Netflix: The Irishman - Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci & Harvey Keitel.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2017.

1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah but marty also directed wolf of wall street which was much more youthful, energetic....I think the pace fit the story for the most part

another one word acceptance speech? :laugh:

id comment but that link froze my laptop.....

2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Tom Campbell, ampmods and twicks like this.
  3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I don't know about Hoffa being good. He played with fire. He knew who he was dealing with. More egotistical and pig headed.

4. But he was 70/71 when he directed Wolf. :tiphat:

BZync likes this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

And it was terrible.

6. Many people loved Wolf. I enjoyed it but didn’t love it. It was sort of cartoon like imho.

trumpet sounds and Vidiot like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah I liked it, some great scenes but overall not one of his best, (I wish he had picked a different muse at this stage, never really pushed in my chips with leo!)

ampmods likes this.
  8. I didn't like any of the Marty/Leo collaborations except for some of the New York movie with Daniel Day Lewis. But both Leo and Cameron Diaz were lightweights in that next to him.

I've liked Leo more since he left the Scorsese fold.

the pope ondine likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I liked DiCaprio in 'Shutter Island' and 'The Departed'(although do not understand why they had Whitey Bulger killed off in that Movie Version on his Life, when he was still alive until eventually caught by the FBI through a Tip that he and his wife were living in an apartment in Santa Monica. That is one reason, I thought 'Black Mass' was a Better Movie about Bulger, although I liked both Movies).

ampmods likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So how did Robert De Niro "act" like he was a 6'4" tall mob hit man?

[​IMG]

Herman Munster shoes. Ah, the magic of Hollywoo...

I looked very closely at De Niro's feet in wide shots, and it was amazing how they digitally removed the lifts.

ampmods, dead of night and Ghostworld like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

sorry, I meant to the (then young) girl. You're right of course

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Eh. He was okay, I thought. I sorta kept thinking Talia Shire GFIII.

twicks likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Pyschopaths: We get s**t done!

I’m joking.

BZync and EddieMann like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

n 1976, Rupert Murdoch bought the Post for US$30.5 million. Since 1993, the Post has been owned by News Corporation and its successor, News Corp, which had owned it previously from 1976 to 1988. Its editorial offices are located at 1211 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue).

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

De Niro & Pacino are up to do a HEAT prequel, yep and deaging is involved.

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Does not matter what you think, as my comment was based on that I think Pesci will be a top favorite if not top 2 that I would bet on him winning. Does not even matter what I think of his performance(although I thought he was excellent), as I am basing my bet by who I think most of the Academy Voters will select(assuming Pesci is nominated of course, but it would surprise me if he was not nominated). Now, if Pacino also gets nominated for Supporting Actor, there is the potential that splits votes with Pesci being in the same Movie, that will allow another Nominated Supporting Actor to win the Academy Award. Kind of like a College Football Team having 2 Great Players who could win the Heisman Trophy and they split the Vote, which allows another Plater to win it, who normally would not be the Favorite.

You are entitled to your opinion, but since you do not have a Vote(I am assuming you are not an Academy Voting Member), I am just going to stay with Pesci as my pick to win Best Supporting Actor. The Voters are typically older overall and seem to like to give an edge to Nominees, who might have made their Final Movie, and thought I read in this Thread that Pesci came out of retirement to do this role for Scorsese.

We will see, but I rarely watch Award Shows, as it is subjective, who gets Nominated to begin with, and who ends up being selected as the Winner. If there is a person I like hosting the Academy Awards like Chris Rock and Seth McFarlane in the past, I at least check out the Opening Monologue. Or for Music Award Shows, check out a few Live Performances.

palisantrancho likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I gave up watching the oscars a couple years ago. Bored of the “voting by conscious” picks.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’ll shoot myself if they try that. Two and a half hours of glowing faces. It’ll be like watching “Chernobyl “ again.

ampmods, twicks and alexpop like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Disco!

22. alexpop

What are they thinking.
    Cash grab.

If SFX guys can do the same deaging as RDJ/ Iron Man.. maybe. It’s a prequel so the characters don’t interchange dialogue.
    Don’t see the point. Probably be a cafe scene with Pacino sipping a cappuccino at one end of the place and De Niro they other end with his crew. Pacino will be 80 how’s he going to move like a forty year old?

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. alexpop

Pacino wasn’t really interested at first “ Bob won’t be in it. De Niro “ it’s a prequel “

Both up for it.

It is what it is. :)

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They’re going to have to “de-pound” Val Kilmer.

25. alexpop

Ironically I’m more interested in Michael Mann’s Heat prequel than paint houses.

All the publicity interviews for The Irishman that De Niro and Pacino are doing. Al is always so complimentary about Robert, reminiscing when they first met.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019