New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I actually have an unopened copy of the box set that I should probably sell. back in my college days I bought everything pink floyd that I could afford. I had a record player back then, but I also had old copies of all the albums and I think just bought this because more money than brains. College.

sharedon and ODShowtime like this.
  2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Not a problem for me in College.

3. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I have all of them, though I bought them individually so dont have the neat box that was available.

As someone's already said, theses were vinyl issues of the digitally remastered albums so more than likely digitally sourced. I haven't listened to them in ages but I'll do a bit of comparing at the weekend. My memory of listening to them is that WYWH and The Wall sounded pretty good but DSOTM and Animals less so. I vaguely remember comparing this DSOTM to the EMI100 pressing (also from 1997) and there being only one winner.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

My guess that it is either from on line or a record store..

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I don't know where should this be posted or mentioned but today Learning To Fly (2019 Remix)(2021 Edit) has appeared on the streaming services:

This should be available on all the usual services (Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, Apple Music, Youtube Music) so pick your preferred.

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The shape of things to come.

Haggischomper likes this.
  7. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Probably they will anounce soon that Momentary Lapse of Reason 2019 Mix will be reissue as a stand alone version on Cd and Lp. Something that was expected by the fans for a while!

8. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

9. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Just noticed the prices. Yikes.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Prices look fine to me.

Jack and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  11. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Cant say I think this is any better than the original. Though, turd-polishing is notoriously difficult to be fair.

12. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

I'm a sucker, I'll buy the CD & LP. I'm not liking the new cover. Really??? The ultralight? This looks wrong imo. It should remain in the background.

13. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Me seeing this thread title :)

Me noticing it was started 5 years ago and has 602 pages :(

14. Same with me. I have the original release, the 2016 Remaster, but I want this LP as it's cut at 45RPM.

zinan likes this.
  15. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I have a love/hate relationship with this album but I've been waiting a long time for the remix so I'll be getting the LP. Definitely interested in the 5.1 mix, too, which I think could be very good so I'll be getting the overpriced cd/BluRay too. Ugh.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  16. blunosr

blunosr Forum Resident

It’s the Canadian version of Barnes & Noble or WH Smith’s. Books, magazines, overpriced junk for you and your house, and finally a small selection of vinyl. Not really worth looking into unless someone gives you a gift card but occasionally a handful of audiophile pressings pop up.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  17. Sir Talbot Buxomly

If anyone's interested, here's a couple of samples of the 1997 EMI100 DSOTM and the 1977 Digital reissue. The volume level of the digital issue is a bit lower (I should've really levelled them out in Goldwave) but I think I still think you can hear the digital version sounds more compressed than the EMI100 pressing.

[​IMG]

Dropbox - DSOTM_EMI100.wav - Simplify your life

Dropbox - DSOTM_1997digital.wav - Simplify your life

Goldy likes this.
  18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Hasn’t it been confirmed that this EMI pressing was digitally sourced? And not remastered for vinyl?

Some of the EMI 100th lp reissues were analog sourced, supposedly sound incredible and are highly sought out. This one, however, is not.

But that doesn’t mean the lp doesn’t sound better than the same mastering on cd.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Solace likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I will give you the short version.

The reissues series has been pretty well received. They all sound great, and some sound really great--solid mastering and not too many complaints on pressing quality.

The records are not AAA. Division Bell is not a new mastering.

UK originals are held to sound better for several early titles including Dark Side and Meddle.

Although they are all really good, several of the reissues sound absolutely fantastic---particularly The Wall, The Final Cut, and PULSE.

Ragged Glory, hi_watt and theMot like this.
  20. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

PULSE sounds definitely NOT as fantastic as the original 1995 4LP release.

ultron9 and markmck79 like this.
  21. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Also Relics is a highlight. Animals is quite solid.

ultron9, Szeppelin75 and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. czyhorse75

czyhorse75 Forum Resident

I will not be purchasing. I can’t stand 45rpm versions of lp records. The audio quality does not offset the pain in the ass of getting up every song or two and changing the record. Also for those of us with certain audiophile gear (music hall mmf 5) you have to literally remove the platter and change belt location to adjust speed. I like to drink a beverage or two when listening and going through all that hassle after a few drinks is not fun.

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Considering their very affordable price, the 2016+ releases are a real bargain and should be the starting point of a PF vinyl collection. Original and other exotic pressings could be acquired at a later stage if such items are still available in VG to NM playing condition.

Here’s my personal album SQ ranking from 5 years ago. My assessment didn’t change since then. Meddle and AHM are my 2 favorite PF albums and unfortunately were a bit of a disappointment.

Exceptional
    PATGOD
    OBC
    TDB

1st rank
    MORE
    DSOTM
    ANIMALS
    THE WALL

2nd rank
    ASOS
    Ummagumma
    WYWH DS edition

3rd rank
    WYWH BG edition
    Meddle
    AHM

jgrillo, Echoes Myron and Solace like this.
  24. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

For PATGOD, are you talking about the 2016 stereo pressing or the RSD mono pressing?

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

All in stereo.

The mono version of PATGOD and ASOS are top tier as well. ASOS in mono was quite an eye opener for me.