Neil Young's lead guitar playing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I love Neil's playing. He's my second favourite lead guitarist called Young.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

That thing of his he does that sounds like he's wringing the guitar's neck. That's how I know it's him.

lucan_g likes this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

BUT he can rock?...

Are you kidding? He is rock!

Sigh...

4. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I dig Neil's playing and sound. It's not technical but its technical enough for his music and to echo previous comments he conveys a tremendous amount of emotion in his playing. In my view technique is of use when conveying said emotion otherwise its musical gymnastics. Nothing wrong with musical gymnastics mind you but not usually my cup of tea.

[Edit] Robert Fripp is an example of someone who's technically very gifted and who's playing exudes emotion.

Rick Robson and Greg Gee like this.
  5. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Sorry man.
    But that statement is just ridiculous.

6. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Although I've been a fan for 4+ decades, I was indifferent about Neil's electric playing until, around 10 years or so ago, I paid attention to this. Loved his playing ever since.

7. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

To me he sounded like a beginner (pretty ****ty) as a lead player in terms of technique and execution. He couldn't bend a note in proper pitch if he tried. However his intensity and unique aggressive approach made it his own and that made it special. I have played with countless players who are technically great but bore me - they have no musicality. Once in a while I'll get someone who is technically limited, but is original and musical. That is exactly what Neil was as a soloist to me.

I do have to admit there were times in Buffalo Springfield where I would be thinking "Why isn't Stills playing lead instead of this guy?"

coot and duneman like this.
  8. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

I take it that when referring to ''lead guitar work' it's not just his Electric solos.
    Some of his solos on acoustic are quite beautiful like 'Inca Queen' etc

9. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Yes, sorry I was referring to his electric solos in the early days.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I really admire artists with a singular voice - whether that's their actual voice, their instrument, or their writing. Young has that and has it in all three areas. I don't even have to like the artist to admire true originality, in Young's case it's just gravy that I really like him.

Bossfan and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes sir, rusty is pretty darn good.

groundharp and Hell on Reels like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and when he is with stills he is even better.

RockRoom likes this.
  13. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

IMO mostly a bad electric player, and I wish Crazy Horse were better players. So many good songs IMO sold short.
    I was very much inspired by his ragged playing when I was young (puns intended)....
    Anymore if I hear lengthy improvisation from him, I think it's really terrible, but there are exceptions. (Cortez-he finds subtlety and touch) He's a super talented musician/singer and songwriter, but I gotta be honest.

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

agree 100%

his last really inspired and wonderful guitar work on a "long song' was 'change your mind' on 'sleeps with angels'. all the "long songs' since are just missing something, if i knew what that something was i would tell you, and i'd tell neil young, but i just can't put my finger on it.

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Different people like different things, imagine that.

ARK likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

With a guy as melodically brilliant as he is with his songs, goes to show that he will be able to take a pentatonic or blues scale and make it into magic. Not unorthodox though.....pentatonic scales with a few blue notes here and there...….unmistakably Neil.

Rick Robson likes this.
  17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Nope

setlistthief and ARK like this.
  18. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I love NY's interplay with Stills... amazing

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

what does he know (smirk)

Smokin Chains likes this.
  20. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Great insight

21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

But would a song like Powderfinger actually gain anything from being played by Dream Theatre-level technicians ? It would absolutely suck the primative vivacity right out those songs. A band called Crazy Horse should be unbridled and wild. And, awkward as it can seem, there is a certain animal grace and beauty in simplicity to Young's lead playing. He brings to mind Albert King : distinctive, powerful, primal and immediately recognizable. Both players bypass the standard trappings of what is widely considered to be proficient guitar-playing and go straight for the reptile brain and you just get swept up in the fury of it all... and it takes you somewhere. That's not nuthin'.

D.D.

anth67, Blank Frank, coot and 2 others like this.
  22. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Neil's playing exudes musicality too, but most of all he's a gifted composer - even more than the great lyrics writer that many claim him to be - in my book. I love several of his songs, particularly amazed at his profound sense of melody, and this alone as you said strong enough to overwhelm me with a tremendous amount of emotions.
    And I agree with you about Fripp, but then we're talking about different strokes really.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Yup.

Every Springfield on vinyl bar best-ofs. The Box Set. "Stampede".
    "Neil Young". "Everybody Knows ...". "Déjà Vu". "AtGR". "Harvest".
    "Time Fades Away". "On the Beach". "Re•ac•tor". "Freedom". "Ragged
    Glory". "Harvest Moon". "Sleeps ...". "Silver+Gold".

Love most of 'em.

But no solo gets me on the floor as "Mr Soul" and "Bluebird". There's a
    reason why those guys are so missed. Wasted opportunities. Our loss.

24. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I've seen similar conversations regarding Springsteen as a guitarist. Being a hack guitar player my three faves are Edward Van Halen, Richard Thompson & Stevie Ray Vaughan. None of them would sound right on a Neil Young song. Like Springsteen, Neil plays with a fire, passion & raw emotion. To me a good guitar player is someone whose playing fits the song. Neil Young does that and more.

Bossfan, keyse1 and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I wouldn't go that far. He ditched his old style largely
    with "Everyone ..." and said as much. He thought the
    old way sounded too produced. It was calculated.

Compare with Robbie Robertson, who vastly changed
    his style transitioning from The Hawks to Dylan to
    The Band. It was a calculated decision.

Neil may not sound "proficient" because he doesn't
    like that sound. But that's just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.