Neil Young—Way Down in the Rust Bucket

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ExHead, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Greed.Contempt for the fans.Cashing out in the last gasp of physical music too stupid to realise they are alienating the people who might continue to buy it.
    Compare how Greedy Hand are structuring and pricing these releases with the Stones Vault series.
    They realise through letters published in the Contrarian that fans don’t like this.They don’t care.

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

So f-ing lame of Neil to only make the video available in the deluxe box set.

Really losing respect for this guy in his old age.

3. peskypesky

agreed.

I don't even own a turntable. The music should be available in various formats (FLAC, cd, vinyl), and the video should be available separately. This is just greed on Neil's part.

4. peskypesky

only if you buy it in a deluxe set with vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes and cd's.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. peskypesky

that's 3 and a half times the price for the cd set.

6. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I like having it on CD, vinyl, & Blu-ray. I have use for all three and my cupboards are very large.
    Good thing I don't have to buy them all seperately.

I think I'll write Neil another letter expressing my satisfaction of the decision to bundle them together.

7. peskypesky

8. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Just buy the CDs or flacs. The video will turn up "somewhere" pretty soon. I don't have the space for those f*ing boxsets and I'm not willing to pay exorbitant prices just to flood my living or music room with them.

vegafleet, Woodville and peskypesky like this.
  9. peskypesky

Agreed.

Woodville and JoeRockhead like this.
  10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I think I'll pass on this one - at least the vinyl set - too many other things to spend $70 on. I have the boot from back in the day which I'll review and then might consider the CD version.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  11. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I think that a CD/DVD combo should be sustainable also on the marketing side, maybe at an higher price. My idea is that releasing vinyl especially of several records is very expensive in a volume of small sale numbers,notwithstanding the strong resurgence and the return to the vinyl. Forcing the CD and DVD buyers to buy the Vinyl Deluxe Editions means to maximize the profits and minimize the costs. Anyway a very unfair and dishonest marketing, independently if you are into vinyl or not.

12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I LOVE old Neil.....he makes it very easy these days to give his releases a wide berth.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so? still a pretty good price for 4 slabs of vinyl. but hey, i spent the extra 30 bucks for the deluxe set, so i'll get the cds and the dvd too!

14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Phew, I am amazed what a brave man you are
    And so rich....
    Maybe I will be there as well one day when I really try and work my bones off.

ET3311 likes this.
  15. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Where is this actually for sale? Not seeing anything on Amazon. I don’t agree with lumping the three formats together, but I’ll just sell the vinyl (like I did with Return to Greendale).

peskypesky and ET3311 like this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm not a hero, just a regular guy trying to make the world a better place. ok, maybe i AM a hero.

ARK and ET3311 like this.
  17. fried

fried Forum Resident

I thought £35 was about the going rate for a double vinyl, you can still find Tuscaloosa, Live Rust at less than this. I like to give the Old Man a hand sometimes, but I'll be streaming this as usual.

peskypesky likes this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

This is 4lp

19. fried

fried Forum Resident

Ah, That sounds a bit more reasonable then. The track list didn't look long enough.

20. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I'll gladly pay extra for a CD/DVD (or Blu-ray) version, but as I don't do LP, like Return to Greendale, I'll have to miss out on the video. Maybe it'll show up in the Hearse Theater like RTG.

No presale in the Greedy Hand Store yet. Still hoping for CD/DVD or standalone DVD. It's not easy being a Neil Young fan.

Still, an awesome release.

BTW, wasn't the audience recording a 3Cd set?

21. ivor

ivor Senior Member

The video for Return to Greendale is available for purchase on iTunes. Hopefully Rust Bucket will be available there too. Not as nice as a stand-alone blu-ray, but it may be an option for some people.

peskypesky and Bobbooey67 like this.
  22. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Presale up at the Greedy Hand!

23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Fwiw, the Return To Greendale movie is available for free on the Amazon video platform for Amazon Prime members.

24. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

US only for now...

25. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Me too. I don't mind paying 10 dollar or euro extra for the CD/DVD set.

ET3311 likes this.