New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

To me yes.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

latheofheaven and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Short answer from me (this whole thread is the long answer): Yes, these recent reissues are up to standard.

Echoes Myron and The Gomper like this.
  4. Further

Further Forum Resident

Yes, the 2016 reissues are most certainly up to standard. Considering they're cut from digital, they sound wonderful.

I have everything up to and including The Wall and I only had problems with two of them. The first was the Wish You Were Here EU pressing, which sounds a little dull to me and also has the whooshing sound people talk about. amazon.co.uk told me they had quite a number of complaints on that one and told me to just keep it and refunded me immediately. The second was the US pressing of The Wall , which sounds really great but was severely warped. I decided to just keep it and flatten it.

One of the great surprises to me was how amazing Relics sounds! I've never heard those early singles sound so good. Excellent pressing and highly recommended for fans of the early Floyd.

5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

They (WYWH reissues) are not quite as good as a 1st UK press but try finding a good 1st UK press without crackle!
    The 2016 Pink Floyd reissues are my everyday players. My more valuable PF vinyl just for special times.

Dr. Metal MD and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Leonthepro

How do you mean dull?

7. Further

Further Forum Resident

Kind of muffled, lacking any high end sparkle. I know this was always a warm sounding album but the copy I bought is not the best I've heard it. Just my opinion.

8. Leonthepro

I wouldnt recommend the UK original then, its even lower in the EQ than the 2016 BG. Maybe a Japanese is best for you.

The Gomper and latheofheaven like this.
  9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. Both DS 2011 and BG 2016 have their strengths. Just wanted to clarify that I don't rate them high when compared to 1st US, 1&2ndUK or even early German press. I don't have those myself, but spent the whole summer few years ago, at my cousin in Europe. He's an audiophile and Pink Floyd record collector. I have 1975 Australian CBS copy that eclipses both digitally sourced reissues from 2011,2016.

Regards

GyroSE, Solace and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Awesome, thanks guys

11. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

That’s my impression as well. The BG 2016 sounds nice but is in no way comparable to the drama and depth of early U.K. or German pressings. Out of curiosity I did an A-B test last night and the difference was obvious.

GyroSE, latheofheaven and DrZhivago like this.
  12. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

The original Aussie pressings sound great too. I bought a mint pretty much unplayed copy of The Wall and it sounds bloody phenomenal. On the same haul I got first Aussie pressings of WYWH and Animals as well, and they sound fantastic - when I play the 2016 reissues they sound good, but I always can't help but think that something is missing - I can't put my finger on it. But the originals sound more involving.

Edit - Thanks to the above poster, 'drama and depth' pretty much nails it.

DrZhivago and latheofheaven like this.
  13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree with you guys, the 2011 and 2016 are very good but they don’t beat the UK 1st nor the German A2/B2 IMHO. The drama and depth described by Solace is really there in another way than on the two most recent reissues. Here in Sweden the German A2/B2 is quite common in the used bins and is often sold cheap as it doesn’t get the same attention as the original UK pressings. To these ears the German A2/B2 is the best sounding among the different pressings I have in my collection.

DrZhivago and Solace like this.
  14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Just curious - is that the 062-96 918 first issue or 064-96 918 second? Both have similar matrix numbers which is confusing.

15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I’ve the 062 version but now I’ll have to find a 064 as well to find out if it sounds the same. :D Which one do you have?

16. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

A 064 second. It sounds brilliant.

GyroSE likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

Which album, it depends.

Nielsoe likes this.
  18. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Which album? All 3: BG 2016, UK 1975 A1/B3, Germany 1976 064-96 918 A3/B3 (plus Germany 1985 DMM 064-7460351, which I like a lot). The 2016 was the least engaging of the lot.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  19. Leonthepro

No I mean which Pink Floyd album did you use.

20. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The one we were discussing: Wish You Were Here.

21. Leonthepro

Thought so, but Im sure this thread is regarding all Floyd albums so its unclear after a while of not naming which album.

22. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I have no complaints with the CDs but it would be a cool package.

kendo likes this.
  23. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

My copy of The Wall was horribly pressed, constant ticks and noise on side 2. Dark Side of the Moon and Animals are great though.

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Maybe I am strange, but I prefer live concerts on CD. The less I have to change sides, discs the better when it comes to concerts, however I do like studio albums on record. My CDs of all the live albums are enough for me.

25. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I understand your view perfectly, it's anoying changing vinyl all the time, but since it's the only album that wasn't released in that format and having those photos from the album in a great booklet and all the artwork that is present on the cd in a wide format it's very attempting, in my opinion! And obviously The Wall Live Blu-Ray/DVD from the original tour 1980-1981 it's the next big thing to be released from Pink Floyd, no doubt about that. I truly hope that David and Roger will bury the axe!

Colocally likes this.