New Complete Faust Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gershbec, Jun 10, 2021.

1. gershbec

gershbec Forum Resident Thread Starter

Faust announce mega box set including previously unreleased album

Unfortunately the Bandcamp link doesn’t list this album. I went to the label’s site to order and while they’ve got it, they are trying to charge me VAT (I live in the U.S.). Not sure how to get around it.

[EDIT] Actually, I think they aren’t including VAT but it’s hard to tell with the way the total is being calculated.

2. Foldy Rhizome

Foldy Rhizome Forum Resident

It's released by the Bureau B label, all the usual online places in the U.S. will have it.

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Recommended Records announced last week that they were ceasing to deal with the Faust back catalogue (after 40 years!) and that a new archive box was coming from the band.

An unreleased album is fascinating prospect. It's called Punkt and they say 'recorded at Georgio Moroder's studio'. So, it sounds like it will be 'Faust V' or as sometimes called 'Munich'. (But how they called that unreleased I am not sure - as it was part of the Muncih and Elsewhere release.) Plus two other LPs of material, some unreleased, but who knows what that will be...

The LP box is 189 Euro. The CD 89 Euro.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Not sure I need this, I have the earlier box and a few of the standalone releases to fill out the period.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Two words? "Foking" and "hell"! :cheers:

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Those prices include VAT but when you order the unit price is shown without VAT and then the VAT is added back onto the combined unit price and postage, as a separate charge.

I believe German VAT is 19%.

7. gershbec

gershbec Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good to know. I haven’t heard of that label so wasn’t sure. Plus the 1000 unit limit, though not sure that Faust sets will fly off the shelf.

8. Foldy Rhizome

Foldy Rhizome Forum Resident

I'd image Bureau B would either reprint it if it sells out, or issue all the discs separately. Bureau B keeps pretty much all their stuff in print, as far as I'm aware.

9. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I got the Wumme Years box back in the day (£2! I know!) but I'd be interested in getting the 'extra' discs.

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Oh, and that's a new set of titles for the "Faust Tapes" am I right?

fRa likes this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I hope Buereau B do this with the full album cover designs. I didn't like what they did with the Cluster LPs in the Cluster Box. A kind of reductive designer-minimalism and each one looking the same.

I'm not sure. This well sell fewer than Cluster and the Cluster Box did not get a repress.

From what I can see The Faust Tapes is included with the same name. What is included is two albums called Momentaufnahme (snapshots) I and II. These look like new collections of non-album materials some of which will be new – from what I read there.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Try again..

Oh, and that's a new set of titles for the individual tracks on "The Faust Tapes". Am I right?

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

O h I see - yes. Sorry I had not noticed that track listing. yes it's true. Somehow I preferred Side 1 and Side 2. And then on CD when half of them were still untitled. It's Ok though – I'll just ignore them.

EDIT. Now I read it fully there is also a tracklisting for 'Punkt' . Intriguing. Only one track name is familiar. Also what is happening with the Momentaufnahme LPs? Do any of those tracks correspond with the Faust Party tracks, I wonder?

15. Duck Feeling

Duck Feeling Forum Resident

I'm excited by this new set, but I wonder why none of the 71 Minutes tracks appear in the tracklists... I'm not a Faust expert, but I thought these tracks were recorded between 1970 and 1974 too, right?

Fitter Stoke, sharedon and mr.datsun like this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Odd, isn't it? I cannot help thinking they have retitled everything. The titles on Momentaufnahme even sound 'modern', like the kind of titles they used in recordings by later incarnations of the group. But who knows, until we hear it?

17. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Does anybody know if the LPs will be AAA?

18. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

No idea if they are on here or not, if they are re-titled, or if the last 2 LPs are all new, unreleased tracks. Also, looking at the track list, it says 7 LPs, and 2 7-inch singles. So, is CD 8 just the tracks from the 2 singles, or something else? Doesn't say anywhere. Very confusing so far..... just like a Faust release.

Has anyone tried contacting the label and asking any questions? That may get some answers.

Probably not though....

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I read through it, and on Bureau B site, to see what was what with the 8th CD. I came to the conclusion it has the 4 tracks from the two 7" singles. It is the only thing that would make any sense.

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

21. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Confirms that the 8th CD contains the 4 tracks from the 2 singles. Not much else though. Reading through the comments it seems like there is a "booklet" of some kind, but doesn't clear up anything else. Looks like a lot of questions still, even more if you read the comments. Info will probably just trickle out over time. I can't commit to this until I get more info. Love the band, but....

sharedon likes this.
  22. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I just ordered this from Amazon UK. It ended up $127 to my door. If I find a better or better still local meaning USA I'll just cancel and go with that. So far that's the best price I've found but it's early on.

sharedon likes this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

LP or vinyl?

24. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Sorry. CD

25. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

sharedon likes this.