New Mogwai LP: As Love Continues (Feb. 19, 2021) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Oct 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I listened to the album in high-res digital again tonight. And played around with absolute polarity (a.k.a. absolute phase). The album sounds better to me with the absolute polarity inverted. But still doesn't lock in like I think it should. What might be going on is that all parts of the mix (all instruments) aren't in the same absolute phase or locked to having transients hit in the same absolute phase at exactly the same time. The absolute phase just sounds off, not as exact as it should be. And sounds better to me inverted. Inverting the absolute phase gets the bass and rhythm to sound more correct but some of the midrange instruments end up sounding wrong. So it ends up being a tradeoff. Do you set the absolute polarity (absolute phase) to optimize the bass and rhythm or do you optimize for the midrange instruments? Neither answer is correct. But to me with my gear the album sounds better with the absolute polarity inverted. There is more drive and things sound more in sync (or in sinc (a digital filter pun)). But neither absolute polarity setting has everything locked in.

Try inverting the absolute polarity if your gear allows. Can be difficult to do for a turntable setup. Easier to do with a digital setup. I use JRiver Media Center and can invert absolute polarity (absolute phase) with DSP plugins. Easy to do with digital playback. Not so easy with pure analog unless you have some special gear.

Absolute polarity (absolute phase) is how the initial transient of a drum hit hits you. The initial hit of a bass drum should cause the speakers to push air so the bass drum hit hits you in the chest. It's the difference between the speakers blowing or sucking. Nobody wants sound that sucks.

jfeldt likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Damned... I totally wasn't aware that I'm effectively only one album ("Rave Tapes") short. Additionally I have "Mogwai Fear Satan" triple remix album on super trippy colour wax, "Ten Rapid" as 10", "Zidane" and the great "Stanley Kubrick" ep.

3. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Mogwai tweeted that the album is Number 3 in Germany, 5 in Belgium and 8 in Sweden.

While the latter two are relatively small in population, Germany is still a huge market where physical product is still popular, so they must have sold a decent amount of copies in Germany.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Maurice, craigobau, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I love this album. It deserves all the accolades and sales it is getting.

Pop_Zeus and JeffMo like this.
  5. Neonbeam

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Jim, which format and version did you get? I ordered the yellow vinyl from Bull Moose last night.
    Jeff

7. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

Dang you ended up with two copies? The signed print is nice too!

8. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I have the indie US version. It is pressed nicely. I am not sure there would be much difference between it and the Arkwright cut as they probably both used digital files.

JeffMo likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

I ordered together with a friend! One copy will be leaving the house later today.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I thought you might be one of those crazy collector types!

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. iworkatinitech

Gotcha lucky nonetheless, US options were not quite as good as the euro versions...

12. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Still no progress on my boxset - has now spent more than two weeks ‘cleared and waiting international departure’ at, I assume, the UK airport... Anyone else in a similar boat?

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is terrible.

My US yellow vinyl came in record time (2 days) from Bull Moose. I guess USPS has worked out their holiday issues now.

Going to give it a spin now.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm really digging it on first listen.

Interesting to read credits: recorded and engineered at Vada Recording Studios in UK; produced and mixed at Tarbox Road Studios in New York; mastered at Abbey Road back in UK.

Three different teams in three locations, so presumably this was a pandemic lockdown album.

Maurice likes this.
  15. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Royal Mail says they’re way behind on everything - including saying it will take ten days to get a response to an email - so I guess I just keep waiting. I’ve generally been pretty lucky with shipping over the last year or so - this one is probably the worst - so I can’t really complain. Just disappointing to be missing the genuine buzz surrounding this release. Oh well. I’ll get it soon enough & still have plenty of time to enjoy it...

16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

No 8 in the Billboard album chart this week.

jimhb, iworkatinitech and Maurice like this.
  17. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

The album is holding up really well in the UK midweek charts at number 12, which considering the top 8 are all new entries, that’s pretty good going.

iworkatinitech likes this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This album was featured on Tim's Twitter Listening Party last week and can be replayed for those interested. Barry and Stuart participated and shared stories, inspirations and memories of making this great music.

wallpaperman, Neonbeam, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  19. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

FWIW, I ordered directly from mogwai.scot on release day and was pleasantly surprised to find out the FLAC was 24/96, so it looks like both direct and via bandcamp are 24/96.

JeffMo and iworkatinitech like this.
  20. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

My vinyl boxset finally arrived the other day - worth noting that, even though it’s not mentioned anywhere on their website or the box itself (or even discogs last time I checked), it includes a download code (320 mp3) for the whole set: album and demos. I had hoped it would, since the Every Country’s Sun boxset did, but was concerned about it not being listed anywhere.

iworkatinitech and JeffMo like this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

enjoy the set! I can’t get the vinyl off my turntable.

Neonbeam, jsb!, jimhb and 1 other person like this.
  22. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Likewise! This is a fantastic album.

Fitter Stoke, Neonbeam, jsb! and 2 others like this.
  23. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Only just getting round to listening to this. Musically it's terrific, but my god I wish Dave Fridmann would give up production and go and work in a bank or something.

iworkatinitech and Jarra Lad like this.
  24. iworkatinitech

Couldn’t agree more. I find myself enjoying the Zero Zero Zero OsT, and the earlier ost work much more than the new album. It’s tiring to listen to I find similar to ECS...for whatever reason I never got that feeling with Rock Action though

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

On right now, with a cup of Sunday morning coffee, and life is good.

iworkatinitech, Pop_Zeus and jimhb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.