New BBC LS 3/5a speaker from Music Fidelity

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofferabild, May 20, 2023.

1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks interesting
    Musical Fidelity jumps aboard the LS3/5a train | Darko.Audio

Musical Fidelity how joins that list of new production LS3/5a manufacturers with a version that has been built to “BBC R&D design 1976/29”. The upshot is a nominal impedance of 15 Ohms and a 82.5dB/W/M sensitivity rating.

The full specifications list is as follows:

• Type: Two-way, closed
    • Frequency response: 80Hz-20KHz +/-3dB
    • Nominal Impedance: 15 Ohms
    • Sensitivity: 82.5dB/W/M
    • Woofer: 110mm cone
    • Tweeter: 19mm dome
    • Recommended amplifier: 20-150W
    • Cabinet: 12mm birch plywood
    • Finish: Palisander veneer
    • Dimensions: 305 x 190 x 165mm (HxWxD)
    • Weight: 4.9Kg (each speaker)”

layman likes this.
  2. I saw that. I’ve actually been keeping track of the LS3/5a reissues (ie, those released after the original production run). They include:

Falcon

Stirling Broadcast

Richard Allen

Graham Audio

Audio Space

Rogers

Musical Fidelity

Audio Space is the only non-UK manufacturer that has produced a BBC-licensed reissue.

3. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Dim question. Surely if they are all built to the same specification, don't they all sound the same? :hide:

IRG, timind and Kristofferabild like this.
  4. Kristofferabild

Another dim question, do these sound somewhat like Harbeth P3 that are also based on BBC LS 3/5a?

bhazen likes this.
  5. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

When I saw the announcement for this MF offering, in my mind just popped an enormous WHY?!!
    What could the offer more / better (at the sane price) than the Graham, Sterling, Kef, Falcon and Rogers?
    It is going to sell in numbers that justify the production investment?
    Why not create a new design based on the LS3/5a?
    For me this kind of revivalism, in the place of invention and creativity, is just nonsense... just my opinion.

6. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

I've never heard them and I guess I just don't get it because of that, but its 16 ohm, infinite baffle, not very deep size wise, only gets down to 80 hz is very expensive (£2500) and has inset drivers with sticky out cabinet edges.
    So is the last 40 years of speaker development nonsense do bass reflex, 8ohm, deep cabinets matter.
    Every modern speaker has deep cabinets it must be for a reason.
    There must be a market for it I guess.

7. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

They don’t sound the same. Example … the Rogers Classic has a bit more sparkle than the Harbeth. As much as I love Harbeth speakers, I prefer Rogers and Graham Audio’s LS 3/5a.

TarnishedEars, layman, ls35a and 3 others like this.
  8. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

7 UK manufacturers are now producing it. That's extraordinary in audio terms. And I struggle to think of a similar situation in another field.

Perhaps have a listen?

dunkyboy and chris geary like this.
  9. Kristofferabild

Well found this

dunkyboy and Ivand like this.
  10. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

Yes, that’s correct.

11. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Nice video review! Thanks for posting it.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  12. Yes, vintage units should sound the same regardless of manufacturer, although different generations used different crossovers and consequently sound slightly different. There were also differences over time in cabinet construction.

As for the modern recreations, because they all have to use substitute drivers as the original KEF drivers are out of production, they could indeed sound different.

13. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Our demonstration was done with Musical Fidelity's new BBC-inspired LS3/5A design. This speaker's nominal impedance of 15 ohms means that it doesn't require much current, and that suits the new A1 perfectly.
    How does the new A1 sound? It is hard to make any firm judgement in a show environment, but the first impressions are certainly positive. I hear a bold and full-bodied sound; one that's richer, smoother and more easy-going than is typically the fashion today. The demo room was massive and packed with people, so it isn't fair to talk about dynamics, detail levels or rhythmic drive. Even so, the listening experience leaves me wanting to hear more and eager to try the little amplifier in the more familiar surroundings of our listening room (we have a review sample coming soon).
    At a suggested retail price of €1599, and a likely UK price below £1500, the new Musical Fidelity A1 is certainly a tempting proposition.
    [​IMG]

Bea Jonas, MC Rag, layman and 2 others like this.
  14. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I can’t decide between this for $2500 or a Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 with a sock stuffed in its port for $25o.

15. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

Just make sure to use argyle’s.

16. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

MF are also now producing their version of the LS5/9.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not always. Close sometimes, not the same as original vintage BBC licensed examples. Many of the original drivers aren't available now from KEF, or EMI.

18. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Doesn't seem to be made in the UK though? At least no mention of it at the backside.

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Certainly they sound far more similar than different.

Fortunately, sans attaching them
    to a headband and using them as cans, there are more modern speakers that outperform any LS3/5a for less coin.

The LS3/5a models have better midrange and treble than any similarly sized BT speaker, so if portability is a goal (as was the primary goal
    for the BBC), that could be another application. I can see them being a great solution for those living in a 10’X12’ cabin in the Montana woods.

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

What drivers are they using?

Who designed the crossover?

Did they bother to get a license from the beeb?

21. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Will the new A1 still blow up when you touch the input selector?

patrickd, 33na3rd, rcspkramp and 2 others like this.
  22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

New design based on the LS3/5a. You mean like the Falcon M10 or Q7?

23. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Yes, there is two exemples. They address the same buyer/ consumer/ audiophile but are a step head in design.
    I believe that MF (now part of the Pro-ject Group) has the resources to do a new and innovative design, and that is the biggest part of my perplexity.

24. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'm wondering if they found this from some Chinese company and said, 'hey, let's slap our name on that and import it'.

I'll tell you this... 'LS3/5a' manufacturers who won't tell you who makes their drivers... I can't take seriously.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Oddiofyl, KT88, Naka9 and 1 other person like this.
  25. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Well, you've got to admit that if you're adding a new speaker to your product lineup, it's a lot easier and cheeper to add a speaker that has already been designed! :)

33na3rd and Ingenieur like this.