Neil Young - Time Fades Away (withdrawn 1995 HDCD CD Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah, you are probably right. His celebration of solidiers and patriotism on a supposedly anti-war album provides a strange dichotomy for a European fan.

2. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

WHERE is this CD easy to get???
    It is a rare collectors item.

ARK likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the worst possible scenario would be neil young releasing "time fades away" as part of an "archives" set.

the first archives set was a massive disappointment in terms of unreleased material, and to include "time fades away" in a second set without releasing it in a stand alone version would be fleecing at the highest degree.

just friggin release "time fades away" and "journey through the past" and be done with it.

as for archives, make it ALL unreleased material, one-offs, and b-sides, the die hard neil young fans have all the albums, they want the stuff they cannot find or afford because of collector prices.

and who really believes we will see and "archives II" before 2015 (at the earliest) anyway? he will release at least 5 - 7 more new albums before it ever sees the light of day.

jsayers and Kubricker like this.
  4. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I'm loving this thread about one of my favorite albums. Lots of good info here and possibilities for unheard material from this period to be released in the future.

One question? Since a two track master was never prepared, wouldnt a mono release be desirable? Yes we are talking about a classic album of live material, but the white label promos of Time Fades Away were in mono.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I suppose you're correct as I have an absolutely pristine "grey area" CD of TIME FADES AWAY that sure doesn't sound like it's sourced from vinyl ... Must be the test pressing I never was aware of.

6. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

7. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

Just checked my vinyl copy, and it is "Thru" on the back cover and label. I don't have the lyric insert/poster though.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My copy has the insert. In the title and the first verse of the song it's "thru," but in the two later verses it's "through."

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am a Democrat and I hate it. Not so much for its message but for the fact that it just plain sucks.

10. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

Apparently (supposedly, allegedly) the use of one of the earliest digital mixers (coupled of course with Young's legendary indecisiveness) is what kept TFA from official CD release. According to Wikipedia (and the always-trustworthy source "citation needed"), using the Quad-8 CompuMix meant that no 2-track master was ever made.

11. DPSysBerry

DPSysBerry Forum Resident

The vinyl was reissued briefly in the UK when NY left Reprise for Geffen Records. I know because my dear wife bought a copy for me because she knew I liked NY and she liked the sound of the title:) It had the multifolded lyric sheet with it, but the sleeve was relatively fragile card, which felt like an economy measure on the part of the record company:) It seemed to disappear from the racks again pretty quickly.

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Same here,
    Everything sounds like it was written during a weekend just so he can issue "Let's Impeach The President". Three good songs and the rest filler.

This is Neil Young's "Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention".

I'm the proud owner of a German press of TFA.
    If there's no 2-track, what do the foreign affiliates get?

13. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

Then there is no HDCD either...

14. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

sorry, don't follow your logic, can you please explain?

Even though there was no eventual commercial release, HDCD CDs of TFA most definitely do exist.

15. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Many of the songs on it were great live.

16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i really think we'll see something at the end of the year. he didn't put out anything last christmas, breaking a seven year stretch (since 2004) of having an album out in time for the holidays...

there has been an archive release, of some sort, every year since 2006 (except 2010, but we had several archive releases the year before. and 2010 gave us "le noise").

i also think that neil's become quite... nostalgic in the last couple of years. he swore he'd never write an autobiography, and yet... "waging heavy peace" is hopefully coming out in october. with all the deaths in his inner circle in the past few years, i think he just wants to get this stuff out there and make peace with it.

then again, he could be waiting for another f**king format change. :mad:

17. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

"using the Quad-8 CompuMix meant that no 2-track master was ever made".
    It must have been made because otherwise it not possible to release a vinyl/cd version of it.

18. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Really?? Thought it (especially the RAW version) was WAY better than things like AYP or Prairie Wind, the one album of his I've only ever played 4-5 times (PW that is).

Also agree that the Archives should contain more unreleased stuff and not the album tracks that are scattered throughout willynilly which is a total waste since this is not targeted at impulse/Greatest Hits shoppers in a local Walmart. At least with Bluray there's the ability to add new stuff for people to download almost ad infinitum.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.