"new" Holy Grail collectors edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Anyone hear about this new collectors edition of Monty Python and The Search For The Holy Grail? It has a msrp of 50 bucks so it must be something big. Probably the same print they used on the last release with a script and other crap we dont need but might buy. It would have to be pretty nice for me to buy this movie again. The last release was pretty cool. It looked great and had all kinds of extra stuff.

2. Matt

Matt New Member

How new is this? There's one that's been around for a few years that's GREAT, and despite all the extras, I think it retails pretty cheap. I got it for $10 on sale.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

It just may be the currently available Special Edition with a few extra things thrown in the box...

Attached Files:

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Might be the 3rd issue on DVD actually. Mine doesn't have commentary, just the fillmmm an' some photos.

5. Todd Fredericks

Sckott,

You have the first DVD release. The current one available is a very good special edition with an excellent 16:9 anamorphic picture, etc.

Todd

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The current SE would be pretty tough to improve on, IMO. Commentary tracks from the surviving Pythons, a BBC making-of documentary, a film with Palin and Jones revisiting the locations from the original shoot, an instructional video on the proper use of coconuts, a reenactment of the big "Camelot" musical number in Lego, Shakespearean subtitles...

7. Todd Fredericks

The $50 list price makes me think it's just a jazzed up collector's box edition like what Warner keeps churning out....

Todd

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'll rent the new edition and decide. Ah, sometimes you think when you buy a DVD of something, you'd think "Ok, that's IT!" :)

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Yeah like when I bought the Terminator 2 "Ultimate Edition" DVD. Now the "Extreme Edition" is available.

10. Matt

Matt New Member

It's gonna be just like the endless CD remastering/repackaging we go through. Man, to think there was a time people didn't own movies and could only see them in the theater.

11. Todd Fredericks

and soon the 'Super-duper-Ultimate-Extremist Version Until the Next One Edition" (w/3 nano seconds of additional end credit blackness)... :)

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I love this film! MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE! "We're the knights of the round table, we dance whenever we're able...":laugh:

Evan

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The 2nd Edition is fine by me. Just like the Cee Dee remasters, they are pulling the same with DVD!...Although, 99% of the time there is an improvement of some sort! :)

14. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

The Digital bits is reporting the following: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"And finally this morning, we've got some word for you on Columbia TriStar's new Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Collector's Edition. It is indeed the same 2-disc special edition that's already available. The only difference is, it now comes in a spiffy black slip case and includes a paperback copy of the screenplay and a collectible senitype film frame. We've got an e-mail into CTHE to try and find out if the film disc has been fixed to correct that missing first Swedish subtitle: "Mønti Pythøn Ik den Hølie Gräilen?" We'll let you know what we find out."

I may have to get this version, I've got the original DVD, but never picked up the special edition.

15. Todd Fredericks

I think I'll pass this. I'm happy with the SE and I guess I can live without the extra stuff in the box...

Todd

16. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

One of my favorite things on the last issue!

Of course, if these guys were still on top of their game, the new issue would be titled something like "The Completely Unnecessary Re-Issue- Now in a black box!"

Which apparently, is exactly what it is...!

17. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Or,

"No Really... this IS the Final Rip-off.... Maybe"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.