New "Hot Tuna" archival release: "Before We Were Them: June 28, 1969"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wright, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmm, if I had to choose, I'd probably pick Bob Steeler, even if his playing sometimes isn't all that dynamic. (Or might that be a fault of the mix?) Tuna drummers have a tough gig, since there isn't much room for interesting drum parts in their music.

slipkid and Hep Alien like this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

that's why I like Sammy. during his time with the band they were not quite as loud and the arrangements lent themselves to his ideas. I think of spencer that way too.

3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's good for sure. Wonder if he's still around? They had Bob Steeler sit in on one of the Beacon shows a few years ago, but I don't think Piazza has ever been invited back.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

I really like this amalgamation of the band.

I am relieved it has neither Will Scarlet (who didn't play solos, just played perpetually, most prominently
    Jorma's melody line) and Papa John Creach (similar reasons). Both are decent players of their ax but don't
    seem to realize how annoying their constant playing can be. IMHO, they are both the antithesis of Thom
    Doucette.

slipkid and uzn007 like this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Even with Covington, the Stanley sounds more like the Airplane to me than it does Tuna. I like that.

6. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Were Bear’s masters on cassette or reel to reel for this recording?

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

https://owsleystanleyfoundation.org/

These analog reel-to-reel recordings are nearing the end of their expected shelf lives and will deteriorate and be lost forever if they are not preserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.