New Jennifer Warnes album "Another Time, Another Place", May 25, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Comet01 likes this.
  2. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

3. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

The bonus track is not placed at the end on the SACD.

It's track 9 and it's called There's A River. SACD has 11 tracks.

Someone on ebay posted a photo of the back cover which shows the tracklist.

4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Bought this album on hybrid SACD.

Sound:
    Good, but not great. Clean distortion free digital recording. But, there are some reduced dynamic range/limiting. This was confirmed by Dynamic Range Database.

Music:
    I wish I could been more positive. But this is pretty boring to say. It’s like Mark Knopler in the last years; nice, cosy music...but boring.
    I pulled down my Classic Records Gold CD of Famous blue raincoat and played it. It was a much more refreshing musical experience, even I had this album since 1995.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Comet01 likes this.
  5. I absolutely love her voice & her recording work but when I saw the DR squish I had to pass. :(

I've decided:
    1. I will not buy any post 2000 recording not listed on DR Database.
    2. I do not enjoy tracks any lower than a 10 so that's my cut-off DR number.

Tough choices for me!

mozz and AlmanacZinger like this.
  6. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I have to say when I played it recently on a trip in my old BMW with its DSP system, it was more entertaining since I wasn't being as critical as I was at home on a real system. Still not interested enough to bite on a $30 SACD.

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jennifer has just posted on her website that she is in Texas 'working on a new project' to be announced before the end of the year. Not clear if this is a new album or some kind of archival project but I guess we will find out in due course. Either way it's good to know that there's something in the works, and so soon after the last album.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

At this point, anything less than a decade would be considered amazingly fast.

Classicrock, Steve356, Jrr and 5 others like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

I believe she mentioned in one of the interviews for this album that more new music wouldn’t be so far behind — but it’s Jennifer, so I only believe it when it’s in my hands!

Planbee likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I would love to see her return to form...I did not like her last album at all, but have been a huge fan up until then. I get it that she’s getting along in age, like the rest of us, so maybe she needs to calm it down a bit but I sure loved her more adventurous material. Would nice to see her go out on a higher note...no pun intended!

Comet01 likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Calm it down a bit?

1987: Famous Blue Raincoat
    1992: The Hunter
    2001: The Well
    2018: Another Time, Another Place

I don't think she's exactly been winded by her previous pace.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Didn’t mean the pace of her album releases, which is indeed so slow it would destroy the career of someone less talented. I just found the material from the last album so sleepy and uninspiring I didn’t even buy it, and I do own all her other albums on vinyl.

13. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Great drop!

14. BlueJay

Something's brewing - a newly posted picture of Jennifer 'in the studio with Abraham Laboriel':

[​IMG]

15. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Since this thread is still open, could anyone point me in the right direction for the best-sounding version of The Hunter - CD or vinyl record. I had this on CD (or was it lpt?) a gazillion years ago and somehow I don't have it anymore so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

16. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Have not heard the LP. As far as CD, I prefer the original over the later gold CD remaster, but both are good. The latter is just a bit compressed, although some might prefer the brighter aspect. Same with the FBR CDs,

17. WhatDoIKnow

Thanks @bgiliberti :righton:
    The original TH is quite cheap. No luck with FBR, but I'll keep digging.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Hunter Gold CD and SACD are the two versions I have. Both sound great IMO.

Jennifer Warnes – The Hunter (2010, 24kt Gold CD, CD)
    Jennifer Warnes – The Hunter (2015, SACD)

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. BlueJay

Good to see some activity on this thread again. The post on Jennifer's website about a 'new project' which I mentioned a while back has since been removed. I guess the project has been delayed (well there's a surprise). Nevertheless, still hoping for some news on that front soon.

Jrr likes this.
  20. pghmusiclover

That seems to be pretty typical for Jennifer! Oh well, hopefully it won't be quite as along a wait between projects...

Jrr likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Love my Impex copy on vinyl.

Munger74 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Did you guys like her last album? By the time it was issued on vinyl, many months after the cd, I had sampled it and was very unimpressed so I passed. I hope they smarten up this time and if a new project is released, get the vinyl out close to the cd. I bet that cost them a lot of sales as interest likely waned by then.

23. WhatDoIKnow

Thanks for the input @Jrr, @2channelforever (love the nickname!) and @Bill Mac!
    I remember spending hours and hours with that particular album and I guess it's really cool that there are so many choices, and all "audiophile" to boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.