Netflix "Secret City"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this series? I've seen three episodes and find it very engrossing. It's set in Australia and involves a murder and subsequent government coverup/corruption.

2. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I watched the first couple of episodes because I'm a fan of Anna Torv but it completely lost me with the transgender ex husband character.

3. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Wife and I discovered it recently. We enjoy it very much and have started the second season. We've liked Anna Torv since Fringe and she's very good in Mindhunter as well. Canberra looks like a nice town, if a bit sterile. Show is based on a trio of political thrillers, the first being "The Marmalade Game."

Kind of like House of Cards Ozzie style. The opening montage is very similar to HoC. It's dense and one needs to pay attention. About halfway through the 1st season the threads really begin to come together. Solid 8/10.

4. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I watched the first two seasons recently and enjoyed it well enough despite the somewhat over-the-top conspiracy theory elements. A previous commenter mentioned the "transgender ex husband" - only after finishing the first season did I realize that he/she was played by the same actor (Damon Herriman) who played Dewey Crowe, my favorite character in Justified. I didn't recognize him at all!

5. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Nice series.

6. I watched the first season when it originally screened here a few years ago but I didn't know they'd done a second. I'll have to see if I can track down a copy because I really didn't like the way season one ended. Overall, though, the first season was quite good. A nice, heavy but not too heavy political thriller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.