New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I got one am really happy about this. Still regret not being able to get the RSD version but this will suffice me.

kt66brooklyn and jacden like this.
  2. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Excellent news. This record should stay in print forever.

3. Kuro

Kuro Forum Resident

Is there a thread that describes more about the German release? Thank you.

4. Johnny YesNo

Johnny YesNo Forum Resident

I was glad I heard about the Piper Mono reissue on here, it was a jewel bargain. I just received mine and it has to be one of the quietest pressings I own, that thing is dead silent! The sound is very warm and full even though I don't have any mono gear.

When they were originally recorded in mono, they can definitely blow away some of the fake sounding recreated in stereo versions from back then. I hate it when you have vocals and one instrument in one speaker, drums and another instrument in the other speaker, with absolutely nothing at all in the middle, and zero imaging or soundstage. I wish I could pick up great new mono pressings like this for all my favorite 60's releases.

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I like the (real) stereo Piper mix more than the mono, it's very much of it's time. Likewise Axis: Bold of Love from the same year, I didn't like the mono mix of Axis at all.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

A poll about this will probably endup in a 50-50 results. While I like to listen to mono albums, my preference goes with stereo.

To me SOS in mono really enhanced my listening experience. I feel the album mix sounds less disjointed in mono than stereo.

7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Piper was recorded on 4-track tape and was mixed to real stereo, not simulated stereo. Some early singles were never mixed in stereo so they were "electronically enhanced for stereo playing" but Piper was not subject to this practice. I'll never understand how the multitracks got tossed and only the mono and/or stereo masters survived.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's unfortunate, but in 1967 few would have foreseen a use for the multitracks in the future. Remixes were uncommon and mutichannel mixes were still a few years in the future with quadrophonic. There was certainly nothing like the parade of remasters and remixes that have existed since the 90's on the horizon. When an single or album dropped, that was it - it was either going to go into multiple pressings (using the stereo or mono mixdowns) or it was going to go out of print. The multitracks were the least valuable part of the process. We're probably very lucky to have the stereo and mono tapes of albums like Piper, the success of which was far from certain.

9. Johnny YesNo

Johnny YesNo Forum Resident

I didn't realize they originally recorded Piper in both stereo and mono, I need this in stereo now also. I've had such terrible luck with 60's stereo LP's that are weak and artificial sounding, they sound anemic on my system.

10. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Get the UK version of Nice Pair. Uses the same metals as the original UK stereo Piper (which is now insanely expensive).
    It definitely won't sound weak! As a bonus, you also get the original UK mastering of Saucerful as well.

11. jdorsey

jdorsey Forum Resident

Both mono and stereo are essential for Piper. Nothing beats "Woo Woo, Doi Doi" in stereo.

LarsO, Buddybud and Max Florian like this.
  12. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

This exactly what I did when scooping up Floyd vinyl 20 years ago, and it's the most affordable way to get OG masters of these two LP's.

steveharris likes this.
  13. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

The German "Pair" is also quite good.

14. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

FYI, I've noticed that some of the 2016 vinyl reissues are becoming pretty scarce. Meddle seems to be in short supply, and I just paid a lot for the Atom Heart Mother reissue. There may be others that are going out of print. I wonder if they'll be re-pressed soon.

15. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I believe they just repressed Dark Side, WYWH, and The Wall last year. So who knows if they plan to repress these others.

Then they decided to repress the Mono S/T and Saucer so I would guess the stereo's of those don't get repressed

16. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Highly recommend folks picking up the Meddle reissue of they haven’t yet. It sounds fantastic.

17. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

It really does. I have never heard an original (UK or US) but I do own a lot of records and this one sounds better than most of them, IMO.

Max Florian and Score17 like this.
  18. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Seconded on this. Really nice sound.

EDIT - Make that thirded.

NettleBed and Score17 like this.
  19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

20. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered it and should be here tomorrow!

tinnox likes this.
  21. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Just got my copy, gonna clean and spin in a few mins.
    :cool::agree:

tinnox likes this.
  22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Let me know what you think, just listened to it twice in a row, awesome !

cmarti likes this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Tell us what you think !

Long Live Analog likes this.
  24. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I've been listening to it (vinyl) - I think it sounds fabulous. It's been 20 years since I listened to it (also on vinyl, back in the day) so I can't compare to the original, I've forgotten what a completely lovely sad album this is.

tinnox and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I’ve listened to it 2 times already and it’s wonderful. My pressing is good and the the vinyl is quite. Nothing but pure music flows out of the Aerial 7t’s. The sound quality is excellent. Fantastic! Highly recommended!

tinnox likes this.