New Iggy & The Stooges Album This Year....Steve Albini Producing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

hehehe, the golden age is always then, never now. For many that is :)

2. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I have listened to it twice now, & find that it meets my expectation of what I imagined it to be. Not another Fun House by far, but not bad either. I kinda miss that big fat ol slab'o bass sound that Dave Alexander used to provide, I think it would be a better fit rubbing up against Ashton's guitars. Not saying that Watt's a slouch, just that I like that old school Stooge bass sound better.
    Funny how Iggy's voice, while far from perfect, still sounds like it did back then.
    A decent effort I think, fun to listen to loud & when feeling obnoxious towards one's neighbors...:p

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

it is a golden age,

for Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Radiohead, Beck, Sufjan Stevens, Queens of The Stoneage and others

just not for The Stooges

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

:righton: I'm hearing SO much negativity towards this album; I'm not sure what people expected. It's a fun Rock album. It's not meant to be stacked up against the previous 3. I just take it for what it is: a good time Rock album at a time when there are hardly any to be found. The Toronto critics (who I never agree with anyway) are slagging this. All the more reason for me to like it. Not to start anything but I'll give you this: I'd rather listen to this (nice and loud) and have fun with it than listen to the Arcade Fire! Right on Iggy; you said it best in print recently - "I'm so sick of all this p***y s**t" (I agree Ig! Rock On!)

5. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

I have to disagree, but that's just my opinion. All those above bands are from the nightmarish age, not the golden age. :D

6. johnny 99

Queens Of The Stone Age are terrific. I can see playing the new Stooges after (or before) Songs For The Deaf with great results! (If you don't know this band, check 'em out - REAL Rock music!)

7. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

also check-
    ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
    ...masterpiece:thumbsup:

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I guess part of the appeal of this new album is the "feel".
    It feels like a Motor City Rock record. I grew up there & got to live thru all the killer bands that defined Detroit as a major music force back in the later 60s-70s.

Iggy's lived all over the world, but it took a new Stooges album to bring him back home (musically speaking) :edthumbs:

9. johnny 99

Good point!
    I'd like to hear some more "love" for this new Stooges disc because I don't think a lot of the people who are condemning it would have been satisfied with anything they did. They can't be expected to recreate past glories, but did they deliver a good Rock album? Damn straight!:righton:

10. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Ron Asheton is playing great. His brother's fine, too. Iggy just doesn't sound "in tune" with the rest of the band. I've been playing it and enjoying it and that's all I can expect this late in the game.

11. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Hi Lazyone, saw both Trail of... and Queen of... live, as well as listened to their output, but those don't speak to me. I have to say if you look at my back catalogue, you can clearly see that beyond 1984, I'm kinda getting a hard time to get in the mood of many bands/records, thought I still kept buying, when I listen to say Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Soundgarden, or Urban Dance Squad now, it just doesn't rock my boat. It's not until 2004 (yes, took 20 years of oblivion), that I feel like bands are getting interesting again. But of course that just says what my musical sensibility is. For others, Pistols, Clash, original Misfits and Stooges might be unlistenable, while they enjoy grunge in all it's 90's incarnations.

12. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

13. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

14. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Spot on :) What a mess everyone makes around him, but he loves it !

15. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Vinyl at Amoeba

I bought a vinyl copy of the new album at Amoeba in LA yesterday and am listening to it now. It does seem to have an overall flatness to it and the bass is certainly not prominent. Iggy's voice seems somewhat unconnected to the rest of the music - a complaint people had with his mix of Raw Power. Still, it's growing on me as I listen. I'll have to listen to it a few times before reaching any conclusions.

16. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Wow, I'm still waiting for my copy from eil, is the vinyl a double ? If it's mastered by the same guy who did the CD at Abbey Road, it's bound not to be spectacular

17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Just picked it up on CD and I suppose too many of you had high expectations from this. There are some great tracks on it and I will also pick up the LP.

The weirdness it is... :thumbsup:

18. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

It is double. 3-sided actually, with the 4 bonus tracks on the first side of the second disc.

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Exactly. I just got my copy. It sounds great! Much ballsier than the cd. You really can hear Iggy's voice and Ron's guitar...

It was mastered at Trutone in New York. By a guy named Carl.

20. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

My copy have shipped from eil today. I'm glad it's not the same mastering as the Abbey Road CD ! However, this vinyl is impossible to get in france, EMI won't sell it...And then they complain about lack of sales...

21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool. I hope you'll be happy with it...:)

22. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Just received my vinyl copy at work today. Will be spinning this tonight. My expectations have been lowered somewhat by the reviews so if its pretty good i will be pleased. it looks nice anyway with the matt black sleeve and silver border - much better than the cd where it just looked uninpired and cheap.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Exactly!

Me and my son listened to it and we both thought the same thing. It wouldn't be bad for a new band's 1st album BUT it does not have the classic Stooges sound.

24. petri

petri New Member

Wow, I also received mine today - double vinyl. The sound quality would be better, but hey, 30 years or so and there will be a remastered version out with a couple of demo songs.

These songs sound better every time I hear them. The bonus tracks are worth getting as well.

Now playing (and I play it loud): I Wanna Be Your Man

25. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Funny, that this new LP just split people apart : you either love it, or don't, no in between. But I suspect many who don't, just gave it a quick listen.

Some albums are like long drinks. You don't gulp them in one go or you might get overload. You just take the time to enjoy the taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.