New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

After 4th listen I am further warming to Just a Notion....I would rate it a 4/5 now :agree:

dreambear, ptijerm, Fred1 and 3 others like this.
  2. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Funny how we can have such different opinions...

Now This Is What We Wanted From ABBA
    A month after ABBA rose from the glittery pop ashes and released, frankly, two underwhelming comeback singles that didn't sound much like them, our patience has been rewarded with a travel back in time: The Swedish legends unveiled their newest track “Just a Notion,” a ridiculously happy romp that finds Agnetha, Björn, Benny, and Anni-Frid harmonizing about the joys of flirting while a power piano noodles in the background. (A top ABBA sonic theme, after battle metaphors for romance.) The song was originally recorded in late 1978 for the group’s Voulez-Vous sessions but was left on the cutting room floor for reasons that remain elusive. “Why did we decide against it? In hindsight, I don’t have a clue,” Björn explained in a statement. “So it’s a mystery and will remain a mystery.” We have it on loop.
    Now This Is What We Wanted From ABBA

dreambear, Jrr, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  3. IWS

IWS Well-Known Member

Yes, I too like JAN and haven’t had any complaints about it and don’t consider it to be inferior to the other ABBA tracks that have that earlier sound. I just happen to prefer the sound of later ABBA—“The Visitors” and “The Day Before You Came” are two of my absolute favorite tracks, and would love for the new album’s direction to be a continuation of the evolution of their sound rather than a neatly assembled repeat of early-mid ABBA.

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The first two singles reached no. 39 and no. 27 on the Australian chart. I predict that "Just a Notion" will perform substantially better.

5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You can add Lana Del Rey in there too.

RSteven likes this.
  6. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Yes, for me a new ABBA song wasn‘t love at first sight automatically. I clearly remember that it took some time to warm up to „Gimne Gimme Gimme“ and when „The Winner Takes It All“ was released in 1980 I was quite disappointed at first. Today both songs are among my ABBA favorites…

Concerning JAN my first reaction yesterday was also rather lukewarm. But having received the CD this morning I couldn‘t resist its considerable charm and played it more than once…

Fred1, Jrr, John Adam and 2 others like this.
  7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Is it just the one track? And is the packaging the same format as the previous singles? Thanks.

Sgt. Abbey Road and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Yes, it is one track again. This time ABBA and the song title are printed on the front cover. Again it is a gate fold cover with production details and lyrics inside. There are stills from the Abbatars this time: Agnetha and Frida on the front and back cover and Björn and Benny inside…rather blurry, just a notion indeed!

Jarleboy and croquetlawns like this.
  9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Thanks!

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Excellent first post - you're going to fit right in here :wave:

11. T3l5t4r

T3l5t4r Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think The Album is my 3rd favourite after Super Trouper & The Visitors.
    Then 4. Voulez Vous, 5. Arrival, 6. ABBA, 7. Ring Ring and 8. Waterloo

12. T3l5t4r

Thanks for the welcome.

Jarleboy and Jrr like this.
  13. T3l5t4r

I'll take that as a compliment haha. Thanks for the welcome.

Jarleboy and coffeetime like this.
  14. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

Don't submit to the fanboy cognitive dissonance! Recognise warmed-over tv dinners when you taste them!

15. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

My favorite ABBA album is the expanded version of the Visitors, the expanded part put it over my past favorite, The Album. Then my list in pretty in-sync with yours!
    Hoping VOYAGE will change up my list a little, and be my new #1.

Jarleboy and croquetlawns like this.
  16. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

That's pretty much my list as well. Some people might not like the last 2 albums because it's less happy sounding & more melancholy.

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s about how I would stack them as well.

Jarleboy and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  18. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

ABBA - Just A Notion - Rebalanced and Remastered

I have mentioned that the sound quality of the new JAN leaves a lot to be desired. It sounds congested and a bit muffled. For me, it is the audio equivalent of stepping into a crowded subway train and being pressed up against other riders. Using my DAW and some software, I decided to see what could be done to make it sound less congested.

I purchased a hi-res 96K/24 bit of the song. I used software to extract the vocals and bring up the drums, plus EQ, reverb, and some other things. It Is posted as an unlisted video on my YouTube page at the link below. I think the result adds some clarity over the released version. It also shows some of the “flaws” in the vocals a little bit more. Anyway, I gave it a try. I hope you will listen. Thanks.

19. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Agree here….maybe switch 7 with 8 …MAYBE :)
    And after we got the 3 new songs I expect the new album not to be a favorite but rather near the bottom of my list.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

Having listened to JAN a few times now, I don't think initial perceptions of its quality are helped by the low key or quite downbeat first 43 seconds. Once Agnetha's voice kicks in the song lifts up and takes off and becomes joyful.

21. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

Phrase of the year :D

[​IMG]

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I only just realised Just a Notion got released the other day. Nice enough song, but not as good as the first two songs. I like its Voulez Vous style though, considering it's one of my favourite ABBA albums, right down to the "Aha-ha"s. :D

Jarleboy, Roxy6 and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  24. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I can here there is more "space" a less Phil Spector kind of approach, compared to the Released version.
    I've heard the song now many times and I agree with some fellow writers here; the opening is ok, but from the 10th to the 42th second is the weakest part of the song.
    As soon as A&F go full speed, the song is lifted up to a floor filler. By far the most happy song.

I appreciate it more and more. But also hope it's the only antique jewel in the box.

25. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

A genuine grower, right? :)