New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

If you don't have a choice then I can't blame you. As for my experience, I was able to bring my speakers to his house/showroom and listen to my speakers with the LM integrated before I bought anything.

And as far as a Paypal guarantee...I'd rather not have to rely on that. Knowing my luck, it would be the one situation where they sided with the seller rather than the buyer.

2. divertiti

divertiti Active Member

There is certainly value in auditioning with your own gear before buying, except for 90% of the people out there, that's not possible. In that case, the financial value proposition of getting the same gear for half the money is quite undeniable.

3. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hello guys,
    I'm burning some relatively new 300B valves con my LM508, the Shuguang WE Replica, wich sound pretty nice, even they are not fully burned.

During this process the Bias were not stable, sometimes above 120 and other below, and I believe this valves should take long to burn, as the most similar ones, the Shuguang 300B Black Treasures, are famous to take about 300 hs to reach their potential.

Is it normal that during 300B valves burning process bias should vary?

4. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

I think a 'little' variation is normal.

How steady is your house voltage? For every volt your house voltage goes up or down, your bias will go up/down with it to some degree.

5. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Thank you for the answer.

Well I dont really know how stable is the voltage, but I have a dedicated AC line for my system, a Holton DC Blocker and a Bada LB-5600 AC Filter, so I guess AC shouldnt be the problem.

I dont remember exactly, but I guess bias was once around 130V and another time about 110V. Both channels measured similar, but no exactly the same.

I will follow it more often. I believe it must be valve burning related.

By the way, both times bias were measured after about 2 or 3 hs of use.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  6. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Pedro, did the bias stabilize?

7. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

If voltage is not stable in your area, it may be a good idea to get AVR to protect your amplifier.

8. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hello @jmpsmash

Thanks for asking.

I've been on vacations, but last saturday I listened to music and after a couple of hours I measured bias and no, they were again high, about 130V.

I adjusted them and I will measure again on my next listening setions. I believe (hope?) that the problem are the Shuguang 300B WE Réplica still in burning process.

I will post my findings so other LM-508IA can learn from it.

jmpsmash likes this.
  9. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Thank you Thomas for the suggestion.

I think its pretty stable and I have an AC dedicated line, then a DC Blocker and soon the AudioQuest Niagara 1200, so I guess I must be covered.

10. IGD Positive

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

IGD Positive likes this.
  12. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

For those that have already rolled 6SL7 - does anyone know a good source for the Mullard ECC35? Are there reputable shops online or do you just chase fleaBay listings?

From some quick reading it sounds like the older version, tall with a brown base, is better than the newer black base version? Of course, only finding one seller of the brown base for $250/tube ... black base is more plentiful and cheaper ... thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd be surprised if anyone would chime in owning this amp and having spent $500 just to see if there's a difference between the two. I've personally looked last year and couldn't find anything anyway.

In the end, it's a great tube regardless of which version you get and it does have a transformative effect on the sound. Best to get from a reputable dealer who guarantees the tube measures as true NOS.

14. IGD Positive

I've been looking for one too and I can't find anything that I would trust 100% at this point. All the standard "legit" online dealers don't have any in stock at this point. And eBay scares me for tubes but some people seem to have good success.

15. Strat-Mangler

I've repeated this about a million times but I'll do it again. If you pay by PayPal, you can return the tube and are 100% protected. Why else do you believe people routinely buy multi-hundred dollar tubes on eBay?

Here's one place that's sold tubes for 13 years. One left at $200.

ECC35 Mullard tube - PREAMP / DRIVER tubes - Tubes-Store.com

Here's another one. They also sell their inventory on eBay but if you prefer to buy directly from them, here is another listing. They also accept PayPal which I'd recommend using.

ECC35 Mullard Brown Base Amplitrex AT1000 #2612001 - Audio Tubes Shop

thomaskong, Chris Amott and Kray like this.
  16. IGD Positive

You've made it pretty clear that you don't mind dealing with the hassle of an eBay seller when it comes to this sort of thing. I'd rather have one of these dedicated tube shops so I could ask questions and speak to someone directly if I have any issues. I know that I'm covered for the money if I use Paypal but having someone to interact with gives me peace of mind.

Thank you for these links.

17. Strat-Mangler

I can interact easily by email, only difference being it'll take slightly longer to get a reply. As for returning a product, it takes but a couple of clicks of the mouse so not a hassle in my view.

Let us know what you think of the Mullard. :)

18. thomaskong

Thanks for the latter link.

I got my brown base Mullard at 125$ from Ebay 2018.

I ordered one more at 140$ as reserve.

19. thomaskong

Oops it is going to be shipped from India.

I will report how long it will take to get to Washington State.

Of course I will also report whether it will sound same as the one that I got from Ebay.

It will be nice if new one sounds better than old one by chance.;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. Chris Amott

Funny ... I ordered that exact same item last night. It was updated with a DHL tracking # earlier this am. Apparently he has more than 1 ECC35 with serial #2612001 that is being sent to WA state ... ;)

21. thomaskong

He specified that more than one tube could be ordered.

Thus no surprise.

22. Chris Amott

Just in case anyone has not seen this, here's a list of all the stock tubes and fuses in the LM amps. Set up

LM-805IA
    6SL7 1 Shuguang Branded as Line Magnetic
    6SN7EH 2 Electro-Harmonix
    300B 2 Shuguang Branded as Line Magnetic
    805 2 Psvane Branded as Line Magnetic

Interestingly my stock Shuguang 6SL7 is not branded as Line Magnetic but is a rather worn looking Shuguang 6N9P equivalent. All other tubes exactly match the above. I wonder which generic Psvane 805 tube is being branded as Line Magnetic? I assume it's one of their off-the-shelf tubes.

[Edit: 95% sure that the rebranded 805 tubes are in fact Psvane 805A's that run around $130/pair (Not 805A-T that some here have tried though they seem awfully similiar) ]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Very cool find. Thanks a lot for posting it. :righton:

24. IGD Positive

Did both of you get tracking information for that tube?

25. Chris Amott

I did. It left India (New Delhi) 48 hrs ago ... I am assuming it's somewhere in customs/entry to the US. Did you order it as well?