Neil Young - Tonight's The Night Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hdsemaj, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

If you consider tequilla a drug. Neil's goofy in joke humor of the time.

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

The "In' Crowd...

You bean titting the hunny slides again Cassius? :angel:

Your posts are sounding more and more slurry like minds... :winkgrin:

"If you consider tequilla a drug Neil's goofy in joke humor of the time..."

:D

3. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

So...why is this particular record (reissue) so cheap?

4. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

..... more on "Waterface"

After a little research seems the Thrasher site says one possible explaination of the phrase Waterface might be Danny Whitten( rest his soul), who was prone to emotional bursts of sobbing. Make sense I guess.

The liner notes apparently say " Tell Waterface to put it in his lung and not his vein" also.

In'rsting.

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Well said.
    And if you try your vinyl cleaning method quite repeatedly, the noise may come off drastically.

6. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Just finally played my brand new reissue I bought new back in 2006. This record sounds great. I don't have another vinyl copy to compare, but I am curious as to why this sounds so good. With the exception of a few pops in Albuquerque this record has good dynamics and the vinyl is real quiet. What a bargain! :thumbsup:

7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I agree..... I have the CD and the Neil Young Heritage vinyl box to compare and it cost me €8. Easily the best sounding version of this album currently in print.
    I would love to know the source for this.

8. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I have this reissue as well and I was also very impressed with it. It sounds great, deep and dynamic. The album is just killer too.

9. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

What he said :righton:

10. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

I don't understand guys how you can tell the difference. I have the original black label and the orange label reissue.They both have the same textured cover and all the inserts.
    Except,of course,for the different matrices as discussed above.
    I can hear ABSOLUTELY no difference between the two.Mind you,the reissue has no surface noise,very quiet,so I could go as far as to say that I prefer listening to the reissue!
    ARGhh,this forum has made me paranoid!:realmad:

11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I'd be very interested in this reissue. I have an original promo copy in great shape, but it still plays with a near-distracting amount of crackle. The promo copy is a great collectible, but I picked up a German reissue of ZUMA and was blown away -- so maybe I'd have the same luck with this reissue as the others are having.

To those satisfied with the reissue, are these German-pressed copies, or American? Thanks!

12. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

Mine is a US one. I am sure there is also a German out there.

13. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

How many reissues of this album are there? I bought one a couple years ago at Best Buy, but it contained no inserts or anything. Of course, it was so cheap, I'm not complaining.

14. Kel bazar

Kel bazar Member

I just made a needledrop of a 1st pressing and the dynamic is so huge that I have to double the weight of my cartridge to avoid distortion!!!:D

15. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

No problem, I will PM you my address and you can send me the original!

JG

16. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

Here's a pic of the three earliest pressings in the collection, all sound great,with the US promo copy perhaps ahead by a nose.

Attached Files:

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That sure was a good day.

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Hopefully this will be reissued as one of ORS.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The reissue is good and the original is better. I'm doing a comparison right now. I'm no expert either but the original is just so open and dynamic. I picked both up for $4 each and both are worth it and more.

There's a band, Dead Confederate, that is covering this album at a local small venue the Tuesday after Christmas. This is why I pulled out the album. I think I'm going to have to go b/c it's just a $10 show.

20. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I just got finished playing along (drums) with this and my original Zuma. I didn't even know this thread was here...
    Anyway, I think the dealer cost on the re-issues is around 4 bucks and it really does sound fine to these ears.
    I've got my original and will dig it out.
    I remember a quote from Neil that went something like, '..it's not an album you put on and clean the house", or something to that effect.
    I love the ditch triple of TTN, OTB, and Zuma. Some of my favorite Neil.

21. comes_a_time

comes_a_time Forum Resident

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Mine too but one small thing...The Ditch Trilogy is considered to be: Time Fades Away, On The Beach and Tonight's The Night.

I don't think Zuma fits with those other three...Zuma is much more upbeat, in my opinion.

23. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Thanks pool:confused:
    ONe of my many 'duh' moments.
    I knew that. Although, I felt like Ralph Molina tonight and had to play Zuma, too.
    I guess it's 'too dark to put the keys in my ignition...'

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ahh, think nothing of it :) I like Zuma too.

25. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I agree Zuma has a different vibe but there's still some heavy stuff on there. A track like Barstool Blues would certainly not be out of place on Tonight's the Night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.