New CD players incapable of gapless playback??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phil Tate, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

I just saw this somewhat worrying YT video claiming that increasingly, new CD players, including expensive models from some major manufacturers, are incapable of playing CDs without gaps.

I had no idea there were ANY CD players that couldn't do this, it's such a basic and fundamental feature of the format. As the guy says in the video, imagine trying to enjoy side 2 of Abbey Road with gaps between each track!

Obviously second hand players are so abundant that this doesn't seem like a big issue at the moment, but this won't always be the case.

2. Tim 2, Phil Tate and Curiosity like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Most can't do gapless anymore. Even my 2005 Pioneer DVDP, which has long been retired and relegated to a secondary system, does gapless no problemo, so it's beffudling at the very best.

My Oppo does gapless, but only with cds, not with audio files though. Not horribly irritating for files, yet unnaceptable for CDs.

SeeDeeFirth and Phil Tate like this.
  4. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

This has all really shocked me, I had absolutely no idea it was an issue. I'd have thought gapless playback was written into the CD standard. I remember my first ever time hearing a CD player in the 80s, it was playing Dark Side of The Moon seamlessly and I remember watching the track numbers change and thinking "but how does it know?!". Why is it now so hard to do?

JimmyCool, dennis1077, somnar and 9 others like this.
  5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's ridiculous. It should be a basic feature of a CD-capable player.

If new players no longer stream continuously but load each track separately, then there should be a buffer which guarantees that there is no playback gap between two tracks.

6. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I used to listen to CD rips on a hard drive attached to an Oppo and stumbled across gapless playback one day. If I remember right, you have to hold your finger on the track for a few seconds and then a window would pop up which would allow me to choose gapless. This is done through Oppo's control app.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  7. I think the gapless issue has come around because nobody is making CD only mechanisms any more.
    The majority of optical mechanisms today are capable of reading a number of different formats.

It is still possible to get a player capable of gapless, as this Marantz player shows
    Marantz CD6007 (Black)

McLover, patient_ot and Tim 2 like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some newer CDPs don't support Pre-Emphasis either.

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I do much the same with my Oppo, but unless I'm missing something, this is only possible with FLAC files. I set up gapless prior to spinning an album, with the remote, via the button below and left of the navigation cluster.

Or ANY music playback tool.

JRiver plays back everything perfectly on my separate 2-ch system. I'm considering the Eversolo streamer for the 5.1 system (esp for its ability to stream/play ripped 5.1 files), but I now wonder if THAT box is capable of gapless.

Yes, gapless, and other simple music playback function issues, having been going unaddressed for decades now. Probably started with the growth of home theatre products, whose users wouldn't notice or complain about music-oriented issues.

Screwed again.

10. Petols

Petols Forum Resident

The Rotel CD 11 Tribute can do gapless playback.

mikedifr0923, Mylene, Gizmo90 and 2 others like this.
  11. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Whew. I frantically grabbed my gap-o-meter CD - Gino Vannelli Storm at Sunup - to see if my Rega Apollo will betray me. There is an excellent transition between Storm at Sunup and Love Me Now. It plays gapless just fine. If not, it would be in the lake as I type this.

Clearly I have not used it enough to inherently have known that answer. Sounds pretty good!

April Snow likes this.
  12. Lawrencer2003

Lawrencer2003 Musical Omnivore

I guess the logic is that folks listen to songs, not album sides anymore. I own the Marantz 6007 so relieved to learn that it manages. I’ve never noticed a problem with my CD-C 600 changer. Hope the new 603 is not an issue.

Tero likes this.
  13. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Video guy has since got a Cambridge audio axc25 which features gapless playback, kinda like it should have been all along but they made it a feature. The gapfull player in the vid is an older azure. It's annoying but nothing to worry about. Could have been raised at any point in the last 10 years.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wow that's new to me; thanx! But my Oppo doesn't "see" my home network with the supplied dongle. I use the display exclusively. Afraid that firmware updates might make me loose feaurures anyway so it's only connected to a TV via HDMI, for concert video media. There's another way to play gapless according to the manual but it involves the TV on, and I cover it with an acoustic panel during my listening sessions.

15. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

And decodes pre-emphasys too.

iainoco and Gizmo90 like this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

As far as I am concerned a CD player that can't playback CD's gapless is faulty and not fit for purpose. Why would anyone buy one?

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Wow, I did not know about this. Although, I can't say that it really surprises me too much as CDs are technically an obsolete technology which is dying fast at this point. So, the fact that that manufacturers are no longer bothering to provide some of the basic features of the format anymore should not come as shocking.

It's not all that different from tubes back in the late 70s. Tube demand was falling off a cliff at the time, and so tube quality started suffering as well.

John B Good likes this.
  18. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It’s just cost reduction.
    Cheapened down by leaving out basic features.
    Why are people surprised by this?
    We’re in the middle of a recession resulting from many years of economic downturn…

Lenny99, Paul_s and PhantomStranger like this.
  19. Rege Bamyasi

Rege Bamyasi Well-Known Member

Wow I guess I was lucky when I chose the Atoll DR200 transport. It's gapless. Although, I was choosing between that and the Rega Saturn, and I see someone mentioned that the Apollo is gapless, so maybe the Saturn is, too?

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Annoying but nothing to worry about? I probably have 1,000 CDs that are continuous plays. That’s a little more than annoying and it’s tons to worry about.

21. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Kate Bush, The Beatles, Pink Floyd or any continuously mixed dance CD with gaps? Watched this a couple of nights ago and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Gapless playback has been a feature and selling point of CDs since their introduction, has it not? This is totally unacceptable.

I probably shouldn't be surprised though, considering the abuse audio quality and the CD format has endured for the last 25 years. The cost cutting and dumbing down continues unabated. Another nail etc...

oregonalex, missan, timind and 4 others like this.
  22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I have some classical CDs on which movements of a symphony are split into tracks, even where there is no pause.

Or recordings of Rachmaninov's Paganini Rhapsody which have a new track for each of the 24 variations of the tune, although these are played continuously.

This wasn't necessarily a good idea by the CD mastering engineers (better use indexes for that purpose), but it shows that CD makers assumed that every CD player would support gapless playback. These CDs are unlistenable with gaps. It sounds like a faulty disc.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The thing the guy's wrong about is that Blu Ray players play gapless. When my CD player gave up I used a Blu Ray and it put a half a second gap between every song. I've recently bought the above Rotel that plays perfectly,

My car CD play skips gaps completely so if you play The Who Live at Leeds you miss out on all the witty introductions.

Giobacco and John3655 like this.
  24. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

My Moon CDT plays gapless.

25. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Alternative title,
    One guy discovered his brother's ten year old obsolete cd player doesn't play gapless and makes outrage out of it.

japhi, Neil S. Bulk, Tim 2 and 8 others like this.