New Beth Orton album WEATHER ALIVE to be released on 09/23/2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 31, 2022.

1. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Maybe people saw this earlier in the week but Jon Pareles named it one of his top 10 albums of the year in the New York Times

3. Beth Orton, ‘Weather Alive’
    Over ghostly, circling piano motifs, the songs on “Weather Alive” meditate on longing and memory, connection and solitude, nature and time. Beth Orton’s voice stays unguarded in both its delicacy and its flaws, while her production cradles it in patiently undulating arrangements, floating acoustic instruments in electronic spaces; the songs linger until they become hypnotic.

frightwigwam and Xander2017 like this.
  2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Holy crap, this record just threw me for a loop. I don't think I've knowingly heard a record of hers since Central Reservation, but I'm certainly glad I checked in now. This is gorgeous.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It certainly is. Has real staying power too, been playing it since it was released and still feel like there's more for me to hear in it. Truly great album.

5. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Nice!

There seems to have been at least two different prints available. Yours has an image which is not a replica of the album sleeve and with Beth in a slightly different pose.

Another print is a replica of the album cover artwork:

[​IMG]

I wonder if there was a special print for the clear vinyl edition?

6. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Also, it seems there was another signing session for prints which were included with sales of CDs in one or two independent record stores after the initial vinyl offer had sold out.

A less engaged signature, perhaps, but definitely genuine:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I recently got this album and can agree, it is very good and the vinyl is enjoyable. She does seem to be channeling her inner John Martyn on this album.

9. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Playing it again tonight. What a fantastic album. :)

10. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Saw the lovely Ms. Orton last night here in Brussels. A superb gig, playing all of Weather Alive, and backed by a very sympathetic band indeed. Her between-song banter did irk slightly (as it did the last time I saw her), but she was on great form and it was a very memorable evening indeed. Interestingly, her voice seemed to warm up noticeably after about 40 minutes. It makes me wonder if she does any real vocal exercises before singing.