Neil Young's lead guitar playing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

Neil Young contracted polio at the age of six. It primarily affected the left side of his body. He has attributed his unique approach to guitar to this event. It would help explain his so called lack of technical prowess.

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I had no idea.

I love Neil's guitar playing. Always have.

3. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yeah, I think it plays a big part. He’s mentioned (written?) how there are times when his left and right sides are kind of at odds with each other? That it gives him a unique perspective by performing with an idiosyncratic physical tick, as it were.

I’ve always thought some of his staccato, whammy bar shakey solos were informed by his epileptic seizures, something he used to have to deal with around the time of Buffalo Springfield. I think he’s got that firmly under control these days.

Neil is about as unique a rock star legend as they come.

Stone Turntable and ghoulsurgery like this.
  4. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

His guitar playing, I think, is at its best when the song has a great melody. His solos decorate, elaborate, and extend the melody, like a great sauce on a perfectly cooked meal. But when there’s a lesser melody, like “Love to Burn” and “Love and Only Love” from Ragged Glory, the solos have no foundation - it’s all sauce, and I get lost and bored pretty quickly. (And now I’m hungry.)

5. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Neil's guitar playing is very Jekyll and Hyde, his acoustic stuff can be very sweet and peaceful and his electric is pretty aggressive and full of tension that he often doesn't resolve or release, kinda like rust I guess.

coot, Gray Beard and CDFanatic like this.
  6. Paul Gase

I pretty much agree with this though I’ll point out that the LAOL solo on Weld is “to the moon and back” fantastic.

But yes, my favorite NY solos are usually not the minor pentatonic blues scales. He excels in the major and Mixolydian, where the pretty melodies sometimes get bent into angry notes and vice versa. His best solos have that yin and yang. Beauty and anger.

7. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Fantastic acoustic playing, his little fills between chord changes are great and he makes it seem effortless. On electric he is simply amazing in both feel and delivery. Never understood any disdain for his lead work, he really says a lot through his choice of notes and tone, and find complexity in his simplicity.

8. Paul Gase

I don’t if it’s been mentioned here but anyone wanting to hear Neil just as he started getting into his more effects laden sound, Neil Mach II as it were, should check out the Crazy Moon album by Crazy Horse. He goes pretty crazy on some of those tracks, like Zuma with echo, reverb, you name it. Good album too from 1978.

ExHead, coot and peskypesky like this.
  9. sami

sami Mono still rules

So cool how this one opens with a solo. Like the best Neil solos, the ones here have that ability to capture the feeling of the lyric. Best example of that has to be "Powderfinger".

coot and peskypesky like this.
  10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Big fan of Neil's guitar playing. Especially the studio version of Cortez. How does he make bum notes sound so right?

11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I didn't know about the polio. Damn shame. He's no virtuoso, but his notes bleed and that's more than enough for me.

coot, peskypesky and Quakerism like this.
  12. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

Read in a NY album review: "Bucket full of eels lead guitar"

Crank this one up, close your eyes, and experience the teradactyl's attack. No matter what, this is just badass lead guitar.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You may be having fun at my expense, but it’s really only to cover the fact that you have no idea what you’re talking about. Seriously. To think that the clear majority of Neil’s popular work are ballads is nonsense. Your thread title and post contends that we should all be impressed with Neil Young as a guitar player begs this question: Where have you been for the past 50 years?

Embarrassing, to say the least.

Liam Brown likes this.
  14. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

There were times in the late 1960s where his guitar was like Miles Davis's trumpet......doing a lot with a little.....timing and space and emotion.
    Cowgirl in the Sand and Down By the River never let me down.

tug_of_war, coot and peskypesky like this.
  15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

“Cinnamon Girl” too. That “D” gets picked up, down and sideways

coot and peskypesky like this.
  16. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I've only seen them twice. The first show, in Manhattan at a theater was good but not the transcendent experience I'd hoped for.

Then I saw them at Barclay's Center in Brooklyn and their jams sounded like a new universe was being born.

Paul Gase and coot like this.
  17. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

Well, now I know where Jack Black got most of his goofy moves from in a School of Rock. Lol.

coot likes this.
  18. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dear clueless, thread crapping is trolling. This thread was doing fine until you snarked in...Move on to a topic you might know something about . If your trolling puts an to this benign topic it's on you...giddyup :waiting:

19. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Neil Young's lead guitar take you through a visceral journey that's hard to explain .:shrug: He understands what it takes in his songs to move the emotional meter to crescendo.:-popcorn:

laf848, polchik and tug_of_war like this.
  20. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

"I have melodies, and I have a sense of rhythm and drive. But it’s not about me, anyway—it’s about the whole band. It’s about everybody being there at once. When I play I’m listening for everything, trying to drive it all with my guitar. My guitar is the whole f*cking band." Guitar World interview, 2009 Neil Young: Gold Rush

Anyone who can say THAT about his guitar playing is my favorite.

tug_of_war likes this.
  21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

True. They sound so right that I didn't even know there were bum notes on it.

22. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Took a long walk on the beach today and listened to this one. It was perfect.

polchik and Kingsley Fats like this.
  23. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Listening to the new Way Down In The Rust Bucket release right now and in awe of Neil's 1990 playing. I know nothing of technical virtuosity, but every note he plays is right. I never mistake his playing for someone else, and I love this Ragged Glory period.

ronton99, laf848, savemenow and 2 others like this.
  24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

amen.

i just cranked "love and only love" .... from rust bucket

a real journey. magnificent soloing!

25. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Before I split hairs, gotta say I enjoyed your wording
    I like his playing on Powderfinger just fine, including the solo. BTW I'm not the least bit of a Dream Theatre fan. I don't buy the Albert King comparison out side the fact that both capture emotion. King differs in that he played defined licks when he solo'd as an improviser. King could for sure have off nights.. I usually don't like Neil when he improvises, though sometime he does some good stuff. His more structured and thought out stuff is his best. Powderfinger is a somewhat structured solo, you can tell he spent a little time with it and knew what worked. In CSNY I vastly prefer Stills playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.