New David Gilmour music coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puddleduck, Jun 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

He played Yes I Have Ghosts during a youtube event promoting Polly's book.

But, it's good news that there is still music to come.

I guess it will be necessary to buy the audiobook to hear the soundtrack music. Or, will there be a standalone release of the music?

D-rock likes this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Out of retirement already !
    :)

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

5. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Looking forward to it.

6. Stratopeter

Stratopeter Forum Resident

7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Anything new from Gilmour is a gift at this point.

8. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Maybe he should buy those guitars back?

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

So do I have this right...The single "Yes, I have Ghosts" will be the only piece of music that will be available separately? The rest of the music will be soundtrack music as backing for Polly's audio book? Not nitpicking, just trying to understand: No stand-alone full soundtrack?

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I hope it's better than Rattle That Lock, which was a big disappointment for me. Something more like on An Island would be nice.

12. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

It is good news indeed, just hope it is better than his last two solo efforts.

parman likes this.
  13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

YES!!! Cant't wait.

14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Rattle that Lock is probably his best album for me. I didn't get to hear it until just before lockdown and maybe that is why it resonates so strongly. Hard to understand why if you like On an Island you are disappointed in the follow up?

15. Somerset Scholar

Great news that David hasn't fully retired. I thought we had heard the last from him.

St. Troy likes this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes I know, no accounting for taste is there?

On An Island seems to me to be a companion piece to The Division Bell, similar in style but just a bit more slowed down and laid back.
    Rattle That Lock - which I think I admittedly only listened to once in full - did not seem to have any of the feel of those two albums, or of Floyd at all. It was pleasant enough pop, but I felt no magic from it.

It was quite funny last year when I was waiting on a railway platform in France, hearing that little jingle that precedes the announcements and thinking "Hey I know that from somewhere!"

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Very difficult to take a panning seriously when one has only played an album once.

One needs to give most albums a few listens.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'll listen as many times, or as few times, as I wish, thank you. I imagine I have lots of albums in my collection that you have never listened to even once.

19. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Perhaps, I have over 6000 albums. If I have not heard them or only heard them once, I won't be too harsh on them either.

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Funny, I liked Rattle That Lock more than On an Island, but both are pretty laid back albums. I'm not really expecting much as from the article, it looks like the new music is solely music for an audiobook. I didn't even know that was a thing?

juanmanuel likes this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

How exciting, I think not.

hi_watt and Crosseyed like this.
  22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Neither did I, but it makes sense when you think about it. Just as long as the music is not allowed to intrude too much on the spoken words.

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I did not think my criticism was harsh, and certainly not what I would call "panning". I said "pleasant enough".

If I had said "this is terrible" or "this is boring", now THAT would be panning.

24. Somerset Scholar

I do think people should give albums a few goes before deciding on their view of it.
    I was a bit disappointed to hear only one spin had happened but do also understand how playing a record once you can be underwhelmed and lose interest.
    I do think Rattle that Lock has lots of Floydian echoes and for goodness sake one track is about Rick Wright!:)

The Quiet One and Turntable like this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The problem then is that I could say I listened to it twice, and I would still get "Oh that's not enough, you need to give it a few listens to really appreciate it."

I get so tired of being told that if I don't love something, the problem lies with me or the way I approach it. I think by now I know myself well enough to tell, after one listen, whether it's something that either I like immediately or that I may come to enjoy.

johnsiddique likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.