New Release: Dub Side Of The Moon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Patrick, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member Thread Starter

Just came across a real neat new release cd. DSOTM done reggae style by the Easy Star All Stars on the Easy Star Label. The concept works amazingly well. Fairly true to the "real" album as far as songs, song order etc. Includes four bonus tracks including "Great Dub In The Sky".
    The original lends itself suprisingly well to the reggae beat.
    The "heartbeat" that stars the LP turns into nyabinghi drumming.
    The bit I get the biggest kick out of however, is the opening loop of MONEY,
    the sound loop of of the cash register ringing and coins spilling has been replaced by the sound of a bic lighter clicking, a water pipe bubbling, and a guy coughing profusely after a big hit. Gotta love the humor there.
    Artists include Sluggy Ranks, The Meditations, Dr. Israel, and Frankie Paul.
    If you are into both reggae and Pink Floyd you will probably get a real kick out of this cd.

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

While I am into reggae and I find this concept amusing, what generally gets pawned off as "reggae" these days is generally "dancehall." This type of music is basically a reggae beat with rap on top. So, is this really a "reggae" recording or a "dancehall" thing?

Cheers,
    Chris

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

For example, Shabba Ranks is "dancehall" and not reggae.

4. GregY

GregY New Member

It's very good. I've read at least two reviews where the opinion was basically "You think it would be a novelty at best but it's actually quite good."

And as overplayed as the original is, it's nice to hear a new perspective on the material.

5. Patrick

No, it is not dancehall. No toasting and no uptempo stuff either.
    The pace is fairly true (SLOW) to the real DSOTM. Laid back.
    The lyrics are virtually intact as well. Sounds like much of the instrumental work could have been sampled right of the P.F. album, keyboard and synthesizer parts especially.
    Copyright hassles soon come?

6. GregY

GregY New Member

Huh? No it doesn't. It sounds like what it is, a faithful reggae version of the original material.

7. Patrick

Huh? What? Must have been the herb.....

8. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Well, maybe I will give it a spin when I see it. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they kept away from the dancehall stuff.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.