New Bond Theme Song 'No Time To Die' by Billie Eilish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YMC4, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

Very lightly Bondish. Never really takes off, vocals quavery and too loud perhaps because there isn't much music to listen to. Should have gone for Lana del rey and a bigger sound.

Tommy Jay and Record Rotator like this.
  2. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Mediocre.

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Like it. Hate the Bond ending and wish the chorus made one more strong return.

phillyal1 and homeslice like this.
  4. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

would have liked her to nail it, nt sure that happened. Lot of pressure for an 18 year old (and Finneas)

5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Boring as hell. What a disappointment. Was expecting much more from Billie. It doesn't even touch the realm of the classics.

6. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

The A-ha one together with "A View to A Kill" and Chris Cornell's "You Know my Name" are among my favourites, and imo some of the best ones.
    Still hear and play's A-ha's theme regularly.
    And I was hoping, after the latest few ballads we had, we would have gotten another great rock theme like "You Know my Name".
    The one by Madonna and "Writing's on the Wall" were unremarkable.

I like "No Time to Die" * better than "Writing on the Wall".
    Not that fond of Sam Smith's vocals, and his peformance of the song.
    While I think that Billie Eilish does sing beatifully.
    A good and beautiful song, but not outstanding.
    Not all the Bond theme songs need to be bombastic.
    It didn't need to be another "Skyfall" or "Goldfinger" with Billie Eilish belting her heart out.
    But the song is missing something.
    Beatiful but slow and not reaching a real high.

In the middle of the Daniel Craig era Bond themes for me.
    With my preference for "You Know my Name" and "Skyfall".

* Another edit, got "No time To Die" confussed with "Die another day".

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It's ok ... sorry, but I just don't get the Billie Eilish fever

RSteven, Dark Horse 77 and Daven23 like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s faintly Bond-ish. Like a Bond B-side.:D Would it have hurt them to stick a bit of melody in it?

Don’t get the love for Billie Eilish. Her mumble/warble style of singing is tuneless and unpleasant to me. She makes Lana Del Rey sound like Julie Andrews. As slight and uneventful as No Time To Die is, it would have sounded better with a decent vocal on top.

9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Only heard it once so far and not under ideal listening conditions but I don't think this hits the target.

No dynamics, dreary and like others have said the vocals are too upfront. MI don't really like the style of singing. Sorry, not for me. There have been some really classy, dynamic themes over the years. It can still be done if you stop pandering to current tastes. Go with what is best for the film.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  10. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

A meh song for what looks like a meh Bond movie.

11. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Guess you didn’t get the memo. Copy attached below:

Memorandum
    Office of the Trend Inspector General

November 31, 2014

Subject: “Meh”

Please be informed that, effective immediately, “Meh” has been retired as a term old farts are permitted to use to try to sound as though they are still hip.

Baidur, ARK, tug_of_war and 6 others like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

A great song and a great Bond-theme.
    Have to watch the movie to really get the experience

tug_of_war and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Live and Let Die. It’s got it all. Nuff said...

BellaLuna and tug_of_war like this.
  14. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I don't have anything against Billie Eilish but the vocal has that kind of awkward phrasing of someone singing in English who doesn't speak English . I know that's not the case here but it has that feel, which is just bizarre.

joemarine and Daven23 like this.
  15. :tiphat:
    “A slap in the face “

hysterical

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Yeah those Roger Moore yuck fests were hysterical.

rubberhead, FJFP, Mickey2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

..... a Duran put down? :buttkick:

"A View To A Kill" is at least as good as the movie! :evil:

18. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I am a big fan of Bond films, although I realize some say that and pretty much only watch From Russia With Love, OHMSS and the Craig films. I love pretty much every era, the traditions/formula, Roger Moore's films being easy comfort food, especially the kitschy Moonraker. That said, the directions this series has gone as of late has derailed those traditions more than ever, to that point that practical spoofs like Kingsman and the latter M:I films have been able to steal thunder and often seem more like Bond films than Bond. Skyfall's success was unfortunate in hindsight, and so was the signing of Mendes for Spectre, ensuring continuing down this navel gazing line rather than what used to happen: make a fun/cheesy Bond, then make a more serious Bond, repeat. But at least Skyfall had a song you could picture Shirley Bassey singing. Sam Smith's hardly had a Bond feel (like Madonna's) and is easily in the bottom half of the songs, but unfortunately, won an Oscar???!!! That ensured continuing down the line of somber themes, even further removing the big chorus that Skyfall had. So yeah, a further slap to the face, likely provided by Barbara who never learned from her dad how to teeter totter.

But if I made you laugh, cool. Laughter is rare in the Craig era.

"No ma'am, I am with the economy tour."

19. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident

You are right.

It's the silly notion that dark = art. That applies to not just music, but the film world, too. Oh, Joaquin Phoenix is dark ---- give him the Oscar! Best day the world ever saw was when Kevin Kline won best actor for playing that hilariously absurd character in A FISH CALLED WANDA. But, those days are gone. Batman has to be the "dark knight." Bond themes have to be something even Joy Division would think is too somber.

20. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Johnny plays the single note lines starting at "I've fallen for a lie...". I agree that they could've placed his guitar a fair bit higher in the mix. Same goes for Zimmer's orchestral arrangement. A remix would be nice. If I can eventually grab the stems I'll probably do just that.

ebro, RSteven and georgespigott like this.
  21. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

No doubt she and her team were working to a very strict brief.... I like her, she has bags of talent and is only 18.
    Craig is the most overrated Bond in my opinion, think Michael Kiwanuka will do a decent theme hopefully something a bit more upbeat hopefully the film will be decent too.

22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

The supposedly big chorus of Skyfall was the biggest letdown in Bond theme history for me. At least the bad Bond themes were just bad so no expectation there. Skyfall could've been so good, but the chorus came and went with a whimper, simply because despite it's "bigness" it doesn't really musically shift in any way from what precedes it.

23. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Her style is interesting, though I have my doubts about its staying power. It's pretty one-dimensional, though admittedly I haven't heard much else that she's done. I searched a few things on YouTube after she cleaned up her Grammy's.

As for the 007 song, yes, it is dark and moody, which is ok. But I was waiting for it to build and burst into some kind of a breakout moment. But it never does... well, ok, it sort of does build in the orchestration. But not so much vocally. The whimpering whispering just gets a little louder.

Maybe it will translate better to a movie audience with silhouettes of naked women holding revolvers dancing and writhing behind the opening credits.

joemarine, RSteven and phillyal1 like this.
  24. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

We live in dark times.

DreamIsOver, Mazzy and phillyal1 like this.
  25. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Have just given this a proper listen on headphones and sadly my first impression appears to be pretty on the money. The voice really isn't good enough for this kind of close-up inspection. I'm not a great fan of this kind of affected vocal but here I think it isn't right. Also I don't know if it is the streaming that is at fault but the instrumentation seems very muddy. A James Bond theme should be strident instrumentally and assured vocally but this does not really hit the mark. It is odd but prior to listening to this I had been listening to Dies Irae by Devil Doll and in some ways the feel is similar. The Devil Doll recording knocks this for six, however. It is cinematic and has everything that the new James Bond theme lacks. Not sure that anyone would put James Bond and the enigmatic Mister Doctor together in a million years but they could do a lot worse!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.