New Marilyn Manson single "No Reflection"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lugnut2099, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just posting mainly because there was that thread a couple months ago with several people asking if he was still around or not. Song is nothing special, sounds...well, sounds like Marilyn Manson, no more no less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSSN54m6uMY

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It sounds like pretty much everything and anything else I've heard from him.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's because Marilyn Manson is a one trick pony in my book, a trick I can't stand personally, but to each his/her own

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That sums it up nicely, yes.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that sums it up. I used to be a pretty big Manson fan, but I gotta admit the "same old same old" thing... got old. At least Reznor evolved and changed - I think Manson tried with "Mechanical Animals" but it didn't do as well as expected, so he/they went back to the tried and true and never threatened to break out of that mold...

6. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals are both very good albums in my book. Everything else I can take or leave.

7. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

I'll definitely check it out. He's never been a favourite of mine, but he's usually got at least one or two strong tracks per album. That last album was poor though, and the tour was pretty pathetic and bizarre. He had a midget bring him some exotic looking bottles of water throughout the show. After taking one drink, he'd then spit it out in the air and throw the still full bottle in the security area in front of the stage. I guess he's still angry about that lawsuit years ago.

8. macabrae_j

macabrae_j Active Member

It has the Rammstein industrial sound too it. I like the drum sound a lot. I think it's a step in the right direction for him, but I really want Manson to do something new. Antichrist sounded different from Mechanical Animals, which sounded different from Holywood. This just sounds like a darker/Dancier version of his last album. It's not bad, but it's not what I think of when I think new Manson album.

9. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

have any of you listened to Eat Me, Drink Me? I think that album stands out the most from the rest of his catalog after Mechanical Animals. The album really benefits from Tim Skold's guitar work. Some great solos and an overall different feel to the album. Too bad he didn't stick around very long...

10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I used to like Mechanical Animals because it was retro glam rock, until I started noticing how much it really was Pink Floyd's The Wall redux.

11. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Yes. On the whole I didn't find the album that strong, but I always liked Putting Holes In Happiness, and think it's one of his best tracks ever. I also agree about the guitar work; Skold was a worthy replacement for John 5.

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I havent been paying attention too much to anything Manson has released lately ( I have the albums but never bought the The High End Of Low).
    Nothing against him, but I suppose he lost some of the marbles after Antichrist & Mechanical Animals albums and been sort of just doing plain stuff after those..
    Holy Wood had some good songs and albums after that had some high and low points.

13. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Not very blown away , his last few albums have been pretty weak for me , I really liked his 1st 3 albums & then he started to slide .....

15. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Agreed,

MM better days are probably behind him. Those 1st 3 albums were killer.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Never got that album - that's around the time I just decided I wasn't too interested in Manson anymore. Always intended to get it but never did. :shrug:

Tempted to see the band when they come to town in May, but just can't muster much enthusiasm, especially with $50 tickets. I don't regard $50 as expensive for a show, but it's more than I'm willing to pay for Manson...

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Eat Me Drink Me was good for the first half of the album, the other half sucked. Heart Shaped Glasses was in reality a Killers Hot Fuss rip off clone sounding song, but I enjoyed it because of that. I'd get a cheap copy for the first 6 songs alone.

18. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

New album is pretty good IMHO...the return of angry Manson (after the lovey dovey Manson of the last couple of albums)...some of the guitar on the album made my fillings rattle!

Not as much 'electronica' as previous efforts, but his voice is in fine fettle, and I would happliy place this album quite high up in his best albums list!

19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I have the new album but haven't listened to it yet. Will check it out at work today!

20. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

Agreed, pretty impressed with Born Villain. Much better than the last one.

21. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

LP finally came out today. Overall I wasn't impressed, but three songs were really great:
    slo-mo-tion - glammy MA style.
    put down your goddamn arms - Great sabbath-like verse riff and good MA style chorus
    Murderers are getting prettier everyday - Heavy riff and blast beats drive this one. A nice change of pace from the "filler" of the rest of the album.

This was just an initial first listen, I will go through it again in the next few days. I did listen to the songs I like multiple times, and I do really like those three and they would make the cut for a "best of manson" playlist for me.

22. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Forgot. It's a double 180gm LP w/ DL. Amazon Pre order was $13.99, not sure what regular price is. Records were flat and quiet. Sounded good, but I have no idea if they are better than the CD, or even how the cd sounds, for that matter.

23. macabrae_j

macabrae_j Active Member

I'm playing side 4 right now. My copy didn't come with a side 1 or 2. It's flat. The vinyl is pretty dirty but quiet. It sounds really compressed still, and almost like a CD pressed to vinyl. I have a few, and it really does sound that way. There's a shallowness to the sound. As far as the music, Manson is almost back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.