New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

It is still too early to say anything definitive. I did say earlier that CDs sound better than I have ever heard. I stand by that.

SACD playback is taking a long time to burn in, though. Imaging is a bit blurry and has upper mid/treble glare. It's getting better, but it's still not there yet.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

I spent some time today, briefly attempting to see which redbook filter sounds closest to the sound I get from SACD (on hybrid discs.) I think Filter 2 sounds closer to the sound of SACD.

I also noticed, when doing the above, that SACD output seems to be a bit louder than CD (on hybrid discs.) Anyone else notice this?

bruce2 likes this.
  3. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I've rarely compared the cd layer and sacd layer but I don't know if this difference would be consistent between all hybrid discs, for instance.

Not sure if you have the same settings on the KI as I have on the SA-10 but these are my favorite settings as of 2020/2021 and I can't see myself changing.
    Filter 2
    Dither OFF
    Noise Shaping 3rd 1
    Phones OFF
    HP Amp Low
    (unless you use headphones with regard to the last 2)
    Digital Outputs OFF

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I checked a half dozen of them and found that each was a touch louder on the SACD layer.

Thanks for mentioning this! I put some comments below.

Filter 2 - agreed
    Dither (don't have this)
    Noise shaping (don't have this)
    Phones OFF - agreed (except when I am using them)
    HP Amp - I use this on High, because my Senneheiser HD580 need a lot of power - Is there any loss of quality by using High vs. Low?
    Digital Outputs - OFF (Just shut it off, didn't know about this one, so thanks!) :wave:
    I also leave display off all the time

5. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

The HP Amp setting suggestion was from another user that claimed it did make a difference. I questioned why if the Phones are set to OFF but the other user wrote that it did. I didn't feel like testing it so I set it to LOW and that was good enough for me. I could rationalize that a feature using less power might influence the noise so I left it that way.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Sure, but I was asking about if High gives any worse sound (than low) when actually using the headphone jack to listen to headphones.

7. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

What makes you think that?

8. George P

George P Notable Member

9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

It really depends on the disc as to which filter I use. Just when I think I prefer one over the other a disc comes along and proves me wrong.

10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Because it looks like plastic on the inside.

11. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Quick pics of the SA-10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I haven't used headphones, sorry

George P likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing about the redbook sounding rolled off for about a month. Was the change gradual over that month or did it occur suddenly?

jusbe likes this.
  14. azideam

azideam Forum Resident

In my case, it was rather suddenly. YMMV though.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks so much for sharing this. I had been using filter 2 exclusively for weeks now, for each time I chose filter one I felt like I was losing something, I felt like filter 2 was more open. I agree that the filter 1 has more midrange subtlety. I just wish the bass on filter 1 was like filter 2. On filter one, the bass is smoothed out a bit and on 2 it seems a bit more dynamic. The more I listen to filter 1, the more I understand why it is the default. The music sounds fuller, smoother, more analog with filter 1. Still it is cool to have both options, it's like having two CD players in one.

How are you doing with this? I feel like I am getting the hang of it. I purposely load the disc a bit off center and then gently slide it onto the tray until I hear the disc make a snap sound, indicating it has fallen into place. Out of hundreds of CDs I have loaded, only 2-3 got misloaded, and even then it didn't cause any internal issues.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    NorthNY Mark likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you (or anyone else) find the filters to burn in (change their sound at all) over time?

17. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Yep, it sounds like we are hearing the same characteristics in the different filters, and I really enjoy having the two choices! As for the tray, I think I have been doing what you describe more often (that is, starting off-center so I can feel it click into place). My initial instincts were to avoid that for fear of scratching the CDs, but I'm getting used to it.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Tonight I noticed something interesting. I was listening to Ticks and Leeches by Tool and the vocals didn't sound right. There's a lot of effects on the vocal, some of which I suspect project back into the mix, for on Filter 2 the image was way off, blurred. Then I switched to Filter 2 and the image snapped into place. I think I will try Filter 1 more over the weekend.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

That's really interesting! I'm not sure I've noticed anything quite that dramatic, but I have definitely had the sense that filter 1 seems to offer more image depth and layering than filter 2. That is the main reason I usually stick with filter 1.

George P likes this.
  20. Hawkeye20

Hawkeye20 Well-Known Member

The new Marantz SA12SE is very similar to the Ruby, but with less copper (whereas the SACD-30 uses some different components).

Has anyone been able to compare the SA12SE to the Ruby ?

(The Ruby is now sold out in leafy England).

21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have been enjoying the 100 year anniversary universal player Denon had issued as part of their celebration. I wouldn’t describe it as sterile or overly analytical. I think it is pretty true to the recording. I haven’t heard the CD/SACD player however from that series nor have I heard any of the 110 releases.

bruce2 likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

SA-KI Ruby owners - do you ever find the sound to be too smooth, too polite, or lacking focus?

23. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Smooth maybe, but not polite or lacking focus. It definitely sounds different than most digital.

24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Speaking of smooth: my ( now vintage) Sony CDP-XA7ES has the most analog presentation I have ever heard by a CD player. I bought this player when it was newly issued at discount by an internet commercial seller -without ever having heard one. It is a wonderful unit built like a tank. Cross fingers it doesn’t break.

25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I know you have a few Pixies in your collection, how are they fairing with it?
    For energy, I usually go to old EBM (Front 242/Nitzer Ebb) for testing.
    New Order's -Blue Monday is a good test track as well.

George P likes this.