New JAMES TAYLOR Best Of CD Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

How does this CD sound compared to the older "hits" CDs - Greatest Hits, Classic Songs (Import), etc. I think the Classic Songs CD from 1987 sounds pretty damn good for that era.

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I think it sounds great other than the fact that the MF part of chicken choking mother fu%king blues is cut out of Steamroller Blues. Give me a fu%king break!

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Whoa, really? You just prevented me from buying a bad disc. Thanks.

4. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Just send your dollar to the Rob fund to prevent you from buying bad discs c/o Beatlelennon65 Tulsa Ok.
    Thanks

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That was on websites all over the net from the second it was issued. In the new ICE, it turns out this was done at the artist's request, as JT figured families might be listening to his music together(I would guess he's going by the audiences he sees at concerts). I don't think it's that big a deal, really, since that version has been out on CD before, right? I'm not a major JT fan(I like the Apple and WB stuff much more than the Columbia), so if you guys know anything....

ED:cool:

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I was thinking about picking this up, especially since I own absolutely no James Taylor albums. I figured this disc would be a good start for a casual fan, and an introduction if I wanted to dig deeper in his discography. What would be the ultimate JT introduction?

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

His self-titled debut on Apple, Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide Slim and JT are all excellent albums and well worth picking up, IMO.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Tom Port (HUMOREM) has a bunch of sealed Australian "Sweet Baby James" and "Mudslide Slim" CD's that he sez are the best sounding of all; no processing whatsoever and they are pretty cheap. Give him a buzz or an email and he will give you prices. Not much though.

9. Ed Bishop

That self-titled debut is a beauty(though a certain Tonmeister would have remastered it better, I'm certain)and has the original "Carolina In My Mind" and "Something In The Way She Moves" which were re-recorded for the old JT GH. What's the scoop on the new comp? WB remakes or live versions? Or not there at all? Not that I'd pick it up either way, just curious....

10. stever

stever Senior Member

My wife just picked this one up and is playing it in her car. When I was with her the other day, I was waiting for that MF part to see if she had ever heard it -- I was the one surprised -- by the edit!

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I donno about the Australian copies, but I do have a US CD of Sweet Baby James, and it sounds fabulous....

There IS a UK James Taylor best of that's TONS better than this recent one AFA sound quality and content.

This new GH James Taylor doesn't do anything for me....

12. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Thanks for the tip, Steve.

Mudslide Slim is $9.99 and Sweet Baby James is $8.99.

I also picked up Graham Parker & The Episodes Live From NY for $9.99. It's a gold CD that was never released on aluminum.

Also Blue Plate Specials Live for $1.99. :thumbsup:

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can't beat those prices for unmolested mastering.

14. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I am with Beatlelennon65 on the new JT - sound is darn good. Thumbs up to Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch on their job here. I am only a casual fan and to me it is a suitable sampler; I have no trouble recommending it as such, it is obviously not for the more devoted fan.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I also agree with Beatlemon65 and like the new CD! But I am also keeping the old WB Greatest Hits CD for the uncensored "Steamroller". I also have the Columbia Greatest Hits 2, so until I delve into his WB catalog, the Rhino CD, including a few Columbia titles I have will do me fine.

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The new CD actually sounds great. Clear and clean. The "edited" word at the tail end of Steamroller Blues ruins the song for me, as the whole song builds to that point, and this live version was always my favorite. Since this offending word was never that clear on the original, I am surpised that James asked for the edit.

That being said, I think that they could have done a cleaner edit. It is so abrupt that it stands out. Maybe they could have just doubled "chicken choking" or something else to fit.

I was bummed when I read in ICE that JT requested this himself.

17. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I think you might be thinking of "Classic Songs" (WEA 1987) remastered by Lee Herschberg and it contains both his Warners and Columbia hits. The sound is fabulous and it is still available.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I find that ludicrous! Unless it was James's request? Then so be it...What a joke!

19. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Who sealed them? They sure weren't sealed here in Australia :)

20. Michael

The US distributor?:D ;)

21. Ed Bishop

At the request of the artist.....:sigh:

The Aussie discs can be found sealed and unsealed in New England, just look for 'em. Like many canadian CD pressings, they can be had for around $8-12, average. The trick is to find them when they're around. But a lot of AUS and CAN CD pressings are available, and import HDCD editions of some artists that may not be available in the US.

22. Michael

Come on ED! Get your threads right!...Why are you posting an answer to my post of another subject? Hijacked from the James Taylor Edited Steamroller Blues Song? Whats my post got to do with UNSEALED/SEALED JAMES TAYLOR Cee Dee's? Are you just posting wildly????:laugh:

23. Michael

quote:
    Originally posted by Beatlelennon65
    I think it sounds great other than the fact that the MF part of chicken choking mother fu%king blues is cut out of Steamroller Blues. Give me a fu%king break!

I find that ludicrous! Unless it was James's request? Then so be it...What a joke!

MY above POSTING is my answer to Beatlelennon65 posting...

Why did ED Bishop cut and paste this answer as if it was posted in the sealed/unsealed JAMES TAYLOR thread?
    Enquiring mind wants to know???? LOL!

24. Ed Bishop

Your post is almost as comprehensible as MATRIX RELOADED....I like it a lot, yet can't quite figure it out....right about now, I like that!:laugh: :laugh:

And never, ever deny a man an attempt to hijack a thread, or post wildly....otherwise, we're both doomed!!:laugh: ;) :D

25. Michael

:confused: Whatever...:laugh: Ibity Dibity Canal Boat...;):p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.