New Phono Preamp Help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JSanders, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSanders

JSanders Member Thread Starter

I've browsed several of the threads and have researched several different phono stage/preamps. I want to upgrade my turntable (which has a phonostage built in), which will require me to purchase a phono preamp.

Hoping someone can help me with this process and let me know what I'm looking/listening for when it comes to phono preamps.

My current hifi setup:
    • Turntable (TEAC-TN300, but will be upgrading in the future, maybe the RP6 or Clearaudio Concept)
    • Cambridge Audio CXN v2 (for digital music source)
    • Line Magnetic LM-34ia (integrated tube amplifier)
    • Forte III speakers
    I'm looking at the following phono preamps, but don't have any experience with any, and before I do a home-audition, I'm curious if anyone has experience and willing to lend suggestions. Preferably, what does one do better than the other, how do these compare to each other, any pros/cons? I understand a big factor is my turntable/cartridge, but I'm trying to narrow my understanding and research to preamps for right now, if that's possible.
    • Gold Note PH-10
    • Graham Slee Accession
    • McIntosh MP100
    Is there another phonostage that I didn't include that someone recommends more than these three, and which is still in the sub-$2K range. I've also seen reference to the Sutherland Insight (or 20/20).

Thank you all in advance.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They are all chalk and cheese. I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on any piece of gear without being able to hear it first.

With G.S., you can use the loan program that operates in the U.S.

With the others, you can work with a good local dealer if you have one, or you can play the buy and return game which a lot of people do.

I don't know what cartridge you are using, but if it's the stock cartridge that comes with the TEAC, I'll just say that's probably not going to give you the best POV to judge a phono preamp.

I would probably recommend upgrading your turntable first, or at least having a better idea of what cartridge you plan to use first.

This is important if you want to consider G.S. because G.S. doesn't do MM and MC in one box. They MM preamps + an MC head amp, or you get an MC only phono preamp.

3. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

I would think the Graham Slee Accesion but you may want to check out the Musical Surroundings NOVA III It's an update on the Phonomena II+ and the battery powered Nova II, all discrete design, It's an update on the Phonomena II+ and the battery powered Nova II, all discrete design but now with most of the power conversion handled internally and a dual mono construction with up to 65dB gain.

Swann36 likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I agree with all of that and you seem to have a rather wide price band.

Within that price band I would suggest adding the Moon 310LP phono stage to your list.

5. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I think you should think about getting the phono preamp along with the turntable package together. Think about your overall budget and wait until you can get both pieces plus at least a $500 budget for a cartridge. I don't think you need to spend $1200 to get a good preamp either.

It doesn't sound like you want MC capability (which is fine) as there are great MM carts as well. You will spend more getting the Clearaudio Concept, which I think you need to upgrade to the Satisfy arm. Both tables have speed control. The Rega may require spacers (the 2 piece design is best) for a non Rega cart (which I would recommend).

I don't like the Gold Note having a fixed 47k setting. That would stop me right there. If you get a phono amp with several gain settings (37, 47, 57, 67 ) options, you will have much more cartridge options, including MC in the future. You also want different loading options like 47k, 1k, 500ohm 300ohm etccc. If you spend $1500 on the phono stage, look for these options.

6. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I'd make use of the Graham Slee loan program at the very least ...he makes great kit that punches well above its weight :edthumbs:

patient_ot likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That's not quite right:

9 options [10Ω, 22Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 220Ω, 470Ω, 1000Ω, 22KΩ, 47KΩ]

Gold Note | PH-10

Those are the impedance settings on the Gold Note.

The problem for me would be the fixed MM input capacitance at 220pf, which is too high for the cartridges I personally like to use. Typically I like to see 100pf or less input capacitance on the MM side. It's much easier to add more capacitance than it is to take it away.

It's also worth noting that a member here had two of these things (with an upgraded power supply from Gold Note) fail in a row, which doesn't inspire confidence. Maybe he just had horrible luck though, or something in his system set off the problem. No idea.

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Wait on this purchase. If you're looking at an RP6, this means used. So you'll need a new cartridge. Make your decision based on the cartridge you'll end up with on the new deck. And as stated previously, you're likely to get a better deal if you can bundle items with your dealer. It might be that they throw in a cable. Something is better than nothing. I do like Musical Surrounding phono stages. The dual mono design is very quiet.

9. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

You are right. I think I got them confused but either way, having either one fixed is not a good idea. Plus I did go on to explain the whole deal.

Something like the Leahmann Black Cube SE covers most of the bases. There are others but it covers the gamete although a couple of more input impedance choice would be welcome.

Sensitivity for output level 775 mV/ 0 dB (with activated high gain switch):
    MM: 3.8 mV/1 kHz
    MC: 0.38 mV/1 kHz
    Gain 1 kHz:
    MM: 46 dB
    MC: 66 dB
    Maximum input level 1 kHz:
    MM: 45 mV
    MC: 4.5 mV
    Signal to noise ratio (RMS unweighted):
    MM: 71 dB
    MC: 63 dB
    Gain: 36 dB, 46 dB, 56 dB, 66 dB
    Channel separation: > 80 dB at 10 kHz
    Input impedance: 47 kohms, 1 kohm, 100 ohms
    Output impedance: 47 ohms
    Input capacitance: 100 pF
    Channel mismatch: typ. 0.5 dB
    Bass filter: 16 settings between 7 Hz and app. 90 Hz
    Power consumption: < 3 W
    Dimensions (WDH):
    Audio section: 4.5" x 4.9" x 2.0"
    PWX power supply: 3.7" x 9.2" x 1.8"
    Weight:
    Audio section: 1.3 lbs.
    PWX power supply: 2.2 lbs.

10. JSanders

JSanders Member Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.

First, I meant I wanted to upgrade to the Rega Plannar 6 (not the RP6). When I looked into upgrading turntables, both the Plannar 6 & Clearaudio Concept seem to be the next tier of turntables I should be looking into. Although admittedly, I would love to afford a Linn LP12 (majik).

Second, I am inexperienced and ignorant when it comes to different types of cartridges/stylus. I don't have much experience to offer insight as to which specific model I would like to put on my (future) turntable. But, based on what I've read, I think I know that I'd stay in the MM camp (before diving into the MC world).

Third, when I purchase a new turntable, I know that I'll need to also purchase a phono preamp. With that said, I don't want to buy something "entry level" and then experience the "need to upgrade" after a year or so. I'd like to find something that will be a solid purchase for many years to come. Based on that mindset, that's why I was looking at phono preamps that are $1500-2000 range. I don't want to spend much more than that. I also don't know if I need to spend that much, or would something <$1000 be a great option too (for example the Cambridge Audio Alva Duo).

Anyway, I'm just learning about phonostages and trying to learn what options I should be looking for (before giving them a test-listen). So I appreciated the comment that I should look at a phonostage that offers several gain settings as well different load options.

11. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

Take a look at the E.A.T. eglo petit. Superb phono stage under $2k. Wide range of loading options for MM and MC cartridges. Here is one review of numerous very positive reviews - EAT E-Glo Petit Phono Preamp .

12. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

People do tend to give advise based on their own liking's and experiences. Most of the time, I think they mean well, but it's just another opinion. It's important that you try to find out what you like, without having to spend / waste a lot of money first. Try to audition at local audio stores, join audio clubs, lend stuff from friends. If you consider buying things, always try out in your own system (for synergy) and acoustics.
    Of course I can tell you what I think sounds great and offers fantastic value for money, but it all comes down to taste. At a certain price point it's not so much about good vs bad........

patient_ot and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Buying used will get you way more bang for your dollar. Resale value would be something to consider as well in case you'd like to upgrade or get rid of it at some point.

I will mention that in your price range, the Lehmann Decade is the best phono stage I've listened to and have taken the liberty of writing an in-depth review of it which you can read here.

It's here! Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp review!

There is one on eBay for $1550 right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.