New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

The amp does not sound bad in fact it sounds good i was just expecting it to kill the 518, maybe with some tube rolling it will. I`m lucky to have a good dealer in Venice Audio allowing me to compare them side by side in my own home.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

would any amp *kill* the 518?

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It could be that you prefer the sound of the types of tubes used in the 518IA. The types chosen for the 508IA might have a different flavor you're not immediately bowled over by.

4. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

True, but i suspect there might be some hidden magic that can be extracted from the 508 if i bought it and did some tube rolling.

5. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

True, it`s one heck of an amp.

6. Strat-Mangler

Of course! It'd be interesting to hear how a maxed-out 518IA would compare to a maxed-out 508IA.

7. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

I know, that`s what`s got me going.

8. Strat-Mangler

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're looking for more volume or have very inefficient speakers you'd like to drive better.

My 2 cents. :)

9. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

I have Tekton DI`s so very efficient they do not need much to drive them. My 518ia has been flawless the last 5 years i just want to try something a little different but stay in the LM family.

10. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

I've heard them both. Never lived with the 518 but have listened extensively to it. I've never preferred its sound to the 508ia which is just another way of saying that I prefer the sound of the 508 over the 518.

11. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Having them both side by side i can say that they both give a different presentation with everything else being equal.

12. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Thanks to Pete of Venice Audio i`m the owner of a 508ia and i`m very excited.

13. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Congratulation!

Now you have lot of room for further improvement.

You do not need to try them all at once and do one thing at a time when you can afford.

Summary of improvement on LM 508 on the order of effect.

1. Psavne Acme 805 (740$ well worth it)
    2. 1944 Sylvania vt231 (125$ fantastic value)
    I bought one pair at 100$ from Ebay dealer and so much I like it, I ordered one more pair from the same dealer at 125$ as backup.
    He does not have them any more.
    Two pairs sound almost alike with 125$ pair very slight more details.
    3. NOS WE 300B ( tight bass, wider soundstage, fantastic details but expensive and hard to get) thus Acme 300B is a realistic choice.
    4. NOS Mullard ECC35(125$ from Ebay well worth it)
    5. Synergistic Blue power cable( make sound faster and transparent)
    6. Isoacoustics Orea Bordeaux ( subtle effect, more focused sound)
    7. Synergistic Blue fuse( make sound more refined , subtle effect)

SandAndGlass and RH67 like this.
  14. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Thank you, this is helpful!!

thomaskong likes this.
  15. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I heard the 805ia and the 845ia in the same shop for a while and could not really detect a big difference on efficient speakers with stock tubes. Having said that, I went with the 805ia and I can't imagine ever selling it. It tube rolls nicely and you can really hear the difference in performance after you do. I prefer my tube rolled 805ia to all other amps that I have personally heard so far.

IGD Positive likes this.
  16. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I would suggest reading through this thread. Some changes are more impactful than others and there are also some that make a marginal lateral change at best. It is fun to experiment, though!

Strat-Mangler and IGD Positive like this.
  17. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Spent most of the day going thru this thread, learned a lot. I`m sure i will get the 508ia to where i want it.

freesole likes this.
  18. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

You will be rewarded. This amp is a refined beast, especially when you have it dialed in right.

thomaskong and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. bugo403

bugo403 Well-Known Member

i got there just recently. it was not a cheap journey but it was worth it.

thomaskong likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Elaborate for his sake ;)

21. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

I just love SET amps. During the last four decades i have wandered off now and then but nothing compares i even tried that new amp that`s a fad now a couple years ago with room correction but after six months i had had enough luckily i held on to the 518ia and once back into the system musical enjoyment returned. Now i have two great reference quality SET amps, the 518ia and the 508ia.

freesole and dianos like this.
  22. bugo403

i wish i could compare the 219ia with my 508ia in my system, although i doubt if the 219ia would drive my Triangle speakers properly.

23. bugo403

In general, i was trying to reduce brightness and at the same time improve the performance. my beloved Triangle speakers are a little sensitive in that area but still i feel they are a great match for the 508ia. the LM 24CD was a welcome upgrade but i decided it's the amp that will need to adjust.
    although playing with tubes was not cheap it was an educating, interesting and fun. i was mostly rotating 6sn7's but i always felt i'm circling around and not quite getting there.
    now i've setteled down with:
    acme 805 (which is almost a must).
    royal princess 300b (was a bet after reading about them, had a good deal, happy with them).
    standard 33s29b (sometimes i go back and forth with the mullard ecc35, both superb but i like the standard slightly more).
    my last change that closed and completed the sound perfectly for my system and tastes was the tung-sol vt-231 (superb, warm with almost no compromises).
    finally, last week i got the Audiomagic beeswax shd fuses and started break in, 125 hours they say (it's like the sound breathes better, more engaging and with clearer details).
    NFB 4 and that's it.

very happy with the result

24. Strat-Mangler

Why not? Your speakers have a 92db sensitivity rating. My Harbeths are at 86db and only need a small dose of what the 508IA can dish out to sound full at 80db. They should do fine. Try it.

Isn't that the same as an RCA 5691 red base?

AKA as 6SN7GT with round plates... which I also have.

bugo403 likes this.
  25. bugo403

You right, they are fairly easy to drive but also their impedance is unstable and can go down to 3.2. it is recommended to use an amp with a good current to control them. this is more obvious when dynamic material is being played. i will need to buy a 219ia in order to try it:D.

i also have the RCA red base, same design but the standard is physically heavier and slightly better sounding with a bit larger body, details and soundstage.

I must say i also really like these sylvania 6sn7wgt brown base
    NOS Tube Store: SYLVANIA JAN CHS 6SN7WGT 1950's
    the tung sol suite my system better but if i had a more balanced or warmer speakers, i would probably stay with the sylvania. they are open and i like the drive and energy they bring.