New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

And via the 5400's HDMI output you can play the multi-channel layer of hybrid SACDs from an AVR or pre/pro with HDMI input. The multi-channel feature brings breadth and depth to SACD absent in stereo. Now, some interesting news. SACD is coming around again. Here's what's happening: Many Sony BD Players being purchased today play multi-channel SACDs outputting from HDMI so folks buying one of these players for BD entertainment now can also enjoy multi-channel SACD music. This has created a surge of interest in multi-channel SACDs and thus record producers are now releasing new music on hybrid SACD and Amazon is marketing it. Just yesterday I went to Amazon's CD and Vinyl site, finding many new 2017 and 2018 multi-channel SACDs. I'm excited about this SACD second coming because multi-channel music is just so compelling. It has spoiled me for sure. At any rate, you might want to plug in you HDMI output to your AVR and take a multi-channel SACD for a spin.

2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm not sure SACD sounds "better" in multi channel (especially when looking at the same budget for a stereo vs multi channel system) and I'm not sure it's having a second coming? However, more to the point, the Marantz player in question is stereo only so I'm not sure of the relevance of this post in this thread?

Anyway, when are we going to get some photo's of this player and reviews (as opposed to first impressions)?

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Agreed, on all points. :righton:

bradleyc and F1nut like this.
  4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Two channel SACD played back on quality two channel gear sounds better than multi-channel SACD played back through an AVR.

5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Hmm, on my magnificent system multi-channel sounds better, a lot better, more breadth and depth. But then again I have a really magnificent system.

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

My post would not be relevant to you because it was directed to the contributor who has recently purchased a Sony 5400. Also, not being sure of multi-channel sounding better suggests you might want to experience the concept. At any rate, I did not say better, I said multi-channel has breadth and depth absent in stereo. I also said that its compelling. And, multi-channel SACD having a second coming is indeed fact, proven by 2018 releases.

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

We wouldn't know as you haven't filled in your profile :D!
    Would suggest, to me, that you feel multi channel is better?
    What are these releases. upon googling "SACD sales rise" I can't find anything suggesting a resurgence? Audio Fidelity flirted with multi channel and.... well.... this resurgence didn't happen for them. If I knew of these new titles I might well purchase some!
    I have! Oppo 205. Arcam AVR300 and Dali Ikon 7/sub/Vokal 2/on wall speakers (7.1). Now I think surround is fun but I don't feel the music is more compelling or has more breadth and depth. On every SACD/DVD-A/Blu Ray Audio my stereo set up sounds better.
    That's as maybe but we're way off topic talking about HDMI and multi channel in the thread regarding a, high quality, stereo SACD/CD player that doesn't have HDMI and, I would suggest, is unlikely to be partnered with an AVR/multi channel system.

I'm glad you like your set up, that multi channel "does it" for you and I'm not trying to pick a fight but none of the above is really relevant to the Marantz SA-KI Ruby player (the title and reason for this thread) which I would quite like to read about!

saturdayboy, F1nut, PATB and 3 others like this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good for you.

Guss2, Dave, Dan Steele and 2 others like this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

OK, here's my System: Sony DVP-S9000ES for stereo SACD and OPPO UDP-205 for multi-channel SACD.[​IMG]

10. Metralla

Definitely different. I have a minimalist approach

Dave, bruce2 and F1nut like this.
  11. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

Wow, that's a lot of black boxes. I bet your Equalizer helps tame the hard surface/unusual shape of your room.

I've had the Marantz SA-KI in the system and operating for maybe 100 hours by now. It has settled down nicely. I don't know how much more it will- but I expect it may improve all the way out to 500 hours.

It has been a substantial improvement over the xa5400es. It has showed me a need for a slight change in speaker toe-in, which helped solidify the soundstage center and also helped with increased dimensionality and depth. I still find the improved resolution to have allowed me an overall decrease in playback volumes with much better results. I like that a lot :righton: At higher volume it's still all good. Very solid bass with excellent dynamics and an improved more 'analog' type of sound. On some material it's definitely right there with the best of my turntable playback- which I never thought I would hear.

After reading another thread I am thinking it's easy for me to run a dedicated 12 ga line with a couple decent outlets. This house is 90 years old and it looks like I'm gaining power from (I think) an original un-grounded outlet and cover :yikes:. I am using a Balanced Power Tech conditioner- but still the wall cover has been painted over many times, and it would be an easy guess the oxidation and paint could make for less than complete contact within the outlet- combined with some sort of nasty old knob and tube wiring- well you get the picture. This will most likely be done in the next week- so I'm going to hold off on more judgements on the SA-KI until that time. I'm hoping for some noticeable overall positive change in the complete system with that upgrade.

So far I think that even tho the Marantz was a pricey item for sure- I'm really pleased with it as a source, and hope it will perform well for years to come without issue. I'll get back to this thread after the power upgrades have been made.

Cheers,
    RW

Ben_pit, mrob0000, Dave and 5 others like this.
  12. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I’ve been eying this player and had the bigger brother sa10 in the house for a demo . Pretty awesome stuff , just not sure if it’s worth the couple extra grand vs my marantz sa14s1 which sounds great in its own

bradleyc and bruce2 like this.
  13. Metralla

That's good to know.

14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a Sony DVP-S9000ES for a while. I used it for two channel audio only, and was not very impressed with the sound quality. My Marantz SA-8005 has far better sound to my ears. I traded in the Sony and don't miss it. That being said it was a nice looking heavy piece of equipment.

15. When you say a substantial improvement over the Sony XA-5400ES, do you mean for redbook CD or SACD?

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

While I do enjoy a well mixed and mastered multichannel disk, I would not agree with this assertion. On a really good system, stereo has the ability to sound incredibly deep and 3-D without any help from additional channels.

nutsfortubes, Coaltrain and F1nut like this.
  17. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I agree with stereo being able to show great dimension.

I'd have to say both cd and Sacd sound better through the Marantz. For want of a better explanation- the Marantz reminds me less that it's playing digital and just sounds more like it's playing music. At least in my current system. When I was running tube amps and Altec 604D drivers the Sony xa5400 was very satisfying. Im using a Yamaha a-s2100 for the last year or so and its driving a pair of GPA 604's in the same but modified cabinets. This combination is quite a bit more revealing of source character.

It's all fun. Just a different way of getting to a recording playback. The sound now is somewhat less romantic and with more detail. Thankfully it's not a ruthless display. Still very musical. Even more so than before.

I'm starting to understand the importance and value of a great DAC - and the transport and an upgradeable DAC for playback could be a great way to go.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  18. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I haven't heard the sa14s1, but I bet it's a great sound and unless it's been problematic I would think you may not need to spend the extra.
    What did you notice about the sa10 in comparison to the 14?

Nesto719 likes this.
  19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I can see why you feel your multi-channel is better than your 2 channel. Your front speakers are set up wrong. They need to be pulled out so the fronts are at least in front of that massive cabinet structure. If you can shift the entire set up to the left in order to get the right speaker away from the wall that will help too.

bradleyc, Tullman, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  20. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Agree 100%, maybe a little "toe in" may also help with there proximity of the walls? I would also hazard a guess that the analogue out on the Oppo 205 would be better than the Sony given it's 15 years + newer DAC but I haven't heard the Sony!

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree as well. I didn't notice the location of Sterling1's speakers till I read your post. If anything he definitely needs to move the front speakers out past the A/V cabinet.

22. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I have had both the pm10 ,and the sa10 . I did not like the pm10 at all .I prefer the pm11s3 that’s in my system . The sa10 is awesome though . I preferred Redbook vs sacd for the sa10 though . This series of marantz line took a purest approach , and some like that , but I like options .for instance with the sa14 you can still switch filters, while sacd playback ,where the sa10, you get what is on the disc .lets face it not all recording are great . The same thing going on with the pm10 , it’s too pure for my liking , plus I’m not a class d fan . I love the power specs that the pm10 gives ,but my pm11s3 sounds way better to my liking . Side by side the sa10 gives a more holographic sound stage vs the sa14 , but the sa14 holds its own for great playback as well . I am a big burr brown dac guy and the sa14 utilizes that dac chip. Is the sa10 a couple thousand dollars upgrade ?.... to me it’s not , but to someone else it may be. I feel the dsp that marantz uses in the new series is definently doing something to the music . I takes a bit to get adjusted to , but sounds great . The sa14 is what we’ve grown used to for hearing music , but does it really well , it extracts all the detail from the source , and really shines with good recordings .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    scobb and bruce2 like this.
  23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And then you put down the cover and listened to it... ;)

24. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

PM-10S1, SA-10S1
    PM-11S3, SA-11S3
    PM-14S1, SA-14S1

Marantz Reference gear has a pecking order where msrp corresponds to sound quality, but also with diminishing returns. Will try to post some pics as time permits. In my OCD experience of owning multiple models from this line of equipment (listed above), you get what you pay for. The higher up you go, the better everything sounds IMO

Nesto719 and bruce2 like this.
  25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope they replace the SA-14 with something in the same price range. $4000 for their cheapest SACD player now is out of my league. Damn shame the 8006 no longer does SACD.