NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencertherover

spencertherover New Member

2. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I don't think you've understood my post at all :rolleyes:

3. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I guess you are right: "Recovered from official hi-res download"

4. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Order it off the Bowie site and it's just over £30 including courier delivery.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well....it seems very clear . You don't want to have to (potentially) pay twice for any overlapping songs, if there is a deluxe edition with bonus material. And you want us all to not buy it as well.

Simple solution...don't buy it until the (potential) deluxe edition comes out.

If I am not understanding what you're saying....my apologies.

6. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

It's priceless.

Mlle. Aurora and Steel City like this.
  7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I just bought the cd at Best Buy for $9.99 plus tax in Springfield, CT. Anything I can do to make this happen.

I'm not buying the vinyl because if I buy one Bowie vinyl I'm going to what them all (kind of my self-embossed rule for all bands).

8. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I bought the Blackstart Cd at the great Disk n Dat in Bethel, CT for $12.99 last Thursday. I liked it so much that I decided Sunday night that I would buy the one lp they had of it Monday.

I called to ask it they still had it Monday at noon and they did and agreed to hold for me at $30.99.

When I went in to pick it up that night, they told me five people came in wanting to buy it, but they held it for me. Gotta love still having a local record that knows you.

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Reports that this album is unlistenable on CD are greatly exaggerated.

10. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The digital version sounds great to my eras....

Rooster_Ties and RubenH like this.
  11. and my 25 year son called me on sunday after he saw and heard the Lazarus video and said he loved it. Before we knew of Bowie's passing... But I have turned him on (brainwashing him) to such a wide variety of music since day one. Out there jazz, country, rock, classical.... Like us old folks, young people have different tastes.

12. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I don't like it? Where did you get that idea? I love it! ...you see, that's where things go in the wrong direction in internet discussions, please stick to what I did write, and not what I did not write, and all will be fine :)

And no, I'm not missing the point. We are in full agreement when you say:

"This is as much part of the true first run as the black vinyl version"

All I'm saying is that the clear vinyl is nothing MORE than the black vinyl edition. Exactly what you say, it seems ;)

Additionally, I'm also saying that from a MUSIC collection point of view, the black vinyl is more representative of the main album global release than the clear vinyl limited edition, and that, for a record collection, makes the black vinyl a more indispensable item than the clear vinyl. A collection missing the main black vinyl edition is much more flawed than a collection missing the clear vinyl edition, so I can't see how the clear vinyl is the more collectible, and I think most of us agree with this... no?

Nothing wrong with the clear vinyl (I love it, just like I love the black vinyl), just please stop the madness! I for one can't see anything positive in this entire multi-hundred euros sales the day after Bowie passes away, just because it's on clear viny, something that was decided by some guy in a building at Sony or by some guy in B&N figuring out how to attract more customers because clear vinyl is nice and fun...

We should all contribute to make things a little more reasonable. This Bowie $$$ is really sad and a bit disgusting.

And no... "Bowie himself" did not sell anything to you... hehehehe

;)

Gavinyl and strummer101 like this.
  13. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

But the DR numbers are so much better!

Ben Adams and crispi like this.
  15. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I order clear vinyl on Sunday night from B&N , it says order still processed . I wonder if I get it, seems I long time to ship

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Errr... you love the clear vinyl edition? Then why all this slightly esoteric talk about "more flawed collections" and "main black vinyl releases"? I guess you need to accept that there is more than one way of collecting.

You still didn't get the fact that the clear vinyl wasn't only for sale at B&N - hence can't be compared to their typical colour vinyl editions. And...no...since I ordered my copy from JPC I definitely didn't order anything from DB. At least you got THAT right:):)

Can we NOW please stop talking about "main global releases" and listen to "Blackstar"?

elvismcdouglas and jon9091 like this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Errrr...I would have to say no. A collection that only has the clear vinyl edition is not flawed in any way. The clear vinyl is far more collectible. That's why it's selling for the insane amount of $500. And they both sound exactly the same. I have both.

The album itself is indispensable. The format just comes down to preference.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Ash76, Neonbeam and elvismcdouglas like this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I interpret the astronaut as Major Tom.

dead of night likes this.
  19. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that I'm not making myself clear and we all seem to be discussing different aspects of this matter...

It's the internet. Moving on...

jon9091 likes this.
  20. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Agreed. My favourite Bowie 'album' of all. My last.fm stats tell me I've listened to nearly to this nearly a 1000 times since 2014.

I haven't listened to Blackstar since the terrible news. :(

Group of One likes this.
  21. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Great album that just gets better with each listen. What an amazing parting gift from a true artist.

KipB, johnny 99 and pobbard like this.
  22. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Which era are you talking about? Your right one or your left one?

23. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Kicking myself for being lazy and not picking up the vinyl on Friday, then again on Saturday and yet again talked myself out of going out to grab it on Sunday. Now I'm hammering all my local shops to see if the UPS guy has dropped off more.
    :sigh:

24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Quite possible. It's also clearly an allusion to the film "Moon", directed by his son Duncan Jones. Check out the little smiley on the astronaut's suit, a direct reference to the character of the computer in that film.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dbstay, ledsox and jfeldt like this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Then by further extension, Major Tom's head becomes the icon that lauches a new religion.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.