New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Any difference you hear between DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are because your system isn’t handling one as well as the other. Given the same imput, the produce the exact same digital output.

I haven’t compared the 2007 and 2018 directly. They both sound like crap to me.

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

How does it sound on your 5.1 system?

3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The vinyl sounds great (original and reissued) and I definitely wouldn’t say the blu ray I have sounds like crap. Hell, I might just pick this up for the audio only playback and the DTS.

johnny q likes this.
  4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well based off the glowing 5 star reviews on Amazon quoting “jaw dropping” audio quality and “by far the best sounding version to date” I’ve ordered this. I will let you know what I think.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The remix sounds like crap to me - vinyl or digital. No nuance whatsoever. But it is loud.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

How is it James?

7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I hope to check it out this week! I really enjoyed the HTWWW reissue though.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The DEFAULT audio on the 2007 Blu-ray is lossy Dolby Digital 5.1, the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 is audio track 2. Kind of stupid that they set it up that way.

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Hmmm, I think I checked before I watched it but possibly I didn’t change it. I do remember it sounded better that last time I watched it. Honestly, I’m perfectly happy if I never see the movie again. It’s the audio that I NEED!

Bossfan likes this.
  10. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Then you should be happy with the 2018 Blu-ray audio, same mix as the 2007 Blu-ray but different mastering, an improvement IMO. Also, the 2018 has lossless 5.1 and 2.0 HD audio for the bonus tracks, Celebration Day, OTHAFA, Misty Mountain Hop and The Ocean, the 2007 had lossy audio only for these tracks, no Dolby TrueHD. This alone makes the 2018 worth the purchase.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So for those of us that re-bought the 2018 2-cd set for the better mastering:

Which packaging did you keep for the two discs? The old package was thicker and more substantial, but the new package has nice embossed covers and a new overhead band photo in the gatefold.

12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm keeping the 2018 set.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm thinking of putting my 2018 discs inside the 2007 packaging.

14. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Not a bad idea if you prefer the "fatter" packaging. I'm a little more into the 2018 as it fits better alongside all the other Zep reissues.

yesstiles likes this.
  15. Forget Yourself

Forget Yourself Forum Resident

I'm waiting to see if the price of the vinyl will come down. It's down to $92 on Amazon from about $125 in September. Could it come down more? I have a Columbia House vinyl copy, which actually sounds pretty good to me. I do like the original version of No Quarter, so I will keep it. Jut trying to decide when to pull the trigger on the 2018 vinyl, and how much better it is...
    I was recently in NYC and saw the Rock Guitar exhibit at the Met. I didn't even know it was there. Jimmy's number 1 Les Paul was there (among other awe-inspiring guitars). Pure Magic.

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

For those with the original CD of TSRTS, does your copy have weird phasing sounds on the cymbals during the heavy section of No Quarter?

I just got the original double CD in the mail today, and was surprised to hear No Quarter sound like that? There are only two sections of the song that sound like that. Hard to describe but it definitely sounds off. Either tape damage or something else, but the cymbals sounds wonky.

Funny, I don’t remember my original vinyl having that issue.

17. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

The phasing is an intential applied effect from the soundboard. Just like the echo effects on plants vocals

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

I get that, but it sounds jarbled or like a tape defect. If you listen with headphones you really hear it. Almost like a bad tape splice, and it’s the only part of the original CD that sounds like that.

The sound changes from high EQ and then low again. It just sounds...odd.

19. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

The original DVD was always a mixed bag so I wouldn't think the CD would be any different. I remember thinking the HD-DVD was a genuine improvement but still not exactly perfect. I think it and Bladerunner might be the only reason my HD-DVD player still exists.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:confused: That’s what phasing sounds like...

21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Your original vinyl definitely has it. It is intentional, as Jerry C. said a few posts up.

I never had the '80s CD, maybe it's more prominent to some ears.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The UK LP sounds very, very similar to the original CD. My US copy is pretty beat up so I haven’t listened to it in years, but I doubt it’s significantly different.

What you’re hearing is probably just the intentional phasing effect. But TSRTS is a franken-concert, so it could be an edit I suppose.

To the OP, at what point time-wise do you hear it?

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

I love the bluray audio remaster, but for the original mix, I wanted to pick up the original CD, especially to hear the original No Quarter.

Bossfan and 808_state like this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Nevermind, I'm not explaining it right LOL

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Two different sections:

2:57 - The highhat sounds really weird, like damaged tape or something, even the vocals, sounds weird. Could it be damaged tape?
    10:43 - This is worse, much distortion, sounds off

Anyone notice this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.