his fans always pays off! :nyah:

Macman likes this.
  12. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

P
    I don't see that Nils has ever been anything other that supportive of Neil on the TTN out Trans Band tours. I don't see Nils as a David Briggs figure on Neil's career.

13. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Only David Briggs and Jack Nitsche have said that to Neil, alas neither around now.

Sean, ohnothimagen, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Since 2003, anyway [ducks under GREENDALE DVD-A case]

Sean, malco49, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

aren't you all forgetting that he put that song on spotify with the promise of the real a couple months ago? i would assume the "new" album will be an extension of that.

16. Having seen Neil with both Crazy Horse (2013) and Promise Of The Real (2016) I think it wouldn't be such a bad thing at all. Promise Of The Real brought all the intensity and energy to Neil's material that Crazy Horse really couldn't bring to it anymore in 2013. That 2013 show was a big letdown for me after the strong Psychedelic Pill album and after listening to a 2001 Crazy Horse show the day of the show.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  17. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

I sincerely hope not. I’ve defended most of his recent work but that song was horrible. Never want to hear it again.
    Looking forward to finding out what “The Visitor” means. Hopefully he’s not too late to cause a stir...

keef285, ExHead and Zeki like this.
  18. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

... and then Neil Young tours with the ABBA holograms.

19. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I disagree. I loved both Psychedelic Pill and the Alchemy tour. His last great works.

Sean, stef1205, purple-lazy and 6 others like this.
  20. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

20 years ago puts us in 1997 ("thatcantbetwentyyearsago!"), so it's not really such an extraordinary claim, seeing as almost all of Neil's most remarkable work was done before then. Though I agree with others that it will have to be something very special to eclipse Greendale. His last few albums have all had flashes of genius that hint another great album may well be just around the corner.

Looking beyond the significant second-hand hype, I haven't been particularly impressed with Promise Of The Real as a backing band for Neil, at least on the songs traditionally performed by Crazy Horse. Neil's work with them has followed the principle "more is more" (more musicians, more notes, more guitars, more songs), whereas his work with Crazy Horse tends to adhere more towards "less is more". I think overall the latter philosophy flatters his music much better, and certainly brings out more of that "spook" we've heard so much about.

POTR do allow him the luxury of relaxing a bit on stage in old age, leaving the music in capable hands, whereas Crazy Horse can fall apart if Neil isn't at 100%. POtR provide a safety net; Crazy Horse take him to the cliff edge. POTR are also very youthful. Which is presumably part of appeal for someone with "Young" in his name. Unfortunately aging is something that can't be run away from, it catches up with us whether we face up to it and accept it or not.

I agree that Poncho is the last person left who really pushes Neil, the last torch-carrier of the old-school Briggs methodology. Almost every single recording Neil has done with Poncho (whether with Crazy Horse or not) is fantastic. It's a great shame he hasn't featured on more of Neil 's records since 1996, and I think his lengthy absence has contributed to the mediocrity of many of those efforts.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    highway, Sean, glewes and 6 others like this.
  21. RoyalPineapple

The idea that Crazy Horse no longer had the "intensity and energy" in recent years is a strangely common observation, often paired with the observation that POTR somehow "energised" Neil, as if in 2014 he were an aging robot desperately in need of new batteries to resuscitate him.

The recordings from 2012-2014 immediately dispel this notion (particularly, 2012 and 2014). Check out the video below and you will hear Neil Young and Crazy Horse no way lacking in either musical energy or intensity.

And yes, this isn't strictly Crazy Horse. Instead of Billy Talbot on bass, there is the great Rick Rosas standing in. But Rick was no youngster himself, and by this time was already dying of lung disease (and still putting in a great performance).

Nor is it a criticsm of POTR, who as you'd expect have plenty of energy themselves. But the basic point stands that age hasn't robbed Crazy Horse of their intensity; in some ways, it has only made it more focused.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    hazard, Pawpaw, GregK and 3 others like this.
  22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

with all the horrible things going on in this world, i am glad that we still have a world where neil young is alive and making new music.

23. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i fear crazy horse it done. i don't think they have the collective energy needed at this point in their lives.

24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i agree i think they don't have the collective energy needed at this point in their lives.
    neil is wise to use new younger musicians sprinkled in with the likes of jim keltner.
    i for one like the POTR and think the two records they made are both very good.i also like peace trail a lot!

Sean and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. RoyalPineapple

Possibly now in 2017 they have come to a conclusion, especially after Billy's stroke (and with Rick no longer around to stand in).

At the same time, we are talking about making music, not weightlifting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.