New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I don't know, but I got the Ruby for the totally opposite reason than you.... I don't need all the extra technology at all streaming etc.... If I wanted to stream I'd hook up my laptop to the Ruby via USB works just fine.... more 99% of the time I'm spinning discs.... Less tech is better in my opinion one less thing that could go wrong and I don't want to be connected to the internet all the time when playing music... Data privacy issues there no matter what the company says....

2. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Yes, the Ruby sounds 'better' to my ears. I previously owned the 30N for about a year before I bought the Ruby so I would know. The short of it is the Ruby is tighter and truer sounding and leans a bit more neutral tonally (has less of that signature Marantz tonality), where as the 30N is more 'colored' (has more of the signature Marantz tonality) and is not as tight and true sounding (though still excellent in this regard). The 30N is a bit more forgiving of recording flaws. The 'voicing' or frequency balances of the players is essentially the same, and both slightly roll off the high frequencies.

Yes, I suspect higher quality internal parts in the Ruby are primarily the reason for its 'better' sound quality. It's built like a tank and everything about it oozes super high quality with little to no expense spared. The 30N, while very well built, does seem like it was designed off the Ruby tech, but made with cheaper parts overall.

The bottom line though is for only $3K, the Ruby is a steal.

3. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

While the SA-10 is pretty universally praised too, the Ruby is one of the most universally praised players for its sound quality I've ever seen in all these years SACD players have been made. If there is a criticism of it, it generally is for something other than how it sounds. I think I only came across one individual who wasn't enamored with the sound of it. To my ears, it does an exceptional job of sounding very life-like, i.e. retrieving a lot of detail, being very tight and true sounding, but also very smooth, controlled and not fatiguing at the same time. This is a very difficult feat, but the Ruby delivers it in spades. I say it's Ken Ishiwata's masterpiece (and I think he himself said it was his finest achievement in the area of SACD/CD players).

4. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

It's possible the SA-10 is better, i.e. that I might think it's better sounding than the Ruby, but I'm not about to spend $7,500 to find out. And reports from Bill Mac that from memory they sound very, very close, suggests it isn't worth trying to find out.

Dave, azideam and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

But isn’t the disc transport on the newer 30n better tech?
    Faster?

not trying to go against what you are saying. It’s just seems to me that better tech comes with time.

thanks again for the comments

Audiofan1 likes this.
  6. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

No. The Ruby has a better, much higher quality drive, though the disc loading time is about the same with maybe the Ruby being a tad faster.

Bill Mac and Tone? like this.
  7. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

As I’m sure you well know, “sounds better” is such a relative term. I’ve read your very helpful descriptions of the sonic characteristics of both players throughout the thread, and each time it confirms my choice of the 30n. Having made a fair trip up the audiophile beanstalk, I’m quite leery of where it leads. The 30n is right at the border of how far into transparency or neutrality I wish to go. I seek color and forgiving. I want gear to that makes music sound more pleasing than the original recording. In that regard, I’m a contrarian audiophile.

8. stvnharr

stvnharr Forum Resident

Okay, here is a schematic comparison of the RCA outputs of each player.
    SA-KI Ruby has a differential circuit which combines the + and - leg of each channel. Then there is an HDAM circuit on each channel after the differential circuit which then connects to the RCA connector.
    SA-10 has an HDAM circuit on each + and - leg of each channel. The outputs are then connected to the XLR connectors. The outputs area also connected to a 1-1 line transformer which combines the + and - outputs together and then they are connected to the RCA connectors.

This schematic difference could provide a sound difference. But any sound difference would most likely be determined by the audio system downstream from the player. Thus some might hear a difference and others might not.

Fractured, RWAudio and jusbe like this.
  9. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

So you choose something that works for you great then! Everyone is going to make chooses for various different reasons...

DancingSea and bug2362 like this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

oh didn’t know that

thanks

11. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Yes, I could see someone preferring the 30N, depending on their preferences, their other equipment, their room acoustics, etc.

DancingSea likes this.
  12. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would have to disagree with you as far as technology advances between the 30n and the SA-KI Ruby. The only technology difference as far as I've seen would be that the 30n has onboard streaming capability. I added a WiiM Mini streamer to my system and that more than covered the streaming aspect for my system.

14. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Perhaps a few more things than just streaming, it does use an OLED screen and not sure if this applies to the Ruby as well but the disc drive shuts down completely when not in use. It can also function as a preamp. The streaming interface is more useful than one may think, no added cables and an direct interface with the dac is nothing to sneeze at , I'm having the time of my life with Amazon HD with Heos now accessing my full libraries with quality that's ranges from good to outstanding, its definitely a disc drive saver. As far as what other advances in tech there maybe parts list etc.. remains a guess some say it uses a new disc drive etc.. it was discussed here the laser has different part # than the one found in the Ruby?

timind, TarnishedEars and DancingSea like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The type of display really does not matter to me as it's normally off. I'm also not concerned about a single optical cable from the WiiM Mini to the SA-KI Ruby. The WiiM Mini gives me all the streaming capability I need. It also does Amazon Music. If I recall when a different input (USB, coaxial or optical) is used the disc drive on the SA-KI Ruby is also disabled. I have a preamp so no benefit there.

The 30n or the SA-KI Ruby are both excellent choices and one can't go wrong with either. It depends on the features one wants that will most likely be the deciding factor. For me it was simplicity over features and I prefer the look of the SA-KI Ruby over the 30n.

TarnishedEars and Audiofan1 like this.
  16. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Well that’s all well and good and suits your purpose great. But for someone like me with 2000+ CDs and 200+ SACD and using an IPad to stream to the SA-KI DAC and listen to streamed music less then 10% of the time the other added functions are not needed. Also it cost money to add the extra features to the player so somethings need to be scaled back to meet a certain price point. Nothing is free.

Dave likes this.
  17. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Not competing here at all ! I have just as many sacd's and disc as well and 95% of my listening are shinny disc. Just trying to give info on questions asked but I'll just bow out of this thread as I do respect the owners and thread itself , I meant no disrespect .

TarnishedEars likes this.
  18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

It sounds like you are very happy with your KI, and that's great! :righton:

However, there are some cool things one can do with an integrated player/streamer that one cannot easily do with a typical player or streamer. For example, one can stream CDs being played on the 30N to any other HEOS devices which you have in your house. I do this quite a bit with my ND8006, and I use it to stream the CDs which I am playing (or anything else that I am streaming) to every other room in the house which I have HEOS link in.

DancingSea and Audiofan1 like this.
  19. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

The 30N's screen is also able to display more information than the SA-KI, which is limited in this regard.

Audiofan1 likes this.
  20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the silver color Ruby is not available in USA? I see more black units.

21. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Correct. Only black is available I believe.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

ouch! I prefer the silver by far.

23. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

It has no effect on the sound. Just close your eyes.:)

Dave and bug2362 like this.
  24. SocProf

SocProf Forum Resident

Be careful! Some troll might come up with a convoluted theory and 5 pages of graphs "proving" that the color does affect the sound. ;)

stenway, TheRealMcCoy and bug2362 like this.
  25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Actually the silver color match with the music side of the CD, so the optical laser lens can read deeper into the CD, that makes the music sounds better! :biglaugh: