New Dylan book + news on Scorsese's Rolling Thunder documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobcat, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Some more confirmation that Scorsese is working the Rolling Thunder doc! :goodie:

DanBNash and stewedandkeefed like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, that is fantastic. I have this thought of Scorcese walking into this vault with all the raw footage from Renaldo and Clara, and a big smile dawning on his face.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

GREAT NEWS!

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Does that picture of Scorsese include him walking into the vault with a lit match, along with that smile?

Okay...not for the concert footage, of course. But everything else...please!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Ignatius likes this.
  6. I hope it's better than the Lonooooooong cut of Renaldo and Clara which I saw at an initial screening upon its limited release in San Francisco

7. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Very cool. Thanks for sharing

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thanks for the post and the link.

Do keep us up to date on further developments.

9. Thanks for the heads-up and the link.

Best Wishes,
    David

10. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Really looking forward to the Scorsese doco. No Direction Home was brilliant. It would be great if Renaldo and Clara got some screenings to go along with it. An official dvd release of the full R&C would be welcome (to me anyway) too.

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

except for the revisionist parts....

Spadeygrove likes this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I want RENALDO & CLARA.

MRamble and cublowell like this.
  13. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

Brinkley is a great writer. I read "The Great Deluge" about Katrina/federal levee failures and it is extremely well done.
    He's detailed without being dry.

Steve-oh, signothetimes53 and rednax like this.
  14. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Me too - I've only ever seen the edit version on a VHS tape that must have been a 100th generation copy. I tire of documentaries that have a bunch of people talking about the subject, so I'd rather see the R&C film with an extras disc of lots more live songs from the tour.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. bobcat

?

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

some of what you see in the documentary is not exactly what happened...

On top of his booing overdubs and "creative" splices, someone with a good view of things offered this:

Mickey Jones:
    "In Scorsese’s documentary ‘No Direction Home,’ he tries to sync up the words “Play…****ing…loud” to Bob, and that didn’t happen. That’s a mistake, and I will say it to my grave that he manipulated that, and if you look at that footage 10 times, you’re gonna see two things: the lip does not match up to Bob. Whoever said “Play ****ing loud!” said it…was almost yelling…and when he manipulated those words into Bob’s mouth, his mouth is right in Robbie’s ear. He wouldn’t be yelling in Robbie’s ear. The other thing is, there’s a bit of a British accent there, ’cause you can hear the guy say “Play ****ing loud!”(faux British accent). It’s not Bob Dylan. For 35 years, everybody thought it was me, because I was the guy who played loud and kicked it off loud. It wasn’t me. We don’t know who it is. Nobody knows who it is. But here’s my theory: I believe it was one of our stage crew. We had a stage crew of 4/5 guys that went with us on the whole tour, and they would be right on the stage if anything went wrong. I believe it was one of our stage crew, who were English, standing up for us in the moment, because they had seen this booing the whole tour, and when that guy yelled “Judas,” this guy got sick of hearing it and he said “Play ****ing loud!”(faux British accent), and that’s when I hit my largest, loudest flam on my snare drum I ever hit…not only on that tour, but maybe in my career…I don’t know…and, uh, Scorsese got it wrong."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  17. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

That book on the New Orleans flooding was epic. And I'm still haunted by the chapter devoted to the woman who spent a couple days trapped in her attic, hanging on for dear life, 120 degrees heat, claustrophic, with the flood waters up to the floor of the attic....and poisonous snakes everywhere in the water below her.

I trust the only snakes in Brinkley's Dylan book will be record promoters.... lol

DanBNash likes this.
  18. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

The author says he has 'full cooperation of Dylan's company', hmm, seem to have heard that before, however given the positive comments about his book on'Katrina', it could be good.

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

why, at this point,m does Bob feel the need to stir up even more self-mythologizing? Shame on Scorcese too.

fishcane likes this.
  20. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

It sounds like Dylan saying it to me, not a British guy (I am a British guy) - but maybe that's just the power of suggestion. Mickey was there, I wasn't, so you'd think he'd know. (But Dylan isn't 'right in Robbie's ear' he's two feet away, and it's not someone 'yelling' but speaking forcefully - could someone off stage get picked up so clearly on the mikes? And what is Dylan saying if not that?)

Presumably Dylan OK'd the final cut of NDH and so he went along with the revisionism, if that's what it is? 'Print the legend' and all that...

Either way, still a terrific documentary imo.

Desolation Row and JMGuerr like this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Hopefully the documentary will have full length concert performances of an entire song.
    Including performances by Ramblin Jack Elliot, Baez, Mitchell, McGuinn, and Lightfoot.
    This was a very important, excellent tour and Dylan was in top form.

fishcane likes this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

"Its the truth, even if it didnt happen"
    Ken Kesey

Desolation Row, kagan and Dflow like this.
  23. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

A focus on the 70's! Take my money now....

Mr. H and DanBNash like this.
  24. bobcat

Why blame Dylan? (if this is true)

He didn't make the documentary....his interviews for it were apparently recorded years before Scorsese started editing it together.

fishcane likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

From his early stories about running away to join the circus Bob has always been inclined to present himself in a way that was clearly detached from reality. Scorcese has his own challenges when 'documenting' things (Ref. Robbie Roberston's microphone Last waltz) You actually don't think Bob signed off on this film?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.