New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

They should have never messed with the mix and content of the original album. It's the best mix and patch job by far. Too bad they didn't just add the new material with the same old mix.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Stereo mixes sound virtually nothing like the literal sound of a concert. All things equal, a 5.1 mix can certainly closer to the literal sound of a concert than a stereo mix.

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Anyone else notice how the drums I rock n roll sound different ? Specifically when you come up to 1 minute, the bass drum is totally different compared to the original 87 CD.

4. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Well, being that it's a remix, I would expect it to be somewhat different.

5. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Yes, but was that "new" material mixed back in the day? Or did Jimmy just do mixes for the songs that were going on the album?

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Really so the 2007 is the same ? I never noticed till now haha. It's only good for the bonus tracks anyway.

7. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Yes. This reissue is same mix as the 2007.

ACK! and Opeth like this.
  8. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I think the only new mix is the 5.1 on the blu ray audio disc.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are no new mixes on the BD-A. The 5.1 mix is the same as the 2007 Blu-ray.

10. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

So if one has the 2007 blu ray, is there any need for the new blu ray audio? I would be getting it for the 5.1 mix. I’ve been on the fence. For some reason, I assumed the soundtrack had longer performances than the movie.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Same mix. Different mastering, I think.

PBo likes this.
  12. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

One reason is that "Heartbreaker" is intercut with footage of the bank hold up in the movie, whereas on the Blu ray audio, you hear the song with no interruptions.

PBo likes this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Wow rocking my Bluray now and it’s very nice indeed. Packaging is beautiful as well.

laf848, Jam757 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I finally broke down since it's under $20 for the Blu-ray on Amazon with free shipping. The price is $20.63 for me at the moment before an additional 5% off in a checkbox below the price. Of course, who knows what the price will be in five minutes!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTV2PGK

This is audio only except for the four bonus tracks, right? They really made this release unnecessarily confusing.

JeffMo likes this.
  15. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Count me in too, At that price with 5% is good. Now I have the latest BD, CD, and BD-audio, now what to do with that HD-DVD disk :crazy:

jamesc likes this.
  16. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Correct

jamesc likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

With the Amazon sale I got it for $15 tax and shipping included. Can’t beat that and I can’t stop playing it, great sounding release.

jamesc likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The 2007 Blu Ray is Dolby 5.1 while the new remastered one is DTS-Master 5.1 so I’m assuming it sounds better. I just watched a good portion of the 2007 film and found the audio to be slightly underwhelming. Anyone have both that could compare the two?

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 2007 blu-ray had Dolby TrueHD. All things equal, there’s no difference between Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA-HD in terms of fidelity.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, must just be the source. Honestly it sounds quite nice but maybe I’m just used to the 2 channel audio. I guess the Blu Ray audio is slightly interesting if you just want to listen and not watch the film.

21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It depends how it is all done I suppose, a lot of 5.1 mixes I have of albums have things that unless it is surround or quadrophonic at the show like a Steven Wilson show, stereo coming out at you right in front of you to me replicates the concert vibe more

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Stereo sounds less like almost all live amplified music than mono or 5.1. Live amplified music is usually a simple mono mix and contains lots of hall reverberation and audience noise coming from all directions. Stereo does none of that. Most stereo live albums are multi-mic’ed live performances made to sound as much like a studio recording as possible without losing any of the live “feel”. But they sound nothing like an attending an actual live amplified concert.

5.1 can get closer to the sound and feel of an actual live concert. But if someone mixed a live performance in 5.1 so it actually sounded like a live concert, most people would actually hate it.

23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although I agree in the sense of reverb and audience from all directions I still hold my belief you can get close to a live experience with stereo as well - for example if I am standing in the middle of the LA Sports Arena seeing Pearl Jam, which I did a few years ago you have guitar left, guitar right, drums and vocals center which is what was reflected in the soundboard bootlegs they release of said shows, and I found it to be very similar to the soundstage of the show itself.

I disagree that mono is the name of the game in a live environment! As a performer too, there is usually a stereo setup in mind, especially if you have more than one guitar.

Theoretically you can get closer with 5.1, but yeah like you said nobody mixes it like that so in actuality in practice I found the stereo soundtage to be more accurate to me based on my years as a concert goer and performer just in general

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Very few shows are mixed in stereo as you describe (and I actually think you were either imagining what you heard or were simply close enough to hear stage guitar amp volume).

I mean...who would want seats on the left side of the arena for, say, the Stones or Van Halen or the right side for, say, U2?

Lots of stereo albums sound great, but I can’t think of a single one that even remotely made me feel like “I was there”. But listening to intro to Running On Empty in 5.1 gets me eerily close...

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the 2007 and 2018 blu ray? I’ve read a few people say it sounds better and am curious as DTS-Master sounds fantastic on my system. I understand they should sound about the same as they are both lossless but I think so usually prefer DTS. It’s also been “remastered” which May or may not mean something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.