New Neko Case album "Hell-On" (June 1, 2018) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It was. Especially coming after those really good run of Case albums. Compared to these it just sounded like music for old people, not exciting at all.

2. Neonbeam

So the implication here is that "most" contemporary singers are insincere? But on the other hand you don't like "honest" lyrics that you perceive as "too confrontational" or "emotional catharsis"?

Elliottmarx likes this.
  3. Most modern singers are manufactured concoctions of their producers and marketing team. To her credit, I've never gotten that impression from her music.

4. Neonbeam

Definitely not true for the alternative scene Case has her background in. But it's a nice opportunity to bash modern music! :righton::righton:

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Nope.

Jeff Minn and pghmusiclover like this.
  6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Well I am an old person so perhaps that's why I liked it... Seriously, I thought it was a gorgeous album and still listen to it! My only disappointment was that for as much as Neko tours, and as many times as she has been to Pittsburgh (a lot!), their tour did not bring them here...

7. Neonbeam

I tried to like it and and played it several times but I just couldn't get into it.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

good point. looks like we're at an impasse!

9. pghmusiclover

Everyone hears things differently, so I like it, you don't -- at the end of the day, we are both still Neko fans, so it's all good! It's not necessary to love everything by a particular artist...

10. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Case/Lang/Veirs left me a bit underwhelmed. I think the ratio was off, there was a bit too much Veirs, an artist I always thought was merely pretty good. I like, don't get me wrong. But I'd much rather have a new Neko Case record.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this!

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wouldnt she be Mrs. Logic?

13. What are you on about? I probably buy 200 new albums a year and hear dozens of new artists. I literally own every single song Neko Case has ever recorded and released on CD.

I was making a legitimate critique of her last album.

14. Neonbeam

What am I on about? I was objecting to this which I see as unnecessary and clichéd assessment/ put down of "modern singers":

Because if you are hearing "dozens of new artists" you should know that "modern singers" in 2018 aren't more "manufactured" than they were in 1978 or 1988.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  15. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Far out, man. That's really, really good!

I'm in the camp that found the Lang/Viers albums a bit underwhelming. That might have to do with the fact I've had difficulty with Laura Viers, whose style can occasionally grate with me. But strangely that's a more recent thing since I really liked Carbon Glacier and Year of Meteors when they came out in the mid-noughts. Hmm..

Anyway, back to Neko: very excited for this. Her last one was great.

16. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Really?!? She's one of my favorite vocalists ever! I've never heard anything so amazing/beautiful as being in the front row right in front of her at her show at Mr Small's here in Pittsburgh a few years back. As the PA system there is all behind you, you're actually hearing in the front row what's on stage, and Neko's voice was so effortlessly powerful and full of feeling that it was overwhelming. I've never heard anything like it.

Can't wait to hear this new one, though I hope Paul Rigby is a bit more involved in the band as I miss his contribution lately.

Rupe33 likes this.
  17. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Second track from Hell-On: "Bad Luck"

DesertChaos and pghmusiclover like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

Thanks for the link. Great new song!

19. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Really excited for the album, the new songs are great!!

Tease of the Bad Luck clip, recreating the album cover, ..ok i guess?

20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I though k.d. Lang was the boring one on the trio album. I thoroughly enjoyed Case and Viers' songs. In any case I'm gonna abstain from the song previews since I'm already in like Flynn for the new album. But I am tempted...

21. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Neko Case/Anti-/Kings Road Merch are making it hard to not listen - they emailed me a link for the "singles" about an hour ago. I already had Hell-On as it was offered with purchase during the pre-sale, now I have Bad Luck also.

It's nice to give these songs a listen, I'm really enjoying them.

22. Last album of hers I bought was Middle Cyclone which was great. Not sure how I missed the last one. I guess I’ll pick up two LP’s!

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Well, I tried to stay away from the sneak peeks of the tio album but I wasn't able to resist then. This time I'm holding out though.

Trabik likes this.
  24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I'm liking the reggae feel of the bridge on Hell-On!

Trabik likes this.
  25. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I saw Neko Case a good few years ago in Manchester. She has such a good voice and she sang like an angel that night! I first heard her, as I did with so many great artists, on the John Peel show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.