New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Ulvaeus Seeks Source of ABBA Magic With Apple Radio Show

Los Angeles (AP) -- ABBA's Björn Ulvaeus is launching a radio show on Apple Music, with hopes of figuring out why his songs like “Mamma Mia” and “Dancing Queen” have stayed stuck in the heads of so much of the world for so many decades.

The guitarist, singer and co-songwriter from the Swedish supergroup will host the “Björn from ABBA and Friends’ Radio Show” on Apple Music Hits starting Monday.

The limited series includes music and conversations with Ulvaeus' friends and collaborators, starting in the first episode with his fellow producer, songwriter and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Nile Rodgers.

Ulvaeus and Rodgers talk about the secrets of hit-making and why ABBA's music has remained in the public consciousness.

“I have long wanted to ask some emotionally intelligent as well as intellectual people who know about ABBA about why they think our songs have lasted for such a long time — almost 40 years — because I don’t understand it myself,” the 76-year-old Ulvaeus said.

(Article continues on bloomerg)

2. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I LOVE the idea of the show and especially Bjorn Ulvaeus and Nile Rodgers talking music together!!!

3. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Hey, guess what? My "Little Things" CD finally arrived this morning.
    After discovering the surprise in my postbox, I went in and checked my emails and there was a response from someone at UMUK Store Support who told me that my order is being processed and due to ship in the next 1-2 working days lol!
    Still loving "Voyage", by far the album of the year for me. There will have to be some other truly astonishing record to stop it being my album of the decade too. After so many listens, everytime I want to hear Abba, it's "Voyage" that goes on.

willy, Talisman954, Eska68 and 10 others like this.
  4. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

hehe a whole month after Christmas day, too! Better late than never, eh:righton: I thought the next single would have been released by now! lol

Voyage is still a glorious record after many, many listens, I sometimes can't believe it exists! 'Don't shut me down' is probably my favourite song of the past 20 years, easily!

5. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

Hey Matt
    It would be great if you could report back on what you find interesting in these broadcasts.
    I tried signing up to Apple Music and - hilariously - none of the codes they supplied worked. So my Apple embargo continues.

Jokersm123 and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Dee Jay

Dee Jay These go to eleven.

View from one of the seated sections at the ABBA Arena. Opening night four months away.

[​IMG]

7. Dee Jay

More images.

[​IMG]
    The spaces above the two vomitories are to contain 'dance booths'.
    [​IMG]

8. MattHooper

I'd never be able to attend that ABBA show due to being protective of my tinnitus and hyperacusis, but I'm certainly looking forward to the reviews.
    I hope it's a success.

9. FrankieMax

Had to look up 'Vomitories', otherwise i'd have thought it was a place for people to vomit over the edge at people below!

...How very Shakespearean I thought;p

Looks like it's taking shape, I think it'll create a great atmosphere.

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Roxy6 and Jokersm123 like this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It’s actually not top far from where I live, though I doubt I’ll ever see the show.
    I also hope it’s a great success, but I can imagine it might be a full on Mamma Mia type fancy dress crowd, and of course everyone holding up their phones to film it. That would all drive me mad…

Roxy6, anduandi, Jokersm123 and 2 others like this.
  12. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

It’s such a pity. The album is still weaving it’s magic with me, and I’m still pinching myself it’s really happened :) But the mastering is a damn shame. This masterpiece deserves better than modern mastering practices. A pity the mastering didn’t follow the timeless music. The other disappointment is the lousy packaging of the ‘deluxe’ edition CD. Poor quality paper that was already scuffing at the sides when it arrived, average printing quality, and the sticker sheets too large for the box! Somehody really REALLY dropped the ball in the design of this. ABBAs first new material in 40 years - and remarkably the music hit the spot, and then some, so it’s almost criminal the mastering and packaging really lagged behind in quality.

But, what an album! I’m so thankful we have been given this gem by all concerned! The world needed the light of ABBA back in it again!

Roxy6, vivresavie, bob60 and 7 others like this.
  13. crankybruh

I've seen many comments about how people are still stunned by simply hearing a new ABBA album - and that it's really good! I'm fascinated by how perfectly assembled it is, how they've managed to create such diversity with the songs yet maintain an integrated flow. B&B are consummate musicians.

Thanks for those views of the arena. It looks the perfect size for an intimate concert but big enough to generate excitement in the audience. The curiosity factor for the show is a big selling point - will it actually be any good? ABBA have huge cojones!

willy, Roxy6, Halloween_Jack and 4 others like this.
  14. MattHooper

It sure does seem bizarre. Benny and Bjorn (and Michael Tretow) seem to have cared so much about sound quality, and they still operate a state of the art studio. It therefore completely confuses me that they would let quality control slip at the end of the process like this.

15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I agree that the regular stereo version's mastering is not the best. The Dolby Atmos version is a definite improvement. It is worth getting but you will need a suitable file player that will properly fold down to stereo from the 5.1 mix. If you have an Atmos surround system, then consider yourself luckier than most.

Jokersm123 and Jarleboy like this.
  16. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

The problem isn't likely with the mix, but the processing done by others. First, there is apparently a push for the loudness wars processing, and second, there is a ubiquitous compression (a small amount, a fast, 40-80ms release time, 1.5:1 to 2:1 range.) The double-whammy produces 'substandard' results.

Ignoring the comments about the post processing, I'd really love to hear a copy of the 'mix'. Too many dirty hands have messed with the recording. NOT ABBA's FAULT!!!

Halloween_Jack and Jokersm123 like this.
  17. MattHooper

Yes I figured it was some after-the-mix issues, mastering or whatever. But that still raises the same puzzle to me, why they would care so much about sound quality and then not find a way of ensuring the quality is maintained through to the end process.

18. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

All almost done. Waiting for an awesome show
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. crankybruh

The pix are great but that's nowhere near "almost done"!!! :laugh:

Darren Richardson and Jokersm123 like this.
  20. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Aren't these stills from the "Little Things" video with the kids performing?

21. Dee Jay

Fans on the official ABBAsite mailing list got a random e-mail from them, highlighting the song 'No Doubt About It'. Could be a pointer to a possible single? At this stage, I don't suppose even they believe in high chart placing. It would be all about keeping the 'Voyage' and avatar shows in the public mind as opening night approaches.

22. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Yrs, I got this in my inbox as well.

This is the email contents. They could be testing out public reaction to get a feel on whether to release it as a single. However, I think the greater consensus is that "Keep An Eye On Dan" would a better choice. Perhaps KAEOD might be a single to release just before the concert debut and "No Doubt About It" would be a single in between now and then. the "See Inside" is a link to the photos on Instagram.

[​IMG]
    Song in focus: No Doubt About It

Ever wondered what ABBA’s latest song ‘No Doubt About It’ is about? When asked, Frida gave this answer:

”No doubt about it” could be about me and my beloved one, but if you look upon any relationship with some sense of humour, you will certainly come out of it with a smile - until next time!! ❤️

- Frida

[​IMG]
    See inside the ABBA Arena

With under four months to go until ABBA’s concert opens, the ABBA Arena is a busy place right now! If you wonder what the inside looks like, click the link below to get a first glimpse as the construction continues…

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. FrankieMax

Quite exciting! I agree '...Dan' should be the next single, hopefully with a Remix or something if a CD Single is issued.

A bit bored of the 1 trackers now, seems a common thing if any CD Single is released at all. Sure 'We don't have to buy them' but I would be compelled to, as I have every ABBA CD single released.

Most;y in part to the 'Singles Collection 1972 ★ 1982' Box Set from 1999, and various late 1980's an 1990's Reissues such as the 1999 reissues of 'Happy New Year, plus the DVD Singles of Waterloo and Dancing Queen. It would be nice to see a bonus audio track on the final Voyage single, even an instrumental or alternate version.

24. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

It’s a real puzzler. I mean, the mastering could have been far worse of course (by modern standards it’s pretty good), but like Bowie’s Blackstar, what I wouldn’t give to hear the pre-release unfudged with version with full dynamics and detail intact.

25. MattHooper

I was excited to receive the Abbey Road 1/2 speed master LP of ABBA's Souper Trouper yesterday.

I gave it a spin and...damn! It started off sounding wonderful, so clean, clear, spacious...and then the bass! Cripes all mighty did the remaster guy have his finger pushing up the bass! I'd read that this version was bass heavy but this is IMO flat out obnoxious and a distraction! Song after song "WHUMP, WHUMP, WHUMP" - like mixing ABBA as EDM. Ugh.

Hopefully I'll earn to ignore the issue at some point and enjoy the album.