New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never saw the 2007 BD - I tried to rent it when I got a copy of the 2016 BD but couldn't locate it at Netflix.

I think the 2016 BD is fine, but it's "silk purse/sow's ear" territory - it's just not a movie that's ever gonna look great:

Purple Rain (Remastered) [Blu-Ray] (1984)

2. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jungle Love was a Jesse Johnson song, not Prince. So, I very much doubt he recorded a vocal for it.

3. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

This is not correct...
    Jesse co-wrote the song with Prince. Jesse released his demo not too long ago. That demo of the song he gave to Prince is instrumental. Prince remade/finished the song and made it into a real song. He wrote the lyrics and improved the instrumental... So, Prince had a huge influence on the song we know as Jungle Love. I'm 100% sure that Prince has a demo with his voice. Jesse's demo was an instrumental...

jhm and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

9th June wasn't it for the release of PR Deluxe? Not far away, silence is deafening from Warners. Are they waiting for the 1st anniversary of his death to pass or something before they actually release any concrete details?

I think we have been here before on this. I'm having doubts now (like the vinyl reissue program) that this is showing up at all.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. I check every day for news. I even check the Sgt. Peppers thread for news about the PR Deluxe set. Heh. I really hope it doesn't get cancelled.

The one year anniversary of his death would be sort of a back door way to announce it, wouldn't it? A bit morbid.

englishbob likes this.
  6. englishbob

It could be viewed a bit morbid by outsiders and the press, but also uplifting for the fans to look forward to it. For the fans I don't think it would be viewed as a cynical marketing ploy as it was something he had personally worked on (maybe not to this revealing extent as it was originally rumoured to be 2 discs) and we have know it has been coming for a while.

However, if no details are presented by the end of April, then I'm calling it, probably cancelled again. No doubt tied up in some endless estate/rights battle.

7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

There is a big celebration of Prince at Paisley Park from April 20th to April 23rd. This seems like the sort of thing that they would announce at such an event.

8. The only thing that keeps me in hope that it won't get cancelled is that there was an official announcement for the 4Ever set along with the Purple Rain set. 4Ever saw the light of day, so my hope is that this one will follow suit. But yes, there's that niggling feeling that the estate/rights battle might put an end to it regardless; though to my understanding, Purple Rain Deluxe is seen to be WB's last hurrah with Prince's catalog of this nature, i.e. unreleased archive stuff, which was by agreement with P, himself. I could be wrong, though; I'm just going by the things I've read.

The friggin' weird thing is that it doesn't even seem like a year. That's so weird.

9. englishbob

I'm interested to know what formats this is coming out on. A vinyl version of the music would be a dream, with the Blu-Ray concerts.

10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

So, a credible source claims to have unearthed the contents of the PR deluxe set:

EXCLUSIVE - Purple Rain Deluxe Tracklist Revealed!

If this is true, I am pleased that WB haven't gone for a wallet busting super duper deluxe set. There's more than enough on disc 3 to keep me interested (quality studio versions of Electric Intercourse and The Dance Electric? Oh yeah!)

lpfreak1170 and YMC4 like this.
  11. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

If that is the tracklisting, I'd be pretty happy with it!!

opiumden likes this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Looks good but if it's correct Warners were certainly creative with the description of "2 full albums of unreleased material". Everything on disc 2 has been released before.

13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Fantastic third disc. I don't reqlly need the 2nd one, but I think it's great for the newcomer

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Take with a huge grain of salt, but very interesting if true....

Hi guys,

just to clear up some of the comments in this thread, which seem to be based on presumptions.

I ask you to have some trust in this post; please be aware that my sources have asked to shed some light on the leaked tracklist:

- Father's Song is the full 5 minute, completely unheard, finished studio version. Mixed, mastered, multi-layered keyboard parts and all.

- Electric Intercourse is the finished studio version we didn't even knew existed for sure! NOT the 1983 rehearsal.

- Possessed is a completely different vocal version than has ever been circulating

- Katrina's Paper Dolls is not the known, circulating version

- - Computer Blue and Dance Electric: the full, mastered, HQ version that always deserved a proper release.

- We Can F**k is the epic 10 minute work-out that no-one has ever heard. Prince´s drumming on this one is right up there with any classic p-funk track you know.

We´re really, literally, talking about Straight From The VAULT material here.

Obviously, it's impossible for me at this moment to submit some form of proof to back up my claim, but all I ask for you is to wait 'till the release is out there before we all pass judgment. If I turn out to be wrong, I´ll be the first to acknowledge! But I am positive MINDS WILL BE BLOWN!

Also, disc 2 does contain prev.released material, but you will be surprised on the mastering done and sound quality!

For now, patience and best wishes. It´s a tough week for all of us.

Sifi

taken from:
    EXCLUSIVE - Purple Rain Deluxe Tracklist Revealed!

15. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

digital lossless version of 'God (instrumental)' alone makes disc 2. worth it for me.

16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Yep, that and the 12" version of "Another Lonely Christmas". Would still like to see the extended version of "17 Days" that Questlove tweeted about a few months back get a release.

daveidmarx and YMC4 like this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This track listing was also posted on Variety.com:

Tracklist for Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ Deluxe Edition Leaks — Unreleased Tracks Revealed

They are basing their reporting on the same post that was linked to earlier, but they add: " A rep for Warner Bros., which is releasing the album, had not responded to Variety’s request for comment or confirmation. However, a source close to the situation confirmed the tracklist’s general accuracy."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

For convenience, here are the reported CD tracklistings. No word on the video component that I've seen (aside from the earlier, apparently discredited, report).

Disc 2: Edits & extended mixes

1. When Doves Cry (7” single edit)
    2. 17 Days (single edit)
    3. Let’s Go Crazy (single edit)
    4. Erotic City (single edit)
    5. Purple Rain (single edit)
    6. God (single edit)
    7. God (Love Theme From Purple Rain) (instrumental)
    8. Another Lonely Christmas (single edit)
    9. I Would Die 4 U (single edit)
    10. Baby I’m a Star (single edit)
    11. Take Me With U (single edit)
    12. Erotic City (extended version)
    13. Another Lonely Christmas (extended version)
    14. I Would Die 4 U (extended version)
    Disc 3: From the Vault

1. The Dance Electric (11:29) bandmate Andre Cymone)
    2. Love and Sex (5:00)
    3. Computer Blue (“Hallway Speech” version) (12:18)
    4. Velvet Kitty Cat (2:32)
    5. Katrina’s Paper Dolls (3:30)
    6. We Can F— (10:17)
    7. Electric Intercourse (studio version) (4:57)
    8. Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden (6:25)
    9. Possessed (7:56)
    10. Wonderful A— (6:24)
    11. Father’s Song (5:30)

Matthew Tate, rednax and JasonA like this.
  19. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Looking very forward to this. Disc 3 is awesome.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I want this. Now.

21. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Disc 2 is missing Let's Go Crazy (Dance Mix).
    Disc 4 is gonna be the Syracuse show, with completely remastered audio/video.
    Most of Disc 3 is previously unheard by anybody - straight from the Vault.

Matthew Tate and DeeThomaz like this.
  22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I've actually never seen the Syracuse show (from the old VHS). So this would be very welcome to me, even if it's already been released. The set list is certainly Purple Rain centric.

Prince: Set list for March 30, 1985, concert at Syracuse Carrier Dome

Let's Go Crazy
    Delirious
    Little Red Corvette
    Take Me With U
    Yankee Doodle Dandy (Interlude)
    Do Me, Baby
    Irresistible Bitch
    Possessed
    How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
    Let's Pretend We're Married
    International Lover
    God
    Computer Blue
    Darling Nikki
    The Beautiful Ones
    When Doves Cry

Encore:
    I Would Die 4 U
    Baby I'm a Star

Encore 2:
    Purple Rain

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Wait...what?

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Disc 3 seems really cool!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Posted this in the other thread too.... A bit bummed that the legendary Avenue show isn't included now.

Ah that Disc 3 is awesome. Dance Electric is easily one of my favorite Prince outtakes... And anyone who hasn't heard the long Computer Blue is in for a treat. Plus Possessed and Wonderful Ass and We Can Funk in great quality.

Wondering if Electric Intercourse is the live version with overdubs, or a true studio version? And it would be amazing if one of the concert films is the original Avenue show (which has been bootlegged, albeit in bad quality). [EDIT: Good news for EI, bad for Avenue.]

Interesting what's not included: the extended versions of Beautiful Ones, Darling Nikki, and Take Me With U. There's also a rumored long version of 17 Days (the "single edit" is the only official one) but it's never surfaced.

DeeThomaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.