New copy-protected CDs are iPod incompatible

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mudbone, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I don't have a problem on my PC with my Sony Vaio Pocket. Sounds like an Apple problem to me :)

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I have not come across a single copy protected CD that I could not rip, burn, or transfer to my iPod using my Mac, and that included the Foo Fighters album, although I have the 2-CD+DVD-A UK version of that release. I don't know of that makes any difference.

3. GoldenBoy

No problems at all, as I stated above. Just to be on the safe side though, it's a good idea to set your preferences to 'ignore' CD's when inserted.

4. Yeah, it's a PC thing. Macs are immune to this copy protection.

5. This is not due to copy protection. Copy protection would prevent you from ripping files off the CD, due to interference from a program that the CD installs on a Windows PC.

Macs are immune to the copy protection because the record companies have not written a version of the copy protection for Mac.

Sounds like you've blown your speakers on the iMac. Not copy protection, though. Macs immune.

6. Yes, essentially, it is a Trojan. You supposedly are made aware of it if you read the fine print on the CD.

7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

never had a problem until today. New Patty Loveless would not even run on my PC...let alone trying to rip it to my IPOD...

It tried to load some kind of player software to my computer.....

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I found the Trojan that a copy-protected CD planted on my PC, but I could still rip it!

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

How do I get rid of it if it installed on my computer?

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

To answer my own question, the FAQ says:

But I cannot imagine that this works perfectly. If Apple computers are immune to the copyprotection and can read the audio data normally, PCs can be too, if the loading of the DRM software is prevented.

Another annoying thing about this copyprotection is:

I know that in a default Windows installation every user has administrator rights, but this is not recommended (and not necessary) for a safe PC.

It is also odd to need DirectX 9 installed (usually only required for the latest PC games) in order to listen to a CD.

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Can anyone help me here...is there a way to load this disc to my IPOD using my PC?

12. GoldenBoy

Have you tried going into your control panel and turning off auto load for CD's?
    I've also read that it is possible to bypass auto load and, in the process, any copy protection merely by holding down, is it the 'alt' key?, when inserting the disc. Of course, if the CP software has been installed already, you will have to uninstall it to get anything to work.

13. boead

boead New Member

Windows XP with the MS firewall and/or types of AdWare apps will not allow the drives to be installed without prompting an Ok.

I’ve come across these already and you simply say no and block the install. Unfortunately, once done its difficult to remove if you don’t have a restore point.

A friend wasn’t paying attention and allowed one of these CD’s to install its copy protection. Nero wouldn’t copy these disc types anymore. We did a Windows XP system restore to a point prior to the install and all was fine.

It’s a futile effort on the labels part but understandable.

DVD’s have mandatory copy write for all apps sold in the US. There are apps that disable this but it’s not entirely legal unless it’s for the purpose of backup.
    www.slysoft.com

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I did allow this to install...so is there a way to delete it?

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It's the Shift key.

But if the CD could be effectively copied just be preventing the autostart/install of the DRM software, this scheme would be extremely easy to circumvent. I can't imagine a label being that stupid again:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/21/emi_sony_bmg_revisit_cd_copy_protection/

18. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hmmm... I wonder what happens if the consumer says neither "yes" nor "no"?

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:shh:

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

21. Cyaneyes

Cyaneyes Forum Resident

Wow. OK. Some misconceptions in this thread.

There are many different types of copy protection, of which SunnComm's "hold down the Shift key to stop the software from installing" method is only one. What most recent copy protection schemes do is actually corrupt the CD data. This will be inaudible (theoretically) on standalone CD players, which will use their error-correction and play back the audio in realtime. CD-ROM drives, on the the other hand, attempt to read every bit perfectly. Non-secure rippers will have clicks all through the music. Secure rippers like EAC will choke, because they will never read the same data twice in any one sector.

The CD side of DualDiscs can and sometimes are copy-protected. The new Oasis.

Macs. While immune to copy protection that uses Windows-based software, that by no means makes them immune to all types of protection. If the disc is purposely corrupted, it's corrupted.

Of course, you could always use a DVD decrypter to rip the audio off the DVD side of a DualDisc, but that would be ILLEGAL! :shh:

22. GoldenBoy

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. On a Macintosh, the CP will never load, thus there is nothing to stop one from ripping the CD with iTunes with Error Correction turned on. It doesn't matter if the data is 'corrupted'. If it can be read and played back on a stand-alone CD player, then the same applies for a CD-Rom drive, as long as there is nothing there blocking it from accessing the data in the first place.

As I said before, I have had no problems on my Mac with any CP discs at all. That includes European as well as domestic releases.

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

OK, but we are not talking of copyprotection in general but of the scheme used by SonyBMG. Do you know which type it is?

According to the information I found, the SonyBMG system does not corrupt the audio data, but loads a DRM software. This happens on Windows systems only, Apple computers can access the audio data normally.

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/faq.html

If that is possible, it should also be possible to access the audio data on a Windows PC, by preventing the DRM functions to load. See the posts above.

24. GoldenBoy

Right. And, as I said above, even on a so called 'corrupted' CD, if the data can be accessed directly, it can be copied. AFAIK, even the CP schemes that 'corrupt' the data still need to be run or installed before they block the PC from extracting it - that is when the data is then scrambled. Any other way would make the disc incompatible with the vast majority of CD players.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The Macrovision CDS200 system, used by EMI in Europe, actually corrupts data on the CDs. There are many playability problems with DVD-drive based players, like DVD players or car CD players.

Such discs play OK on my CD player, but not on my SACD/DVD player where they produce clicking noises. The DVD drive of my computer could not access the audio data (just as intended), but my old CD-RW burner could read (and copy) them perfectly.

Macrovision does not advertize the CDS200 scheme anymore (only CDS100 and 300), so maybe it has been abandonned.

http://www.macrovision.com/products/cds/index.shtml

(Edited)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.