New PASS XP-17 on the way!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by t3chnobrat, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t3chnobrat

t3chnobrat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was itching to get to the next level with my turntable and ordered a PASS XP-17 today to replace my Audio Alchemy PPA-1, which I like quite a bit.. but was also my first stand alone phono stage so I don't really know any better. I hope my expectations of a wow factor with what I think was a big jump are founded.. are there any former AA PPA-1 owners that have traded up that can say how high up the ladder they had to go to hear an improvement?

IanL likes this.
  2. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Not an XP 17, but for about 2 years or so Ive had an XP-15 phono which I absolutely adore. It didn't replace a PPA-1 so I can't speak to that, but the XP-15 replaced a Lehmann Cube SE2 (which replaced a Vincent Pho-8, which replaced a Cambridge Audio, which replaced some cheapies... on and on she goes...). Compared to the Lehmann Cube 2, the XP-15 is more dynamic, has way more loading and gain options, and perhaps the most striking is how UNclustered the sounds are, especially at high levels. The Lehmann is no slouch, but would sound muddy and sometimes break up on cymbals and sharp transients. This is no sweat with the XP-15. If the XP-17 is even better, which I've read it is, you're in for a definite treat! The XP-15 is neutral, smooth, non fatiguing and allows me to listen to vinyl for far longer than my wife probably cares for.

3. t3chnobrat

t3chnobrat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thats reassuring, thank you. I think those were some similar comps to what I have. I'm using a Soundsmith Zephyr MK III H/O MI cart so I'm kind of curious how an adjustable capacitance phono stage will sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.