New Monoprice Monolith Turnatble $250

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  2. dl2341

dl2341 Well-Known Member

It seems the secret is out, and yes the Monolith is the same as the Elac Miracord 50. Since I have notified most of the top sellers in the USA, they are now aware of this problem. One company actually said they would never order another Miracord 50. The AT-100E is correct, because Audio Technica will make that cartridge for resale, or they supplied remaining warehouse number, or whatever. The specs are actually quite good for the $250 model understanding their is always problems when the Chinese interpret their information into English. What it doesn't tell you is their is a speed adjustment underneath for both 33 and 45. The motor is a mass produced DC servo design used in many turntables. Anyone buying one should measure the rubber band, and oder a similar size from LP Gear because theirs are the very best. There are some very reasonable AT-VM series micro line cartridges that would make this turntable a good buy. Audio Technica is introducing a new model Audio-Technica AT-W40WN with both a wooden base (walnut veneer) with a carbon fiber arm, and an electronic speed control to maintain proper speed with the VM95 cartridge with many upgrades in stylus available. Sometime you do get what you paid for because it will cost $300 in May.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

I think it would be called simulated walnut veneer, but it does look like a good buy in that entry market, and BHP lists availability as end of April, but could easily slip into May ...

[​IMG]

Audio-Technica ConsumerAT-LPW40WN Stereo Turntable (Walnut)

Lucca90 likes this.
  4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL the more things change the more they remain the same.
    [​IMG]

nosliw likes this.
  5. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the Monoprice vs the Denon DP 300F? Looking for an inexpensive automatic or semi automatic table for casual listening in my living room. Price is pretty comparable between the two, I don’t know of any other decent options...

6. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

My guess is that both will be fine for you. I think the Monolith comes with a better cart, which is significant.

My only experience with the Denon is one that I ordered online. It ran WAY SLOW out of the box - painfully, noticeably slow. So I returned it. I'm sure this could happen with virtually any table in this price range, so I'm not making this a Denon thing. Probably just a one-off quality control issue. I just chose to walk away and not give them a chance to replace it.

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. llama

llama Forum Resident

I have the DP300f. BTW it has the same gimbal and counterweight as that AT pictured above. The W/F is spec’d at .1. Mine ran fast and was a super pain to adjust. I keep it because it’s automatic. It is a little plastic ish but looks pretty ok. The auto mechanism is a little clunky. Put a M97xe on it and for whatever reason now it sings. I was take it or leave it with the turntable until I put the shure on it. Now I really like it. I also keep it because the headshell is removable and I have a conical for 45s. Have had it 2 years and so far it’s reliable. My other turntable is a uturn orbit custom and it beats the denon handily.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

A bit of a family resemblance to the Music Hall 1.3, it would appear.

[​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.