New Cart choice! Shure V15V w Jico SAS, or Nagaoka MP-150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I do know that JICO has made numerous changes to increase profits. I do not know if every single change was for that reason. Selling directly to the public is one way to alienate dealers and lose sales. Look at SOTA.

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I see that both listings feature 'make offer'. The one stylus that sold has '--' for the sale price. EBay takes what are in my opinion excessive amounts of money with auctions. Better to price high and accept a reasonable offer. So maybe those genuine Shures will sell for a reasonable price. I am in no way contradicting the post. Just adding some thoughts. In other words, If someone wants one of these styli, go for it. Make an offer. You never know when the seller may need some cash fast. I have sold styli for less than I paid for them wholesale if I want to free up some cash.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

With only one 'audiophile' cartridge I guess their sales did not approach Ortofon's sales of 500,000 cartridges a year. LOL.

5. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Last i checked my supplier had a nos original Shure VN5MR. I believe I listed it around $400cdn

If anyone’s interested in it I can see if he still has it....

6. Benzion

I am. - the whole cart, or just stylus?

7. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Sorry, I was looking at the eBay links and should have been clearer, just the stylus

8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

9. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

The JICO has landed! Will try to install tonight, report back perhaps this weekend...

SteelyNJ likes this.
  10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Good choice!

11. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

It's not a Shure original stylus, so I wish you the best available still.

12. ThorensSme

I was going to wait until this weekend to write an update, but it is an absolutely stunning upgrade. Love it. Will write something more in depth after I spend some hours with it...

oregonalex, Jimi Floyd and SteelyNJ like this.
  13. ThorensSme

The Jico is outstanding in the Shure. More vibrant and alive than I ever remember the stock stylus being. Great tracer too. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Benzion and SteelyNJ like this.
  14. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Agree. I bought my first SAS first nine years ago and have now the second one and I still get amazed how low distortion this stylus gives. Truly amazing and with some adjusted loading also very neutral.

15. ThorensSme

As for tracking force, JICO recommends 1.25 plus or minus .25 grams. I am using the brush in the down position and have set tracking at 1.5, is that correct? Jico doesnt say how much to add if using the brush, so i have added the .25grams from what I have read elsewhere on the forums.

16. Benzion

Not sure what Jico recommends. With the original Shure brush, the recommendation was +.5 gr - so I have mine tracking at 1.75.

17. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Our Needle N97XE JICO SAS For Shure M97XE

"As with the original Shure's, if you use the brush guard system, this "lifts" the stylus up with about half a gram so you will need to increase your tracking force setting to 1.75 to achieve about 1.25 grams at the tip."

Benzion likes this.
  18. ThorensSme

This conflicts with most other threads around stating a .25gram increase for using the brush. I remember the shure stylus and brush required the .5. I am inclined to believe the .25gran figure simply because the Jico brush is much less stiff/damped than the original shure was. Wonder if anyone has contacted Jico for clarification. Oh well, sounds amazing as is!

19. Benzion

There's common knowledge that Shure brushes were superior, and Jico's are not as good. Perhaps Jico brushes are stiffer, and thus need less extra weight. Go with what you know, the Shure cart's tracking range begins at .75 gr - you'll be fine either way.

EDIT: Stiffer OR softer, whatever requires less weight.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  20. ThorensSme

I put an email into LPGear hopefully they can give an official answer. Really enjoying this new combo!

21. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The JICOs I’ve had differ quite much in the brush damping. 0.25 g is the JICO recommendation. However many users clean the hinges and put new silicon damping fluid to improve the function. I did this as well.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My Shure M 44 fleet and my M 75 EJ fleet disagree highly with you. Flat and accurate. Older Shures were anything but dull or muddy. M 97xE, I agree with you. And I like the better AT offerings of yore (the father offerings of the VM line). I'd go any Audio-Technica VM line over any Nagaoka but the top models. They perform very well if a bit bright for my taste (which is the taste of the best studio). So yes, I can recommend the AT VM 540 for our OP, a nice choice which performs great. The lower end Nagaokas for me are too lifeless and lacking on treble extension.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Shure could not get beryillium for their cantilevers. Which is why Shure discontinued the V 15 Type VxMR. And they supposedly tried alternative materials. Jico styli are the best option for Shure users today, the closest to original (and sometimes upgrades over) available today.

24. Benzion

Beryllium is still available and widely used in audio. It was just an excuse.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I was on my second Denon DL-110, and though it had a great sound-stage and was very "musical", I missed the "bite" and honesty of the AT carts (I had run two AT440's before the Denons). Very happy with the AT VM 540.
    It's like I'm rediscovering my record collection again. Lots of needle-dropping going on now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.