New Pretenders LP, "Hate for Sale" Coming in May 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JerseyPride, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

2. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

It's nice that she still has her same voice.

dee, DTK, dlemaudit and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Wow. This all sounds great, I'm hearing shades of Learning To Crawl. It's a buy for me.

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

That voice !!

unclefred likes this.
  6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

This is a fantastic rocker.

Davido likes this.
  7. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

I love how she's maintained her voice over the years.

Aftermath and DTK like this.
  8. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

I think co-writing the album with James was a VERY smart move!!!

windfall likes this.
  9. Andrew Blaker

Andrew Blaker Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one! First album since (I think) Loose Screw (2002) featuring Martin Chambers. Glad this one is a bit more an actual group album, as opposed to 2016's outing.

10. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

#5:

This is shaping up to be the best Pretenders album since "Learning To Crawl", maybe even "Pretenders II". It's certainly the first Pretenders album since "Pretenders II" to have that heavy wall-to-wall guitar sound. Excellent. Chrissie's vocals are fantastic, too.

11. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Another winner. Love the Martin Chambers touch on this stuff.

12. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't think of many vocalists that are this capable of sounding like their vintage selves. Some of these songs could be Learning to Crawl outtakes.

13. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Wow! Hearing this track has got me pumped. I haven’t been excited about new Pretenders in ages. This definitely has the feel of something from their first three albums. New album out in August.

14. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

I just realized this album is set to come out this Friday. Looking forward to hearing it in full. I think at least 1/3 of the tracks were posted to YouTube as advance singles which makes it kind of anticlimactic, but it'll be great to hear it all in full.

I have to agree with some of the comments above about Chrissie's voice. I can't believe it sounds the same as it did in 1980. Female voices in particular seem to significantly change with age, so it's kind of a wonder.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe it's the vegetarian diet!

16. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Flashback to the release of Learning to Crawl for me. Chain Gang and My City has been out for a year, and radio had been playing Middle of the Road and 2000 Miles for a bit. So by album release we were left with 6 new songs. Great album regardless, and no fault of the band, but yes sometimes that can make the experience anti climatic.

omikron, Matthew Tate and Fkrol like this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've been listening to it for a couple of weeks on Qobuz. It's pretty damn good and recalls their earlier days in the early 80s.

Dave 81828384 and Fkrol like this.
  18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I've maintained complete radio silence myself. Haven't heard a peep and look forward to being pleasantly surprised!

Based on what I've been reading here, this sounds like a real winner!

dee, Remy, groovelocked and 5 others like this.
  19. Chuckorama

Chuckorama Forum Resident

Listening to this now and enjoying it. Chrissie sounds great. As I've always said, there's a correlation between the quality of a Pretenders album and the number of artists appearing on the cover. This one is no exception.

[​IMG]

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Off to pick up the vinyl version shortly as my local store just received it. What version did you get and how is the sound quality?

21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Are there multiple vinyl versions of this? I've only seen the standard vinyl listed everywhere.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Same here, my copy from my local store is standard black and the owner to;d me that was the only version listed that he saw...

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Listened to the vinyl version twice last night. My copy is nice and flat, quiet, and looks great, but most importantly sounds fantastic! Really nice job on the mastering of this.

My favorite two Pretenders records are the first album and "Learning To Crawl". This is now my third favorite and can sit besides those two with pride. Having James Walbourne on guitar and help with the writing has just given Chrissie Hynde the spark needed to deliver their best record since LTC. A quick listen and not a second lost on this awesome new record. Her singing sounds as good as day one and what a treat this is. After the train wreck of "Alone" which Dan Auerbach helped derail, this is one hell of a comeback. Hey, I loved the old Black Keys, but he he messed up Alone big time. Check out the awesome take on Reggae on "Lighting Man".

Highly Recommended if a fan of their classic sound!!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    laf848, dee, Steve Carroll and 4 others like this.
  24. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Anyone dl the hr version? 44.1/24 so doubtful there is much difference between this and the cd but curious.

25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It’s good that Martin Chambers is still around. It keeps the continuity going from the original band to the present day. I really liked Chrissie Hynde’s solo album, Stockholm, and preferred it to the last Pretenders album, but this sounds like a return to form.

laf848, Aftermath, dee and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.