New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

It’s worth noting that when not in CD mode, the Marantz transport is, by design to reduce noise, turned off. Inserting a disc when the transport is off will result in a delay for the transport to reawaken.

2. TBsheets

TBsheets Well-Known Member

I want to connect a higher end streamer to the USB input of the SA-KI Ruby, which makes it possible to listen to high res audio from Qobuz and on my NAS. The streamer I am thinking about is the Lumin U2 mini. I am not sure if the Ruby is fully fit for this. Do you have thoughts on this? Has someone any experience with this combination or experience with another streamer connected via USB to the Ruby?

3. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I don't play much digital but there is no debate that the Ruby is great for $3k. I keep pondering picking one up. It's just infuriating that it lacks balanced outs at that price point.

4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm happy w/ using the Ruby's converter for streaming, but I have wondered how it would work if you insert a converter upstream. Wouldn't the Ruby still apply its own converter to the incoming signal?

TBsheets likes this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You should always use the very best DAC that you have available to you for streaming as well as with your spinning media. So why not use the Ruby's DAC? I know that I certainly would if I were in your shoes. Infact I personally use my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC to listen to all of my digital sources, including when streaming from a unit which already contains a very good DAC.

Dave, TBsheets, DancingSea and 2 others like this.
  6. Royalshowing

Royalshowing Member

1.0 out of 5 stars Malfunction of remote controller
    Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2022
    While the unit itself is wonderful, the remote has never worked. A call to the manufacturer promised a remote replacement in two to three weeks. Nearly six weeks later, no replacement has been received. For as much as this cost, this is a very poor performance.
    High Priced Junk
    Check the Reviews of It !!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

There are probably twenty to thirty people here, posting in and around this thread versus some rando review.
    OK. :/

jusbe and ggjjr like this.
  8. Royalshowing

Royalshowing Member

MARANTZ PM-10 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER Review on YouTube Audio Science Review

Marantz SR8015 11.2 Channel AV Receiver . Which I own and think is the best on market, but CD/SACD by Marantz for me.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

One word... troll. Don’t bother responding.

10. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Yeehah for the ignore button!

George P and Bill Mac like this.
  11. TBsheets

No, I don't think so. The output of a dac is an analog signal which cannot be the input for a second dac.

12. TBsheets

Thanks for your answer. These are exactly my thoughts: the Ruby is a delicious player, I really love the sound of it. If I connect a decent streamer to it I hope to get the same delicious sound from all streaming sources.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not if you use one of the SA-KI Ruby's digital outputs to the DAC upstream. In that case the SA-KI Ruby's DAC will be bypassed.
    Some stand alone DACs have digital outputs. The SA-KI Ruby is an example as is my Oppo 105. Although both are players that happen to have digital inputs that can be used as DACs.

The Soncoz LA-QXD1 is an affordable DAC that has a digital coaxial output. It might not be common for a stand alone DAC to have digital outputs but there are some out there

Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC Review – An affordable & great sounding balanced DAC

The Bryston BDA-3.14 has a digital output as well. Although it's an HDMI output so it wouldn't really be able to be used with many if any stand alone DACs. It'd be more for connecting to a processor with HDMI inputs.

BDA-3.14 – Bryston

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    TBsheets likes this.
  14. Cherrycherry

Upstream is where the water in the river comes from.
    Downstream is where the water in the river goes to.
    Please understand.

@dougotte is asking about putting a DAC between the Internet/incoming digital signal and the SA-KI Ruby's digital input.
    (unless my reading comprehension is trashed)

TBsheets likes this.
  15. dougotte

You're correct. I was replying to TBsheets' question. For example, I stream from an Apple device via USB into the Ruby, or via AppleTV via optical into the Ruby. The digital signal runs through the Ruby's DAC (it's not really a DAC, is it? Doesn't Marantz call it something else?).

TBsheets wants to use another device's DAC upstream, then into the Ruby. Won't that result in the Ruby using its own DAC anyway?

The Ruby isn't a streamer, so you can't send a stream from it to another DAC. It only has analog outputs, anyway.

TBsheets and Cherrycherry like this.
  16. TBsheets

No, that is not what I meant. The device I want to use is a dedicated streamer and not a combination of a streamer and dac. The output of the streamer is a digital signal that will be converted to an analog signal in the Ruby. So the only dac I will have (and use) is in the Ruby.

Cherrycherry likes this.
  17. Cherrycherry

Based on specs for SA/ KI Ruby,
    USB type B input for PC (rear) Yes
    Sample Rate USB type B In DSD: 2.8 / 5.6 / 11.2 Mhz PCM: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/352.8/384kHz
    The Ruby internal DAC will handle almost everything Lumin U2mini can send it, up to 384kPCM.

I don’t have any experience with that, so, sorry if no help.

TBsheets likes this.
  18. TBsheets

Thanks! I find DACs, streamers and all related topics very complicated and often confusing. Your information is certainly helpful for me to better understand what is important and what not. So I am very happy with your answer.

ggjjr likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I got a chuckle out of this cute little example of explaining what upstream and downstream is. Did you ever think that I misread the earlier post from @dougotte? "Please understand"... you sound like a high school civics teacher ;).
    Let me give this another shot seeing that me earlier post was not on point. If you did connect a streaming device to a DAC then how would you connect it to the SA-KI Ruby? The SA-KI Ruby does not have analog inputs. So if the upstream DAC did have a digital output as some do you could connect it to one of the SA-KI Ruby's digital inputs. But then you'd basically be bypassing the DA conversion of the upstream DAC. As it would be digital in (from streaming device) and then digital out of the upstream DAC (if so equipped). I'm assuming that when using the digital output of a DAC that the incoming digital signal is passed through the DAC without DA conversion.

If one wanted to use a separate DAC for streaming and the SA-KI Ruby for disc and or file playback why not just connect the DAC (using it's analog output) to a different input of the analog preamp being used? I'm assuming one would be using an analog preamp (as I am) that the SA-KI Ruby would be connected to. If the separate DAC for the streaming device was connected to the analog preamp then there would be no need to connect or attempt to connect it to the SA-KI Ruby.

If the streaming device was connected to a DAC with a digital output then one could connect that digital input to the SA-KI Ruby. Then one could directly compare the DACs of the external DAC and the SA-KI Ruby by simply switching inputs on the analog preamp. Then one would know if the upstream DAC performed better than the SA-KI Ruby.

I'm doing something similar in my main system. I have my Oppo 203's optical output connected to the optical input of my SA-KI Ruby. This way I can listen to files on a 5tb hard drive connected to the 203 using the DACs in the SA-KI Ruby. It's the best of both worlds as I can use my display to access the files on the hard drive which is far easier than if the hard drive was connected to the SA-KI Ruby.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    Cherrycherry, dougotte and TBsheets like this.
  20. TBsheets

That's exactly how I connected my previous streamer/DAC device (which broke and can only be repaired at very high cost): the analog output connected to the amplifier and the digital output connected to the SA-KI Ruby. The sound quality using the Ruby was better than the sound quality of the direct connection to the amplifier. So I concluded that the DAC in the Ruby is better than the DAC in the streaming device I used. And I concluded that my next streaming device does not need to have a DAC as the Ruby can do the DA conversion in a very good and pleasant way.

dougotte and Bill Mac like this.
  21. dougotte

Bill, I was thinking the same as you, but I was mistaken. I apologize to all if I took the conversation down the wrong path.

I carefully re-read TBsheets' original and follow-up posts and I now understand that TBsheets does want to use the Ruby's DAC. They are using a streamer to control various providers (Qobuz etc.) and files, and to send the raw digital data from that streamer into the Ruby. The original question was: can the Ruby decode all the formats and bitrates? Cherrycherry clearly answered the original question.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. JIgitz

JIgitz Member

Hi All,

I have had my PM-KI and SA-KI for about 6 months. I have been very happy with them and got them used for a good deal. I am using it with my Sierra-LX speakers and SL-1200G turn table with ART9XI cart.

I am very happy with the sound but I am getting curious to try an external phono pre. Do you all use an external pre or the onboard phono? I keep reading and hearing (with my ears) great things about the on board phono and really enjoy it but I am curious about other potential pairings to try out. Any suggestions? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

23. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Probably worth a new thread on its own.

As well as the phono stage in my PM-10, I also have a CEC PH53 and an Audio Innovations P2.

24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I run Ruby Reference PM Black Signature KI. The onboard phono amp is good.....its not as good, nor in same status as my 2 stand alone phono amps. You would yield much more pleasure with a quality stand alone phono amp.

25. Cherrycherry

BillMac, I was trying to be polite. :)
    My experience when it looks like something seems to be getting confusing is to make a clarifying statement in order get back on right foot.

nutsfortubes likes this.