Neil Young—Way Down in the Rust Bucket

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ExHead, Jan 13, 2021.

1. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I really wanna get that DVD version but it sounds terrible on youtube, compared to the CD mix also on youtube. It's like it's an alternate mix. Also there's no information on the sound quality of the DVD, I want PCM, nothing lossy.

Jake362 likes this.
  2. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Historically speaking, Neil doesn’t put out DVD’s with lossy audio.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  3. kdawg

kdawg Senior Member

once again, this validates my decision to sign up for NYA almost two years ago

I love getting early access

Ragged Glory has always been my favorite Neil album, so to hear this just fills me with joy

4. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Cowgirl In The Sand is 54 minutes into Rust Bucket for those looking to hear the edits at the one hour mark.

5. Spinning wheels, won't start for me.

6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

The video seems a bit compressed in the hearse theatre, hopefully the DVD is encoded better. It does have that ragged VHS feel to it, which has its charm. Can't comment on the audio, as I've only heard it on my earbuds and not my living room set, so difficult to compare.

The DVD is a whopping 30 minutes longer than the CD set, so some significant editing in the between song banter, like on RTG. Pity, as this adds a lot of charm, but that would've made it a 3 disc set (don't see that as an issue). So the DVD is a must have if you want the full experience.

No regrets in buying this so far. Billy sure seems to be having fun :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

are they better than the ones from the previews last year?

8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

if "over and over" from this album doesn't make you smile, then i don't know what to do for you.

this is a perfect album. it's essential neil young.

9. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Listening now on NYA. It’s funny listening to Neil sing ‘Days that used to be’ a look back at his old days....that’s now over thirty years old.:)

chickendinna likes this.
  10. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

A killer version of Cowgirl but the difference in sound quality would have been too jarring.

The video on NYA has the under construction sign during the dropouts. It could be that the version in the Hearse Theatre still has the preliminary mix. It does sound a little muddy to me.

ET3311 likes this.
  11. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Damn.... Somebody please talk me out of buying this. Another $50 hit to the budget. Why DVD and not Blu-Ray?? - is it due to the recording equipment of the day? Also "Cowgirl In The Sand" is not listed anywhere on the track listings I found??

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Neil said the quality of the recording doesn’t justify Blu Ray.

I’m up to Danger Bird and this without a doubt is the best Crazy Horse live release. Greedy Hand UK have just shipped my vinyl box, maybe I’ll get lucky and get it tomorrow (only criticism is that it was shipped Tracked but don’t provide a tracking number)

ARK, WJA, qtrules and 1 other person like this.
  13. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Ahh ok. Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the deluxe box 4LP 2CD & DVD. I'm finding nothing but rave reviews and figured if the budget's gonna take a hit, it might as well be big.

14. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

Has anyone had orders ship from the Canadian store?

15. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I neeed to buy this!!!

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I had a Deluxe Box Set pre-order at amazon that was put in pretty early on, kept track of shipping date and it didn't budge from March 3rd to sometime in April. Fed up with this situation I cancelled the order.
    This was yesterday and proceeded to order the same box set @ PopMarket, this morning I get a shipped notice from them, now that's the kind of service I'm looking for. :D

ARK, scotti, imthetxman and 1 other person like this.
  17. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

Will a standalone Hi Res version be available outside Greedy hand? I want to get mine sooner than a week. I may just get it from Amazon.

18. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

No kidding. I just finished Over and Over. It’s perfect!

qtrules likes this.
  19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yes it will be available on Friday. Should be available on all Hi Res stores

Adam Schellin likes this.
  20. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

I’ve had so much trouble with Amazon and vinyl that I simply gave up. Wrong product shipped, warped vinyl.. you name it.

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i have listened to some of the songs on NYA and it sounds like many of them have fades between songs, which is disappointing. they edited out the "way down in the rust bucket" comment to be before like a hurricane now instead of cowgirl. so be aware if you're frankensteining any DVD+CD playlists.

ET3311 and scotti like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got confirmation that I can pick up my deluxe vinyl set tomorrow at my local store. Going to take a break from Jazz (I can't believe I just said that) and make my house shake this weekend! This is the type of release I have been waiting for Neil to put out for quite some time. The wife is even more excited than I am.

edit - I'm getting the 4 LP/2 CD/DVD set from my local store for $89.99 opposed to Amazon who has it at $99.99. If I can support the Indie/Local store, an easy choice every time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    JeffMo, Glenn coates, Schmeig and 3 others like this.
  23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I noticed this too. I don’t really have a problem with it as my oft played tape of this performance used to annoy me with extended TBS (time between songs). Maybe they tried some crossfades and they simply didn’t work?

I have a Television album Live At the Old Waldorf. I think it’s a boot but I didn’t know that. I thought it was a RSD release made to look like one. Anyhow, all crowd noise is cut out ad actually I love the effect.

Also, Rust Never Sleeps side 2 (and part of side 1) does the same thing, so he’s done it before.

Aside: the version of Sedan Delivery on Rust Bucket is really great, but I think Ralph plays a different tempo for every section of the song!

Billy_Sunday and Biscuit1970 like this.
  24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I hear you, as a Prime paying member, this is BS.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The same thing happened to me with Amazon. The delivery date was March 3rd to sometime in April. So I decided to cancel my order, but here is the thing - I placed another order immediately with Amazon and it immediately said the delivery date is 2/26/21. Very strange - I order the day it was posted on Amazon and the delivery date is way off from the release date, but my new order placed a week ago has a delivery date for the deluxe box on 2/26. Go figure.

imthetxman likes this.