New Bryan Adams album 'Shine a Light'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What have we done to deserve this?

Purple likes this.
  2. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Bought it, only because amazon were offering it signed for £10.99. The first record of his I’ve bought since Waking up the Neighbours. It’s signed, numbered and sealed. Doubt I will open it, will listen to it on Spotify instead - 1 listen may very well be enough if the last 28 years are anything to go by....

Amazing really to go from that run from Cuts like a Knife to Into the Fire and end up here...

Pouchkine likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Haven’t listened to it yet. The single is OK.

4. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

6. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

How right you are. Remember when Cut like a knife hit U.K. Wow Wow! AOR meets heavy rock and yep Reckless and Into the Fire were absolutely brilliant albums and it went all down hill after that for me. Not played his stuff for many years till tonight as bought his hits CD So good so far very very cheap in local Supermarket. Sold his Rock soul and made money from a much more poppy/sweet and sugar love dove approach. His call and in financial terms still selling out Arena venues over here in UK. Not sure he’s bothered one bit that l think most of his new stuff sucks but am still willing to pay out for his old stuff in Remastered form or quality plastic when it comes up. Me thinks win win for him!

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

I'm a big fan and I have all his albums from 1980-1998 but after that I just can't get into his newer stuff, for me it's incredibly boring and bland.

So Far So Good is his best compilation, no weak songs and great sound.

From the 90's I thought his Unplugged album was actually quite interesting, but yeah the Cuts Like A Knife, Reckless, Into The Fire run was really special.

You should try the Bryan Adams Live At The Palladium L.A. 1985 CD that came out a couple of years ago. It's a full show in very good quality and superb performances, the only downfall is the fade in, fade out between songs but still if you like his 80's stuff you should like it. Live! Live! Live! from 1988 as well and the Reckless Deluxe has a very good live show from 1985 as well.

F.U.B.B and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

Guys just playing Heat of the Night song friggin loud and for me his finest moment. Have had an unofficial version of that LA show and from memory don’t think there are fades and top of his game. Yep agree Pouch the Reckless Delux bonus another great show from his peak. For me the So far so Good album sums up BA pretty well - track 13 then you get track 14 and trust me l don’t forgive him - sick in a bucket but hey ho if it pays his bills who am l to argue as said previously. We all have to make a living.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Pouchkine likes this.
  9. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

He wrote some tremendous ballads in the 80's and early 90's but they were surrounded by a lot of great rock songs. Somewhere in the mid 90's he started writing poor ballads and too many boring mid-tempo songs.

Heat Of The Night is in my top 5 Bryan Adams songs, perfect song all around. Heaven, Summer Of 69, The Only One and then it's though probably between Heat Of The Night, Hiding From Love, I'm Ready from Unplugged, maybe Victim Of Love or Do I Have To Say The Words?

F.U.B.B likes this.
  10. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

He puts on a decent show for sure. Saw him in 1983 open for Supertramp in Vancouver, his hometown; and again on his Ultimate Tour in 2018. I got a solid effort on both occasions, and despite not being a big fan, I'd go again. In 2018, the show ran a pretty solid 2 hours from what I recall.

Bryan Adams Average Setlists of tour: The Ultimate Tour | setlist.fm

11. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Is he also touring constantly without an opening act? Meaning often a 2h00 or so show?

12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I saw him here for the first time in January. It was enjoyable; he played everything
    I wanted him to play. He certainly is not a showman by any stretch of the imagination.
    When he put the harmonica around his neck and started talking about his family growing
    up it was so Springsteen-like I found it somewhat unsettling, however.

13. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

Seen him a few times over the years and his live show always rocks. Still massive in U.K playing very big venues with no dual headlining. He’s obviously got something right to stay at the top. Live comes across as a genuine guy.

DavidD, Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

So Far So Good is a great classic era 'best of'.

Matthew Tate and Pouchkine like this.
  15. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

Agree - cost me £3 new and with aid of remote more than enough rock to keep me going on full throttle. Thinking about it though and here’s a thought; does anyone out there think a major reason why he still fills major venues big time is because of the sugar soap he’s done? Never under estimate the feminine support he get for the love dove stuff. Soap not my cup of tea but just maybe top draw management which means both rockers, love doves and those in between come together in buying tickets.

Pouchkine likes this.
  16. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

To end tonight on a bit of a laugh - Couple of potential newlyweds went to their vicar and asked for the Robin Hood song to be played on bride entering church in 1991. As she entered song rang out “Robin Hood riding through the Glen, Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood and his band of men (repeat 16 times). Unfortunately song was the signature tune to the black and white 50s Robin Hood TV show and not the massive cinema 1991 film Adams release! True Story! - easy to catch both versions of the song on net! Enjoy you won’t be disappointed, certainly not by the earlier release.

mark ab and Pouchkine like this.
  17. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I actually loved his last album with Jeff Lynne from ELO producing, this album not so much.

Matthew Tate and Pouchkine like this.
  18. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Musically, "Shine A Light" is quite strong. Lyrically? Not so much.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

The song "All Or Nothing" sounds a little bit too close to ACDC's "Highway To Hell' for my liking.

20. Stingfan80

Stingfan80 Forum Resident

Bryan's recent studio efforts have been decent albeit rather lazy. Get Up was fun but spoiled by Lynn's production, the songs were much better live.
    Shine A Light does have pretty nice tunes, although most of them would have probably ended up as b-sides when he was at his peak.
    That said, he's still incredibly good live and is voice has held up remarkably well (and it's all live as he sometimes ****s up the lyrics). He's an incredible singer, even more so if you consider that he's now 60.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Listening to this album (vinyl version with I Hear you Knockin'), this is surprisingly a great album. I was hesitant to buy it with the J. Lo guest appearance and terrible album cover, but it's vintage Bryan Adams here.

Stingfan80 and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.