New Dutton-Vocalion Mch SACD releases announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tingman, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Good idea if he responds. He has before. First time, I 'bout fell off the couch. I used to have a DTS disc of Not Fragile.

van1 and fredblue like this.
  2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

So I come back from my vacation to see you're tempting me again?:rant: You never give up!;) Guess Who: American Woman/Share The Land and the Charlie Rich ordered

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Just purchased:

Musicmagic
    Sextant
    Body Talk
    American Woman/Share The Land
    Rockin'/Best Of....

Cant Wait!!

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Is it wrong that I honestly felt like a kid at Christmas yesterday, when I pulled that long Dutton Vocalion package from my mailbox? I have some serious catching up to do, as I still have copies of their "Best of Guess Who Vol. 2" and the two-fer Billy Paul sitting in a stack of SACD's still sealed!

I'm just going to say it, but THANK YOU Michael Dutton for keeping these coming! Not only consistently great mastering, but in BOTH Stereo and Multi-Channel and for such great and super fair prices! I feel bad that you weren't around doing these when "surround music" made a comeback all those years ago on SACD and DVD-A, as it's guys like you, who are willing to offer so many titles that are truly "interesting" and not the same old titles that have been done time and time again!

5. The three new (Charlie Rich, Guess Who, & Paul Revere) arrived today about two weeks after ordering and as expected SQ is simply amazing. So far first spin in stereo and after a break (back to the massive 38 disc Woodstock Box) I’ll revisit these again. As @Chris C so eloquently stated, “Thank You Michael Dutton”. An unsung hero of the both the quad and SACD formats. 20 years later and I’m as excited about SACD’s as I was when the format launched. Although I have to admit twenty years ago I could never have envisioned being so excited about a Charlie Rich title! :laugh:

6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Looks like I will need to drive to the USPS tomorrow and check my po box. Wish I had a tracking number though. I paid extra for one.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Them just drop them a message asking for it, I always did, and always got an answer ! [email protected]

fredblue, Rigoberto and bodhisattva like this.
  8. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

If it's not in the box when I check tomorrow then that's what I will do.

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I got mine exactly a week after they sent me an email saying it was shipped, but I think I paid for the more expensive shipping. I did have to sign for it. The Charlie Rich SACD includes the best remastering that I have ever heard on Behind Closed Doors, and Every Time I Touch You (I Get High) sounds fantastic as well. I just ordered a few more copies as a back-ups, since I loved them so much. Its nice that they also included the original liner notes that were on the back of the original vinyl version of Behind Closed Doors as well.

10. Nice! :righton:

RSteven likes this.
  11. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Bachman-Turner Overdrive twofer quads on DV would be boss.

12. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

"you ain't seen nothin' yet..." :righton:

13. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Mine took 13 days to get to Toronto. I have not listened yet, but looking forward to it!

Shvartze Shabbos and fredblue like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

13 days? That's all?! Woah - that's- hold on, sombody's at the door....:bigeek:

You're never gonna believe what just showed up, 13 days after MY order...!

RSteven likes this.
  15. :righton:

16. art

art Senior Member

Paul Revere and the Raiders in hi-res is a dream. This is so good. They nailed it.

17. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

My two arrived in cardpacking.
    The Guess Who American Woman c/w Share The Land turned out better than I thought being strictly 2.0 here with admirable depth on No Time and Talisman and f.w.i.w. didn't notice any brightness on my solid state system, the playing is really good for anyone who just thinks of the GW Hits on oldies radio so if that's you I'd say order a copy and try it. You might well enjoy these two albums on a sacd.

Charlie Rich is childhood guilty pleasure loving The Most Beautiful Girl at the time even if Slade were a good deal hipper and the mastering is faultless, focused on Charlie's voice. Heck I even ordered the previous SACD twofer on the back of it.

18. allbrosca

I'm torn on Charlie. I don't really know his material other than TMBGITW, but the quality of the DV's are so good, I might take a chance on one. Any recommendations?

Shvartze Shabbos and RSteven like this.
  19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The four albums released by Dutton/Vocalion are from the same period so I invite you to listen to the soundclips offered by iTunes or look for these albums on YouTube. I personally enjoy all four.

20. fredblue

its hard to put my finger on exactly what it is, there is something intangibly special about the "Behind Closed Doors" album, i'd go so far as to say it's one of my favourite records of all time, it just flows so naturally from track to track, there's not a dud among them and i've never heard it better than on the new Vocalion mastering.. add to that the title track of "Every Time You Touch Me (I Get High)" is so so beautiful, for me one of his finest vocal performances (a tall order in a career full of stonkers) so i'd probably start with the SACD 2-fer of "Behind Closed Doors"/"Every Time You Touch Me (I Get High)" and if you get along with that alright maybe follow it up with the 2-fer of "The Silver Fox"/"Very Special Love Songs". "The Silver Fox" is an interesting kind of career overview/retrospective of his career to that point, together with Charlie doing his own linking narration between tracks to tell a potted little version of his lifestory, its cute and fun, i like it but BCD/ETYTM(IGH) are real standout gems, i'll stick my neck out and say it's pretty much essential among Vocalion's SACD releases so far, it's that good.

21. allbrosca

Sold me. Ordered!

The Killer, RSteven and fredblue like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I would go with Behind Closed Doors/Every Time You Touch Me personally, if I could only have one in my collection. It is as close to a perfect album as I have in my collection of over 2,000 CD's. Even if you are not a huge country music fan, BCD's is a soulful sonic delight. Charlie was so versatile that at times he could sound like Frank Sinatra, Elvis or even Ray Charles, but his smooth and evocative vocals on this album are just a delight. It also has a few of his and wife Margaret Ann's very genre defying originals as well. The second album on the twofer, Every Time You Touch Me (I Get High) is a sort of glistening piece of country pop music with a great original title track co-written by Rich himself and producer Billy Sherrill. It also features a truly majestic take of the standard Since I Fell For You. I also love Margaret Ann's Pass On By, which sounds like Ray Charles should have recorded it. Charlie's own revisit on Midnight Blues is fantastic as well with some fantastic strings rising in and out of his bluesy, but jazz inspired vocals and some amazing piano playing by blind piano legend Hargus "Pig" Robbins. The real problem is the one you get this twofer on Charlie Rich and listen it how great it is, you are going to end up wanting to get the other one as well. Charlie Rich's music is really addictive, and as music Elvis biographer Peter Guralnick once said, "He made so much of it that you could drown in it." He meant that as a compliment, by the way.

23. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Would love to see more Raiders titles, (particularly Midnight Ride) and early Weather Report. Maybe some Percy Faith stuff too. Hopefully sales will
    be good enough to justify more SACD releases.

24. fredblue

all the Percy Faith CBS Quad albums, bar "Live In Japan" and "Day By Day", have been released on Hybrid MultiCh SACD by Vocalion, they all sound great.

25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Beautifully put. Behind Closed Doors is a great album and Charlie Rich makes it all sound so easy you'd think you could do it yourself. DV have not only done a masterful job job on this but they're also selling it a such a reasonable price it'd be rude not to buy it.