New KEF R Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

As a current R500 owner, I'm interested to hear how much different these sound. Figured these would be coming out soon, considering the nice discounts on the 2011 models, which prompted me to buy. I'll probability buy a set in another seven years, when they're making room for the 2025 R series, lol.

Nice description of the changes and pictures at link below.

KEF readies 2018 R-Series | Darko.Audio

[​IMG]

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

3. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm probably going to change/upgrade speakers next years so this is a welcome new.

4. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I wonder how they compare with other similarly priced speakers, particularly B&W 700 series.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Would love to get my ears on the bookies.

Those and the Elac Adantes could make my short list for my next upgrade.

6. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

$2k stand mounts are a hot category.

One interesting design decision is a 400 hz crossover from LF to mids. I thought many manufacturers used a lower point in 3 way speakers.

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Interesting, thanks for posting! it looks like the smaller R is trying to compete with the ELAC look, which says something.
    Technology aside their sound quality will be determined mainly by their "voicing" as it appeals to 2-channel audiophiles. I have found the current R series voiced too darkly and recessed with the exception of the R500 which do sound better but slightly metallic compared to more natural sounding speakers.
    Voice one of their towers like the LS50s (think LS50 sound qualty with bigger slam and sound) and they will have a winner.

Lebowski and Ivand like this.
  8. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Hmmmmm, that walnut color is really interesting. I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

[​IMG]

I wish they made a version with a single rose-gold driver, like in the Reference series:

[​IMG]

9. GoldprintAudio

Lebowski, DyersEve726 and Erik Tracy like this.
  10. DyersEve726

WOW. This is a bold conclusion.

"Arguably the most complete standmounters available at this price, the KEF R3s are exceptional performers"

Also, this is my first time seeing the new speaker grills. I'm loving this look over the old fabric. It gives them a little character with the grills on.

[​IMG]

bhazen, james and GoldprintAudio like this.
  11. GoldprintAudio

I like the new grills as well.... Looking forward to getting my first demo pair of these in stock.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Something I'd be curious about in a new Kef R series is taming the boom. Many people I've talked to about these previous incarnation of these speakers agree they kind of sound worse vs. better as you go up the line as the increased woofer size leads to increase in bass bloat.

Ivand likes this.
  13. DyersEve726

I had to use both port plugs on my R500's even with the smallest woofers. The bloat was definitely a problem without them. They seem pretty flat with the plugs, but I have them crossed over at 80hz with my subs. I might be complaining more if they were handling below 80hz.

14. avanti1960

the walnut looks like the picture is faded even though it isn't. might look OK in person though but i would probably take the black finish.
    if they sound as good as the marketing propaganda says- especially if they cleaned up the metallic diffraction- these could be worthy of a serious look. the R11 would be a serious thunder humper with the right amplification.

15. GoldprintAudio

I almost think the color of the drivers sort of makes the finish of the wood look different. My first pair of R3's will be walnut, so I'll try to take a few pics and post them here once they arrive. I like the walnut, but do agree the Black look great.

james, avanti1960 and Lebowski like this.
  16. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I wonder how they compare vs the Blades.

17. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Any images or first-hand impressions to share yet?

18. GoldprintAudio

My first pair is not here quite yet....they should start shipping some of these out this month.

5-String likes this.
  19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

More expensive than the LS50.... and I'm guessing a lot better as well.

20. GoldprintAudio

My demo R3's arrived today! Have them hooked up to start putting break in hours on them.

Build quality is impressive --- the shipping box weighs 60lbs!

Erik Tracy and Ivand like this.
  21. avanti1960

seriously looking at the R7s. i want a bigger sound.

blind_melon1 and GoldprintAudio like this.
  22. mds

mds Forum Resident

I had a listen to KEF R5 at my dealer. They were just out of the box that morning. The pair sounded and looked beautiful in the piano black finish. The R7 & R3 were on either side of them and each was a wonder to behold. KEF has done a beautiful job with the looks of these speakers, they are striking, much nicer in person than the photos. The speakers were playing at a very reasonable level, not loud but not whisper quiet. We were having a casual conversation over the music but just kept having to stop talking to enjoy the music. What we heard was a full and detailed sound that was smooth and seductive. Based on what I saw and heard I think KEF has a winning lineup with this new R-series. If you did not look too closely you would believe you were listening to the Reference line.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pics???

Please???

:D

Snoops likes this.
  24. GoldprintAudio

I'll try and get a few today posted up..... I ended up going with Piano Black as the new Walnut color is selling faster then they can make them!

Lebowski likes this.
  25. DyersEve726

Any impressions yet? If those were in my house, I'd already have like 16 hours of time on them, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.