New Penguin Cafe Orchestra remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member Thread Starter

So, I've got some of the original LPs.

I've got the standard Virgin CDs.

I've got the 2001 remasters - 'History' and 'A Brief History'.

Now, there are a whole set of 2008 remasters in digipacks.

Has anyone heard the latest ones? Can they really be worth buying again?

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well, I really only care about the first one. And I'll only be re-buying that if they use the original Obscure cover art. (which, last I heard, they do)

I also hope they correct the track listing from the old CD, which listed "ZOPF" as though it were a single song in seven movements, rather than seven separate songs performed by the Penguin offshoot band Zopf.

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm also anxious to hear about these. I have the old CD's (the US versions) and never bought any of the 2001 reissues and comps. (although I've always been curious about how the material offered in SACD sounded).

There's no doubt that the first album is the most distinctive and (to me) most interesting item in the catalogue, but I like the later stuff, too. Especially "Broadcasting from Home."

Here's to hoping the new reissues get it right!

Willowman: how do the 2001 tracks measure up to the original CDs?

L.

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I think the SACD sounds pretty good.

5. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Compared to.....?

L.

6. Electric

:confused:

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm sorry, I should have asked more clearly. I meant to ask if you meant that the SACD sounds good to you compared with the original CD's or with the concurrent redbook versions, etc.

L.

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

regarding 'Music From The PC'; I thought the old Virgin CD sounded much better than the LP. But I only ever owned the Polydor repress, not the Island original.

Anyone here have an Island original?

And none of those Polydor represses sounded even half-decent. Heck, I actually threw away my copy of White/Bryars's 'Machine Music' because it was so rice krispy-y that I couldn't listen to it and was sure I'd come across a decent copy sooner or later. That was about 30 years ago and it's still MIA from my collection. (I thought Bryars was popular! Why hasn't this one ever come out on CD?)

9. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I really do enjoy the sound (and music) of the SACD.
    I've nothing to compare it to, never mind :angel: .

10. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

I luv their music

What albums are there out as a SACD?

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Back in 2001, a single disk CD retrospective called "A Brief History" was released by Zopf and was also made available as an SACD. Here's a link to the Zopf shop page for the item:

https://www.i-pay.tv/zopfshop/detail.asp?id=85

L.

12. Willowman

Well, my hearing is impaired at the moment, so I can't really judge properly, but I don't recall there being a huge difference. Nice packaging on the boxed set, though!

13. Willowman

I have an original, on Obscure. Weird thing is, the tracks are different to the CD - the tracks on side A are in a different order, and the music on side B doesn't sound like it's PCO at all, although the matrix number in the deadwax looks correct.

14. Electric

Compared to Signs of Life (1987 EG), When in Rome (1988 EG) and Penguin Cafe Orchestra (1981 Virgin EG), the A Brief History SACD sounds significantly better.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

:confused: That is odd. The Polydor LP and Virgin CD are identical in content and order - only the cover art was changed.

16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Thanks! I wonder if it will stay in print. It has a nice selection.

L.

17. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Did anyone get any of these "1-bit" remasters? Really curious what that means and how these turn out.

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Didn't get any yet, but a bunch of 'em are sitting in the racks at Soundscapes here in Toronto (for about $14 each). Unfortunately, the cheap digipak covers reflect the inexpensive price.

And the cover of 'Music From The PC' is NOT the original Obscure! They used the same reissue artwork that the old Virgin CD used. :realmad:

They did, however, correct the 'Zopf' tracklisting screwup of the old CD credits.

19. tcj

tcj Senior Member

:shake: I thought they were going to restore the artwork?! Is there a reason they can't? Ugh, I don't like this - I don't want to use "cheap digipaks" and the artwork as a sign of how they sound, but I worry that it's an indication of the care taken in the entire project. I would think the fanbase would be willing to shell out a little extra for quality reissues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.